• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Walking Dead Season THREE Thread!!!

didnt they have to cover themselves in zombie guts last season so they couldnt be smelt, why didnt they have to do that this time?

also, can there be no discussion of the graphic novels in this thread unless we have already passed the point on tv?

I watched the marathon of season 1 over the weekend and caught season 2 opener yesterday.

The damn show is depressing the shit out of me. Not because of the story lines, etc. But because the downtown Atlanta parts are all filmed around where I work. My building is in many scenes and all the streets and stores are all around where we walk to lunch etc.

The depressing part is that they really didn't have to use much scenery to make the place look run-down and desolate.

There are some major plot weaknesses and the dialogue is sometimes bad enough to make me want to watch Oprah instead. But, it's watchable just on premise alone. It's not Breaking Bad but it's still a campy kind of watch.

didnt they have to cover themselves in zombie guts last season so they couldnt be smelt, why didnt they have to do that this time?

also, can there be no discussion of the graphic novels in this thread unless we have already passed the point on tv?

The only time they had to do that was when they needed to walk a long distance through the zombies.

They couldn't walk fast or they would stand out, so they needed something to avoid being noticed, and the smell of dead flesh/guts helped.

The creator made note to say they can sort of differentiate between dead/living, but they aren't bloodhounds, they can't follow their nose to living flesh.

I thought the first episode was solid, but probably could have been an hour instead of 90 minutes. The love triangle thing bores me. Also I think it's weird that in the event of the world basically ending, Shane and the wife decided to sneak off to the woods to bang.

Darryl is a bad ass...I hope we see his one-handed brother again.

The Darryl comment reminded me of a definite theme you see in him. He's primitive. From the crossbow, hunting, acting on base instinct, performing otherwise nasty tasks- even his giving the handgun to Lori (Rick's wife). He eschews things which aren't truly primitive. Hell, he even rides a bike rather than a car. And in a none-too-subtle nod to Maslow's self-actualization theories, he's got a Nazi "SS" on the tank of his bike.

Darryl is the side of us that we don't like to admit but it's essential to our survival.

The opening monologue and the church scene were just brutal to watch. If this show had even mediocre acting and character development, it would be awesome. I'm gonna give it a few more episodes, but if it doesn't improve I'm done.

Did anyone at the end think the boy was going to walk up and pet the deer? My brother kept repeating "if he pets the deer, I'm done."

Not much for hot chicks on the show they need to add some more "talent".

And no one ever answered my question

I could of swore Shane got bit during episode 5? or 6? last season when the zombies attacked the camp killing the sister did or did he not? I guess I could check on netflix.

Pickle is right, it was Jim that got bit. Remember they left up propped up against a tree to either die/turn.

You guys are picky about TV.

Andrea got a boob job over the break, too bad they can't feed the Doc from Prison Break some sammiches, she's looking a little too thin for my tastes.

Apparently the graphic novels get darker and darker, I'm hoping the tv show follows suit.

The graphic novels obtain a new level of dark, and it seemed like the show is moving that way. They love to do what you see in the end of that episode where they make it out as if hope is on the horizon and then they crush it like a bug. It can be a good read, but depressing...

I'm most definitely not a comic-book guy but aren't the books still being written/drawn/created? As I understand it, TWD "graphic novel" series is still evolving, correct?

The biggest problem with the show is that it has to be a character-driven show, because there is basically no plot. They are just running from place to place trying to find a safe haven or cure. I understand that the graphic novel has been going on for some time and there is no end in sight, so it's not as if this is building any time soon into a "the gang finds a cure and the world is saved!"

Thus, for the show to work it has to develop the characters, make them interesting, flesh out their back stories, give them some interesting relationships, etc. To date, this has been a total failure. For example, I couldn't tell you the names of any characters other than Rick and Shane. Then there is Rick's wife and kid. The old guy with the RV. Short-round, the Asian. Sawyer with a crossbow. The hysterical blond who had one of the most cringeworthy scenes of all time with her sister last season. And the black guy. Oh, and the lady with the short hair.

Rick is the protagonist, but he's very flat. Sawyer w/ Crossbow is likeable, but a very cliched character archetype. The old guy is meh. Shane is annoying. Rick's wife is annoying. The hysterical blond is super annoying. The others are just kind of in the background.

That's not a real promising group of people around which to build a character-driven show. It doesn't help that the dialogue has been bad and the acting is weak.

The show has tense moments and there's obviously something there to keep me watching it so far, but the show's writers are going to have to figure something out fast or else this show is going to get very dull very soon.

I've done a complete 180 on Darryl - really enjoy his character.

Is it me or are the female characters on this show just absolutely awful?

- The blonde spends all her time whining about her sister - just off yourself. I had to FF through her terrible little speech about her gun with Dale.
- The buzzcut is worthless - instead of getting your panties in a wad about Rick not finding your daughter, why not go sprinting after her in the first place or do ANYTHING other than just staring at the woods?
- The wife spends every minute sneering at Shane after Rick comes back, then all of a sudden she gets pissy when he doesn't want to play fake-daddy to her son?

One of the great things about Breaking Bad and especially Mad Men is that there are compelling female characters to provide a balance. This show has none of that, especially after Jackie blew herself up last season.

Does the show take dialogue from the novels?...or is it improvised by the writers to expand from the panels of the graphic novels?

Hopefully whenever the show ends, if the novels haven't ended yet, the creator of the series gets a chance to give it an ending...though he probably wouldn't want to out any of his plans for the comic series in the TV show.

Supposedly there are some pretty awesome characters in the comic series that they can't really throw into the show yet because it needs to be natural with the development of the show and make it seem like there has been time since the extinction event.

Hopefully the doc told Rick "Zombies can't swim" and they head for the Outer Banks or Charleston or something...haha

Is the son aware of the mom/Shane bumping uglies?

Seems like that would have come out by now.

Pretty sure that Rick's wife is preggers and Shane is the Daddy. Didn't he take all of their blood when they got to CDC to make sure they weren't infected?

Watched the first three episodes of Season 1 tonight. I will probably be caught up by the next episode of Season 2 airs. I like it, but I like zombie stuff a lot. The make-up is really good. The CG is pretty bad, and will age horribly.

i think what he meant by talking about what the scientist said was just that there is no cure. right?

My guess is that everyone on the planet is infected already and it's not a bite that triggers zombification, just death with an undamaged brain stem. That's why the scientist didn't say the results of the blood tests of everyone was healthy, he just said there were no surprises.

My guess is that everyone on the planet is infected already and it's not a bite that triggers zombification, just death with an undamaged brain stem. That's why the scientist didn't say the results of the blood tests of everyone was healthy, he just said there were no surprises.

Interesting

I completely went with DeacCav's idea that the wife is pregnant. Not sure why he'd be testing for pregnancy but for the story line, that seemed likely.

Am I the only one who keeps seeing Viggo Mortensen everytime I look at the actor playing Rick?

I completely went with DeacCav's idea that the wife is pregnant. Not sure why he'd be testing for pregnancy but for the story line, that seemed likely.

Am I the only one who keeps seeing Viggo Mortensen everytime I look at the actor playing Rick?
Now that you mention it, yeah I see it too.

As far as everyone already being infected, it's interesting but not sure it makes sense. Jim was bitten, his health deteriorated, and they left him on the side of the road. If getting bit doesn't kill you, then he is probably still sitting there wondering "when the fuck am I going to die?"

And I'm inclined to believe the wife is pregnant, but don't you have to specifically test for that? Why would he waste time and energy testing for it, especially since he seemed convinced they were all going to die there.

Back