• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Pit Parenting Thread

Well, I have a 6.5 year old stepson and he sucks shit a lot of the time, so I don't know man. He does this thing where he cries out "whaaaat?" when anything is said about the status quo changing. It's not a defiant "what," it's a whiney, incredulous, defeated "Whaaat?" like you or I would cry out when the receiver drops the ball in the end zone in the final seconds. But he does it for every fucking thing, unless it is exactly what he wants. Time to eat - "whaaat?" Help set the table - "whaaat?" Please carry the tiny take-out box with your half-eaten burger in it from the car into the house "Whaaaat?" Everything. Sometimes, if he really doesn't want to do something, he combines this "whaat" with vigorous eye-rubbing that not only looks like crying, but causes him to tear up. It drives me fucking crazy and we've gotten to the point where he is in trouble if we hear it.

As for the crying. He cries at the drop of a hat. I'm beside myself at that shit, I never did that. At his baseball practice the other day they were doing base-running relay races and he started crying because a kid on the opposing team for that drill was putting his foot out as if to trip guys as they ran by. No one was tripped, but my kid's team lost the drill and he fucking cried that that caused it. I was like dude, get back out there. That's sports, your opponent always going to try to get in your head to mess you up. He cried all the way home about that shit. I was talking to the mother of his friend on the bleachers during it and I asked her if her kid cried like that. She pointed out that the ones with older brothers stop crying around 2, but the ones with older sisters (like both of ours) cried like that until they were fucking 6 or 7. ugh he cried last night that his quesadilla wasn't big enough after he heard us mention it was from the appetizer section of the menu. then he didn't even finish it...

This sounds JUST like a child in my family. He's not a bad kid, just sooo annoying.

This sounds JUST like a child in my family. He's not a bad kid, just sooo annoying.

yeah when he's cool he is really cool. Loves sports and remembers stats and game times and channels, loves music and knows all the popular songs and artists. Smart as hell and is generally regarded as a great kid. Its just lately he has really been annoying with this crying/reactionary thing he does. We have chalked it up as a phase where he is asserting himself, or trying to. I'm done with this phase though, Ive really leaned on him about it. Couple of times I could see him fighting the urge hard, knowing I was watching him and waiting for it.

Hell yeah, one day care payment done, time to start recouping my tax investment with some public schooling.

Hell yeah, one day care payment done, time to start recouping my tax investment with some public schooling.

I'm 9 months away from never having a daycare payment again. And those 9 months are only for a partial day program. So close...

How far is college?

No preschool here, just an afterschool nanny.

College tuition bubble will burst before my kids go to college, so I'm in the clear.

That's my plan. No way college stays this expensive right? Right?

That's my plan. No way college stays this expensive right? Right?

Yes, there is no doubt that our respective state legislatures will soon begin appropriating so much more money to their public universities in order to lower tuition.

cd138c3e5b0c35a7cad1902f5101c48296e5e6e48d671f4682225c4b1111792f.jpg

So we returned from the beach last week and now all the Boy can talk about is going to the State Fair. I have no idea how this obsession arose, but we keep telling him the Fair is not for a couple more months, but the kid is all geeked up about it. Every day he wakes up now and he's all like, "today we go to the Fair?" It's weird and funny how these little infatuations happen.

Flying cross country with a 1yo, 4yo, and stressed out wife for the first time tomorrow.

ugghh. sorry. made a 2 hour flight with the same 1 and 4 yo. that worked pretty well. stories and some videos with head phones kept the 4 yo in good shape. the 1 yo was tougher. a decent amount of walking the aisles got him to sleep during is nearly normal nap time. across the country is another animal entirely. good luck and godspeed.

Luckily both flights are after bed time, so there's some potential everyone may just sleep the whole way. Plus we're going out of Charlotte in order to get a direct flight. If I could get my hands on quaaludes, I would probably dose liberally.

We did a cross-country direct flight from CLT last week with a 6 month old, almost-3, and 5.5. 3 year old acted scared, but was quiet. It was nothing. Kids just read books, colored, or ate the whole time.

The 12 year olds behind me, on the other hand, were fucking atrocious though(as well as their dad who casually told them they were acting retarded but didn't curb them), so YMMV.

Back