• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Sox

"The Boston Red Sox and Los Angeles Dodgers are on the verge of a blockbuster trade.

The Dodgers have agreed in principle with the Red Sox on a trade for Adrian Gonzalez, Josh Beckett, Carl Crawford and Nick Punto, according to a major league source. Discussions between the clubs had reached the final stages Friday evening; Gordon Edes of ESPNBoston.com was the first to report that a deal was close.

The Red Sox are expected to include money in the deal, while also obtaining five players: top pitching prospect Allen Webster and first baseman James Loney, infielder Ivan DeJesus Jr., right-hander Rubby De La Rosa and outfielder Jerry Sands, all of whom had played for the Dodgers this season. Loney and Gonzalez were scratched from Friday's games.

Boston's primary motivation is salary relief. The Red Sox' playoff hopes have disappeared this month, making them more willing to trade veterans than they were at the July 31 non-waiver trade deadline.

After this season, Gonzalez is owed $109.3 million through 2017, Crawford $106.8 million through 2017, and Beckett $34 million through 2014 – for a total of more than $250 million. "
SOURCE: FoxSports.com

Good riddance. Send Valentine on his way and I might start watching games again.

Christmas in August. Do I sent my "thank you" card directly to Magic?

It's weird the words happy and red sox make sense in the same sentence. What is this feeling?

The deal is done and now the sox have plenty of money to spend on a stellar free-agent pool.......yay!!....SMH

The LA Dodgers have a bottom 10 farm system.

The deal is done and now the sox have plenty of money to spend on a stellar free-agent pool.......yay!!....SMH

The LA Dodgers have a bottom 10 farm system.

Well, it's not like the Saux have exactly a shining record with the big buck free agents they've been signing lately. Yaneverknow.

The sox never really gave the big signings a chance! The sox never had a stretch of 10 games with the whole roster on the field.

Great moves by the Sox. With the Dodgers picking up the vast majority of the payroll, the Sox now have the flexibility to start making moves. I think I read they've only got $39 million committed to next year's roster as of right now. I'm guessing they re-sign Ortiz and try to bring back Cody Ross on a sensible 2 or 3 year deal. They can afford to wait and see on Ellsbury now before he hits free agency after next season, or they can try to use him as a part of a trade to bring back major league talent in return (my guess is they are going to make some kind of run at acquiring Felix Hernandez). Plus, they've got some young guys that may be knocking on the door pretty soon in Jackie Bradley, Jr. and Xander Bogaerts at AA. Good times.

Great moves by the Sox. With the Dodgers picking up the vast majority of the payroll, the Sox now have the flexibility to start making moves. I think I read they've only got $39 million committed to next year's roster as of right now. I'm guessing they re-sign Ortiz and try to bring back Cody Ross on a sensible 2 or 3 year deal. They can afford to wait and see on Ellsbury now before he hits free agency after next season, or they can try to use him as a part of a trade to bring back major league talent in return (my guess is they are going to make some kind of run at acquiring Felix Hernandez). Plus, they've got some young guys that may be knocking on the door pretty soon in Jackie Bradley, Jr. and Xander Bogaerts at AA. Good times.

It always pissed me off when the Sox would admit defeat by trading a big name signing and eating a boatload of their contract. I am confident Adrian will decline in the last few years of his contract anyway... so although for the moment we're a much worse team without him this trade is good for the Sox in the long run. Better that trading Crawford and eating tons of his salary, trading Beckett and eating tons of his. I believe the Sox ownership when they say they'll reinvest in free agency.

Uff this is a bad team now you guys, also I wish they would just play the young guys, let's see what Kalish, Iglesias, Lavarnway can do:

RED SOX (61-67)
Podsednik LF
Pedroia 2B
Ellsbury CF
Ross RF
Loney 1B
Saltalamacchia C
Gomez DH
Aviles SS
Ciriaco 3B

Pitching: RHP Daisuke Matsuzaka (0-3, 6.65 ERA)

The new Sports Illustrated cover. I want to get it blown up FatHead size for my wall.

6a01310f9ede0b970c017d3bda09a4970c-320wi

Epic Collapse, Chicken and Beer, Done, Dysfunctional, Broken, Unprepared, Liverpool, Fiasco, Fail, Feud, Divided, Disaster, Flop, Circus, Lack of Leadership, Blown Lead, Split, Errors, Overpaid, Disarray, Blame, Sellout.... among others.

Two stories from last night's 2004 celebraish:

Here's Pedro's story:

"I'm going to tell this story because it's hilarious," Martinez said.

He started to explain that he was relaxing in the Jacuzzi before a game, and before he got in he made sure it was nice and clean with all new water.

"All of a sudden, Manny comes out of nowhere, takes off his pants, but leaves his socks on and his shirt. I'm not looking and all of a sudden, Manny jumps into the Jacuzzi. Millar sees Manny and all of a sudden, 'Oh, what do we have here? We having a party?' So he jumped in, and then Johnny Damon broke the party because Johnny Damon wanted to take all his clothes off.

"Manny came right out, took my underwear, my socks and everything, put them on, sprayed perfume on them, put his uniform on and went to play. That's probably a Manny story you haven't heard, but to see four guys, a couple of them half-naked in the same Jacuzzi, you can't make that up. That's the kind of group we had."

Here's Millar's story:

He recalled a game during a 2003 series with the Yankees in New York when then-Yankees pitcher Roger Clemens drilled him with a pitch. When Millar was in the dugout, Martinez sat next to him and asked which Yankee he should drill during his start two days later.

Two days later, Martinez drilled Alfonso Soriano and Derek Jeter to lead off the game.

At the time, of course, Martinez denied he was throwing at either of them. He admitted to doing it on Tuesday.

"Now we're old and fat and we can tell you the real truth, he was drilling both of them," Millar said.

"The quote was: 'You hit one of my guys, I'm taking down two of yours -- you tell Clemens that.' That's what that team was about. It wasn't about being tough guys, that's just the way it was," explained Millar.

I have no idea why I hated Kevin Millar, but I loved him when he was on the Orioles. And some people hate him if they tune in to his MLB Network show but I think he's fairly decent :noidea:

I loved that team. And I love Millar, even with his current show. You can tell his teammates love him, at least. He got Roy Halladay to do an interview where he was joking around and showing his funny side. I don't know if I've seen that in any other interview with Roy.

Last edited:
Millar is the man, one more good one from Pedro last night:

Martinez said he's never signed the inside of the Green Monster because he didn't feel as though he'd earned the right to do so "until (he) won it for Boston." He intends to stop inside the wall on this visit, and ink his signature in a certain spot.

"I'm gonna sign really high so Manny doesn't pee on it."

Back