• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

There's a hunger problem on america's campuses

Geez. What's your problem with the term "food insecurity?"

Geez. What's your problem with the English language?

Where to begin. Awful grammar? Another insipid phrase that academia will incorporate(or maybe already has incorporated) into its standard jargon? I spent four years in college and three more in grad school scraping together enough money to eat. I always thought that just meant I was hungry and not rolling in dough-like just about everybody else I knew.

By the way, the quote is: "A majority of students who are food insecure..."

Last edited:
Food insecurity has been part language in the nonprofit sector for years.

Food-insecure is an adjective and food insecurity is a mass noun. Both very much grammatically correct, indexed in OED.

If you hyphenate "food-secure", then it is correct. But still horrible wonk-speak.

Nouns modify things all the time. Soup spoon. Mountain bike.

Nouns modify things all the time. Soup spoon. Mountain bike.

They don't modify adjectives, which is what I said. And I think in your examples those nouns are actually adjectives. But maybe I am wrong--I was a history major. You seem to know much more than I about this--at least you think you do.

Back