• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Sox

Ortiz was pissed after last nights game and basically accused the media and espn of making up a story so the yankees would drill him. I have to agree with him too.

"I just want to thank [the media]. Not all of you, but some of you, for the stat today about be not being hit," he said. "I finally got hit. I hope you [expletive] are happy."

"All along, I've said I respect David Ortiz and what he's done for the game. I was shocked what he did when he hit the home run. When you say things like that here, it's going to kind of take on a life of its own when you're playing Boston. He's somewhat of an emotional guy, and he got a big hit," Girardi said.

Give me a break girardi, he is such a pain in the ass.

Some interesting numbers:

1. Tim Wakefield is now only ten wins away from tying Roger Clemens and Cy Young for the most in Red Sox history (he currently has 182 wins for the Sox and 199 overall). He's the winningest active pitcher in baseball. Halladay is next with 177.

2. This is the first time the Sox have swept two series in a season against the Yankees in New York since 1913 (the Yankees still played at the Polo Grounds then).

3. They said on the NESN broadcast last night during the Sabathia meltdown in the 7th that opponents are hitting .394 against him this year after he throws 100 pitches--sort of like Pedro back in the day. With the state of the Yankee bullpen and Sabathia being their only reliable starter (Colon will turn back into pumpkin as soon as he runs out of whatever horse steroid he's using to throw 98 again), things could get interesting in New York.

3. They said on the NESN broadcast last night during the Sabathia meltdown in the 7th that opponents are hitting .394 against him this year after he throws 100 pitches--sort of like Pedro back in the day. With the state of the Yankee bullpen and Sabathia being their only reliable starter (Colon will turn back into pumpkin as soon as he runs out of whatever horse steroid he's using to throw 98 again), things could get interesting in New York.

This right here folks is why I'm cheering for the SAWX when they play this year. Even after the terrible start they looked like a 95+ win team. I'm not sure the Rays can win 90, but I think they have a better shot of beating NY out this year than Boston.

The Rays are far more frightening than the Yankees are right now. The Yanks just look old. It used to be that when you'd go through their lineup there would be multiple guys that you dreaded having to face. Right now, the only one that makes me feel that way is Cano (and he's not even hitting well--he's usually been better in the second half).

The Rays have way more pitching than the Yankees. As long as the young guys don't get worn out over the season, they are a major threat to make the playoffs.

It'll be interesting to see how they play tonight, having not completed last night's game until around 1:45. They then had to fly to Toronto and go through customs before checking into the team hotel--could be a real zombie-like effort tonight (which would be a shame, since they're facing the underwhelming Jo Jo Reyes).

The Sox didn't get to their hotel until about 6:00 or 6:30 a.m before beating the Jays last night. That sleep situation may kick in even more for the day game today.

On another Sox-related note, the grandson of Yaz had 4 RBIs for Vandy yesterday. Vandy is one win away from the College World Series. Young Yaz was drafted by the Sox a couple of years ago, but opted for college. The boy's father (and Carl's son), who played at FSU, died at age 43.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/baseball/cws/recap?gameId=310610220&league=CWS

http://www.baseball-reference.com/bullpen/Mike_Yastrzemski

13 runs through 6 innings today. Two three-run bombs in the 5th (one from
Varitek, and a laser beam from Ortiz). Even John Lackey can win when you give him 13 runs...

New Kids on the Block and Backstreet Boys are performing in Fenway Park tonight. The stalkers in Kenmore Sq. yesterday were hilarious. 40 year old women shrieking like 12 year olds.

New Kids on the Block and Backstreet Boys are performing in Fenway Park tonight. The stalkers in Kenmore Sq. yesterday were hilarious. 40 year old women shrieking like 12 year olds.

I love how when they started having concerts at Fenway it was this big deal and only the biggest acts played there. It started off with Springsteen and the Rolling Stones . . . and now its the New Kids on the Block.

I love how when they started having concerts at Fenway it was this big deal and only the biggest acts played there. It started off with Springsteen and the Rolling Stones . . . and now its the New Kids on the Block.

Yeah but Jimmy Buffett played the year between those two acts. At least New Kids are from Boston.

I love watching the masses of fans that come for the shows though. Buffett fans and Phish fans have definitely been the worst.

Yeah the new kids are pretty huge in boston, I know my cousin was at the show.

Also BIG PAPI is AWESOME right now. maybe they should have extended him last year.

Imagine if he were healthy; excerpt:

...Dustin Pedroia's fifth-inning blast off of Kyle Drabek of the Toronto Blue Jays on Sunday did something his previous 58 career home runs had never done: it traveled over 400 feet. The official Home Run Tracker distance for Pedroia's home run is 415 feet, with a speed off the bat of 106.5 m.p.h.

Pedroia's previous longest home run distance was 396 feet, which he reached twice in his major league career. The first occurrence was on June 24, 2009 off of
Jason Hammel at Coors Field. The other came on May 25, 2011 off of Mitch Talbot at Progressive Field in Cleveland.

The 106.5 m.p.h. speed off bat registered on Pedroia's home run Sunday was the fastest such ball he's ever hit.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/red-sox/

When this 9 game trip to NYY, TOR, and TB started, I would have been pretty dang pleased with going 6-3 and totally satisfied with 5-4. Now they are going to Tampa having already won 6. They've really started to mash,

welp, now that HIS HEAT are out, I guess y'all will be seeing a lot of Bish. He LOVES his LiverSAWX, now!

the sox had their chances early against james shields but didnt put anything on the board and then he settled in pretty well for the cg so.

Back