• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Sox

This was an idea by a poster in one of the many Red Sox message boards that I frequently visit

Get Melky
Trade Aviles/Ciriaco for Chris Young
Trade Ellsbury for prospects
Trade Salty + Aceves to Mets for Davis.

Re-sign Ortiz and Ross
Sign Sanchez/Haren

Melky, Pedroia, Ortiz, Ross, Davis, WMB, Lavarnway, Young, Iglesias/Aviles/Ciriaco

Lester, Buchholz, Haren/Sanchez, Lackey, Doubront

Atchison/Mortenson/Carpenter/Wilson, Morales/Hill, Miller, Breslow, Tazawa, Bailey

The Yankees ought to do anything to get Ciriaco away from us. What did he bat like .450 against them?!

Sox send Aviles for Farrel. I don't like it, shouldn't be giving up talent to get a fucking manager.

He is a good bench option because of his versatility. I think he would have made the team.

Aviles is talent? He had the lowest on-base percentage of any American League everyday player last year.

I am not saying he is great. I am just not one who believes that a manager hiring should require shipping out a player.

I don't like Farrell all that much, but whatever. Maybe it'll spark the pitching staff. I would've rather had Ausmus based on what I've heard, though.

According to Gordon Edes of ESPN Boston, the Red Sox are finalizing the terms of a two-year deal with David Ortiz.
The two-year term has already been agreed upon, but the two sides are still negotiating the money involved. Ortiz is believed to be seeking $25 million total, but the Red Sox would like to sign him for a few million less. Either way, a deal is expected to get done and the Red Sox hope to announce the extension as soon as Friday. Ortiz is currently working his way back from ultrasound treatment on his right Achilles tendon, but it's hard to argue he doesn't deserve the two-year deal after batting .318/.415/.611 with 23 home runs, 60 RBI and a 1.026 OPS in 90 games this season.
Source: ESPNBoston.com Oct 23 - 2:01 PM

Names being linked to the Sox: Anibal Sanchez, Michael Bourn,Mike Napoli, Laroache, Victorino,Kuroda, R. Martin and trade rumors for Masterson and Choo.

Victorino 3/39 mil. Unfucking believable. Fuck this management group. Fuck you Cherington.

Sooooo..... moving my offseason thread here..... the Red Sox have had a pretty busy offseason already.

1. Fired Bobby V (move I agree with.... almost anyone could have done as well or better than he did)

2. Hired John Farrell (I'm indifferent on this one.... going back to the Tito coaching tree even though they claimed they needed "a new voice" and also Farrell wasn't great in Toronto. Honestly I don't think managers win championships, the players do, the Sox need to open their wallet)

3. Other coaching staff changes.... basically everyone moved. I'm overall happy with these, especially with snagging Torey Lovullo, a guy we seriously considered as a replacement manager for Tito, to come in and be the bench coach. Sad we lost our hitting coach Dave Madagan. Here is the full coaches list.

Greg Colbrunn Hitting Coach
Victor Rodriguez Assistant Hitting Coach
Juan Nieves Pitching Coach
Arnie Beyeler First Base Coach
Brian Butterfield Third Base Coach
Torey Lovullo Bench Coach
Gary Tuck Bullpen Coach

4. Resigned David Ortiz. 2 year $26M deal. Great move IMO, that's less than Ortiz is worth and he's the heart and soul of the team, fun to watch and cheer for, and he is the Boston Red Sox and represents their rise from lovable losers

5. Signed Jonny Gomes to a 2 year, $10M deal. Hate this move, waste of money. Gomes has never played on anything but a 1 year deal and we overpaid a bit for a guy who is probably only going to play against lefties.

6. Non tendered some players. Ryan Sweeney, Rich Hill, and Scott Atchison. Dislike these decisions. Rich Hill will be great for some team in the NL (and Peter Gammons agrees). Atchison was excellent for the Sox last before some injuries.... and Sweeney... well okay I guess I'm fine with him walking but we could have gotten him for less than the $5M we're paying Gomes.

7. Signed Mike Napoli to a 3 year, $39M deal. F***ing terrible. We just paid Big Papi money to a guy who put up Jarrod Saltalamacchia numbers last year. Really? Really Cherington? I can just picture us trading Napoli to contending team next season and paying the majority of his salary. He's gonna be a good drinking buddy for John Lackey who is reportedly "very excited" about Napoli joining the team. For comparison Salty last yr ($2.5M... this year TBD) had a .222BA 25HR 59RBI .288OBP .454SLG. Napoli (last year made $9.4M, this year it is $13M) .227BA 24HR 56RBI .343OBP .469SLG. So basically paying $10M for an OBP upgrade and a guy who can play first and spell you at catcher once in awhile? I hate this move mostly because I wanted someone great at first. Maybe not this year but definitely next year. 3 year deal gives us less flexibility, I would have been happier with a 2yr deal.

8. Red Sox sign Shane Victorino to a 3 year $39M deal. Yeah.. an in decline Shane Victorino definitely deserves to be the 4th highest paid outfielder in Red Sox history... NOT. Again, don't like this signing at all. But I didn't want Nick Swisher on our team either... don't want to overpay Jacoby "Mr Fragile" Ellsbury. Not sure how much Cody Ross deserves in the free market but I like him.... not for 4 years and $60M though.

Red Sox tickets went on sale last weekend... obviously I bought none. They'll be selling for half price on StubHub for everything but opening day and Yankees games all season long... unless John Hamilton signs and starts drinking again and making awesome centerfield scoreboard videos Kevin Millar Cowboy Up style.

Back