• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Pit Parenting Thread

Both my boys have all last names. Though their middle names are less common last names.

Their first names are last names too? I forsee great things happening to them. I confuse people because my last name is different than both of my siblings, and my first name is their last name (well, before my sister got married), which leads to much hilarity when explaining all this to new people.

I don't want my kids to be named Axis or DyShawn but I definitely would never want to name kids David, John, Josh, Adam, Katherine, Sarah, etc. So soooo boring and common.

Obviously no offense to people on here who have inevitably named their kids that (due to the aforementioned commonness of the name).

I am sort of kind of in this boat. On the one hand, I like the idea of having family names (the Bug's middle name is my grandma's middle name), but we did also shy away from "traditional" names. I don't know that I'd call them boring and common, since I do think they are sort of classic and timeless (maybe those are just nicer adjectives saying the same thing?).

Their first names are last names too? I forsee great things happening to them. I confuse people because my last name is different than both of my siblings, and my first name is their last name (well, before my sister got married), which leads to much hilarity when explaining all this to new people.

Yep. All 3 names last names.

I am sort of kind of in this boat. On the one hand, I like the idea of having family names (the Bug's middle name is my grandma's middle name), but we did also shy away from "traditional" names. I don't know that I'd call them boring and common, since I do think they are sort of classic and timeless (maybe those are just nicer adjectives saying the same thing?).

Yeah we ruled out anything in the top 100, but obviously liked kind of preppy names.

one hs friend named her kid "Wells" and another acquaintance named their kid "Banks."

:sick:

it's one thing to like a preppy name (and I really like E and S). it's another to make your kid seem like a douche before he even has a chance to say otherwise.

note: banks and wells are not related.

if they were, though - fargo would be an awesome 3rd child's name (or dog's name).

Always thought "Utah" would be a great name for a dog, though I'd really like to go with "Indiana" in 100 years after Lucy passes on.

Just to play devil's advocate here, why are Wells and Banks any different than other traditional last names that people like to use as first names? They all sound pretentious and like you're trying to go up in class, vis a vis your kid's name.

And as the parent of a John, I take no offense to thinking it's boring, because it is. Names to me are strictly a utility. I don't really care if anyone thinks a name is cute or interesting, as long as it is easily spelled and pronounced and not going to be mistaken for the rest of the kid's life. And frankly, while you may think a name is exciting or interesting, the truth is that it's probably going to be dated in 20 years like a Jennifer or Tiffany or if it's even more exciting or unusual, will just be a pain in the ass for the kid's life.

Just to play devil's advocate here, why are Wells and Banks any different than other traditional last names that people like to use as first names? They all sound pretentious and like you're trying to go up in class, vis a vis your kid's name.

And as the parent of a John, I take no offense to thinking it's boring, because it is. Names to me are strictly a utility. I don't really care if anyone thinks a name is cute or interesting, as long as it is easily spelled and pronounced and not going to be mistaken for the rest of the kid's life. And frankly, while you may think a name is exciting or interesting, the truth is that it's probably going to be dated in 20 years like a Jennifer or Tiffany or if it's even more exciting or unusual, will just be a pain in the ass for the kid's life.

Truthfully, I couldn't tell you why other than just "because they sound more pretentious." The family/person that comes to mind with the name 'Wells' is much snootier than ____.

Truthfully, I couldn't tell you why other than just "because they sound more pretentious." The family/person that comes to mind with the name 'Wells' is much snootier than ____.
I get that a little bit. I always associate Banks with the rich kid from the Mighty Ducks, making it seem douchier, but in reality, it's no different than the million Parkers or Coopers. They all seem pretentious.

I actually know an older Wells. It's his middle name that he uses only because he has a colleague by the same name at his job. He's a good dude, so it doesn't seem THAT bad on the pretentionometer, among other last names as first names.

Trendy names are old people names. Any name that is trendy now is going to sound like Myrtle, Doris, Bernie, Ethel etc. do to us now in 70 years. The reason we say they are old people names is because they were trendy in the past and went back out of vogue. Same will happen with all the trendy names today. That said, the trendy names today are WAY more pretentious sounding than previous.

Trendy names are old people names. Any name that is trendy now is going to sound like Myrtle, Doris, Bernie, Ethel etc. do to us now in 70 years. The reason we say they are old people names is because they were trendy in the past and went back out of vogue. Same will happen with all the trendy names today. That said, the trendy names today are WAY more pretentious sounding than previous.

it is funny to think that in 50 years, people naming their kids will be like "oh Aiden and Avery? What old people names!"

I get that a little bit. I always associate Banks with the rich kid from the Mighty Ducks, making it seem douchier, but in reality, it's no different than the million Parkers or Coopers. They all seem pretentious.

I actually know an older Wells. It's his middle name that he uses only because he has a colleague by the same name at his job. He's a good dude, so it doesn't seem THAT bad on the pretentionometer, among other last names as first names.

this definitely comes into play. I also think the fact that they end in S like that makes it worse. Cooper doesn't sound bad to me; but Banks is akin to naming the kid 'Coopers' in my mind. Not that I'm advocating naming someone "Bank" to lose the S, but the S on the end just makes it grating to me.

Lennon was just born to a frat bro. Awful name?

Baby was a beast. 9lbs and 3oz. 22.5 inches. Sweet Jesus.

Lennon could go either way to me. I don't hate it but don't think it's overly pretentious. It's no Banks.

Would never want a kid named John or David, but Lennon is okay. Totally different wavelengths from me, as Lennon is fucking STUPID. If it's a middle name because you totally dig the Beatles, then whatevs. But as a first name, enjoy that association to an iconic figure with whom you may or may not identify (but will always be everyone's first identification with you) for the rest of your life!

Back