• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

There's a hunger problem on america's campuses

Smartphone is pretty damn important especially for students balancing family, work, and school.

In all honesty is it? I managed to get through college without a cell phone. You certainly need a computer, but do you really need a smart phone? Couldn't you just get a prepaid phone and meet your needs? I think that is our problem. We confuse wants with needs. Just because something makes life easier doesn't mean you HAVE to own it.

In all honesty is it? I managed to get through college without a cell phone. You certainly need a computer, but do you really need a smart phone? Couldn't you just get a prepaid phone and meet your needs? I think that is our problem. We confuse wants with needs. Just because something makes life easier doesn't mean you HAVE to own it.

no one needs a smartphone

ITT 90s college student tells 90s college student and 00s and 10s professor what students need in 2016.

Wrangor, technology and expectations for communication are different than they were 15-20 years ago. Much different. Students can take exams on their smartphones nowadays. If I send a student an email, I expect them to get it as soon as possible, not when they get back to campus to a computer the next day. Smartphones allow poorer students to get by without buying wifi at home. Smartphones allow them to manage their work schedules on the fly. Smartphones allow students in an emergency to instantly communicate with their professor.

It's not 1999. A smartphone is necessary.

i thought having a smartphone and a tv was the sign that poverty was over in america

ITT 90s college student tells 90s college student and 00s and 10s professor what students need in 2016.

Wrangor, technology and expectations for communication are different than they were 15-20 years ago. Much different. Students can take exams on their smartphones nowadays. If I send a student an email, I expect them to get it as soon as possible, not when they get back to campus to a computer the next day. Smartphones allow poorer students to get by without buying wifi at home. Smartphones allow them to manage their work schedules on the fly. Smartphones allow students in an emergency to instantly communicate with their professor.

It's not 1999. A smartphone is necessary.

None of that is as necessary as eating. But the article wouldn't find a sympathetic commielib audience if it said these students were eating great but all need help with their smartphone bills to keep up with school.

Eating is more important than a lot of things we have monthly bills for.

Every basketball ticket had a $3 off any Hanes mall eatery coupon on the back. I figured out they did not put 'limit 1 coupon per customer per visit' so basically every used basketball ticket was a $3 bill at any mall eatery. After every game I would go around with a Manila envelope and collect used tickets. Would usually gather around 200-300 a game.

Restaurants loved it because it was cash to them. I tipped with the money. Bought gift cards with the money. I literally ate at the mall 5-6 times a week. Stocked my dorm room with Olive Garden wine, and still had about $1000 worth of gift cards when I graduated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remember when 300 people came to Wake games?

Eating is more important than smartphones. Sure. But that doesn't mean it's smart to not have a smart phone.

i thought having a smartphone and a tv was the sign that poverty was over in america

It was until the GOP really needed Wisconsin and Michigan to carry the EC, then the plight of tweeters all across the Midwest became paramount economic concerns, and a huge "lesson" for liberals to learn.

College was awesome. I banged so many chicks and took so many drugs all without the benefit of a smartphone. It made me a better person all the way around. Better than all of you.

College App State was awesome. I banged so many chicks and took so many drugs all without the benefit of a smartphone. It made me a better person all the way around. Better than all of you.

FIFY.

Lol

Imagine having to meet, chat up, feign disinterest, then close the deal all by your wits and game. We didn't need no swipeys or faceybooks at happy appy. It was a gamble what was under those thick sweaters and baggy jeans. No yoga pants for us no sir. You had to know your shit, it wasn't handed to you.

Man up, softies

Lol

Imagine having to meet, chat up, feign disinterest, then close the deal all by your wits and game. We didn't need no swipeys or faceybooks at happy appy. It was a gamble what was under those thick sweaters and baggy jeans. No yoga pants for us no sir. You had to know your shit, it wasn't handed to you.

Man up, softies

At this very moment, there could be Millennials on your actual lawn chasing Pokémon. Someone should instruct them to disperse.

I'm an old, but I think this is bullshit. Why would a professor ever need this kind of instant connectivity with his students? I'm sure its more convenient for some things (like announcing a class cancellation), but necessary? Do schools not have computer labs anymore?

I have students who live and work 90+ minutes away from the campus computer labs.

Eating is more important than smartphones. Sure. But that doesn't mean it's smart to not have a smart phone.

If you can't afford to eat, then that is exactly what that means.

Would you stop paying your mortgage so you could afford a loaf of bread?

Food pantries exist so a kid who has $30 in the bank doesn't have to sacrifice paying for gas to get to campus in order to afford a meal.

Last edited:
Back