• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

There's a hunger problem on america's campuses

Geez. What's your problem with the English language?

Where to begin. Awful grammar? Another insipid phrase that academia will incorporate(or maybe already has incorporated) into its standard jargon? I spent four years in college and three more in grad school scraping together enough money to eat. I always thought that just meant I was hungry and not rolling in dough-like just about everybody else I knew.

By the way, the quote is: "A majority of students who are food insecure..."

Sounds like you are qualified to run the SNAP program in the Trump administration.

They don't modify adjectives, which is what I said. And I think in your examples those nouns are actually adjectives. But maybe I am wrong--I was a history major. You seem to know much more than I about this--at least you think you do.

Man look, I hear you... it's funny to me too, I mean it's strange... it's strange to me too, but we're talking about grammar man, we're not even talking about the hunger... the actual meals, when it matters... We're talking about grammar …

They don't modify adjectives, which is what I said. And I think in your examples those nouns are actually adjectives. But maybe I am wrong--I was a history major. You seem to know much more than I about this--at least you think you do.

#triggered

Two words:

Ramen Noodles

Problem solved. 6 packs for a $1 right now. Used to be $12 when I was in college I think. 2 packs is a delicious meal.

Get a gallon of milk and buy cereal for breakfast.

Bread, peanut butter, and jelly for lunch. You can eat for around $1.50 a day. It's what I did for most of college (until Hanes mall ran an ill advised ticket promotion that ended up with me eating at Olive Garden for free every day for my senior year).

Articles like this are so annoying. They pretty much pay you to go to college nowadays. Pell grant plus student loans plus 1 or 2 per time jobs and you can live very comfortably while going to college. You will have some debt when you leave (I'm 2 years away on paying mine)but not being able to eat in college is pretty rare. It's called priorities...Some people need to rearrange them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
What priorities do they need to rearrange?

"They pretty much pay you to go to college these days"

What priorities do they need to rearrange?

Their purchases. Their free time. Which by coincidence were the same priorities that I had to rearrange when I got to college, was making C's and was broke. This is millennial BS.

Last edited:
"They pretty much pay you to go to college these days"

There are over 100 schools that cost less than 11,000 a year right now. Pell grant is almost 6k. THat is before scholarships and financial aid. That is before student loans. There are plenty of avenues to obtain an almost free college education.

Now I've legitimately seen it all. Someone complaining that college is too affordable.

It's a manufactured crisis. College is only unaffordable if you choose to go to a school you can't afford. There are plenty of affordable options. There is plenty of govt help.

The reason perceived cost has skyrocketed is precisely because there is so much easy money to be had to go to college.

Which one is the best Wrangor #hottake?

a) College kids prioritize their purchases and free time over eating.
b) People believe college is too expensive because there's so much easy money for college.
c) Student loans are part of a "free education."
d) Students who are potentially food insecure are eligible for pell grants and enough scholarships to cover college costs.
e) All of the above

Two words:

Ramen Noodles

Problem solved. 6 packs for a $1 right now. Used to be $12 when I was in college I think. 2 packs is a delicious meal.

Get a gallon of milk and buy cereal for breakfast.

Bread, peanut butter, and jelly for lunch. You can eat for around $1.50 a day. It's what I did for most of college (until Hanes mall ran an ill advised ticket promotion that ended up with me eating at Olive Garden for free every day for my senior year).

Articles like this are so annoying. They pretty much pay you to go to college nowadays. Pell grant plus student loans plus 1 or 2 per time jobs and you can live very comfortably while going to college. You will have some debt when you leave (I'm 2 years away on paying mine)but not being able to eat in college is pretty rare. It's called priorities...Some people need to rearrange them.

:rulz:

+1
And did they put any limits on what you could get?

Every basketball ticket had a $3 off any Hanes mall eatery coupon on the back. I figured out they did not put 'limit 1 coupon per customer per visit' so basically every used basketball ticket was a $3 bill at any mall eatery. After every game I would go around with a Manila envelope and collect used tickets. Would usually gather around 200-300 a game.

Restaurants loved it because it was cash to them. I tipped with the money. Bought gift cards with the money. I literally ate at the mall 5-6 times a week. Stocked my dorm room with Olive Garden wine, and still had about $1000 worth of gift cards when I graduated.

My point is there is no excuse not to eat. If you are starving because you are investing in your education, then there are funds available to make sure you don't starve.

Obviously there are exceptions to this rule and there is a percentage of the college population that honestly struggles with this. My position is that this is a small minority of the college population.

We are so eager to bail people out that we forget that it is the hard times that forge greatness. Necessity is the mother of invention. When you are 18-22 you can withstand a lot of trials, and you need to withstand a lot of trials. People complain about millennials not being able to stand up to adversity and it is precisely because we aim to design a world that is void of adversity that they cannot stand up to it when it comes.

With the pell grant, financial aid, and scholarship there are plenty of schools in this country where you can attend for almost free. In some of them you will actually come out ahead. If you are struggling to eat like you want, then get a part time job to supplement your income, or get 3 like I did in college. I worked as a resident technology advisor in the dorm, served as a caterer for Aramark 2-3 times a week (usually Saturday mornings when no one else would do it) and worked in the intramural office. Part time jobs are available for students on campuses. You just have to be willing to do them if you need the money.

It taught me time management, dedication, and a variety of work skills that still serve me today. It was an important part of my college education and I would have been robbed of that If someone had felt sorry for me and handed me a check. I had he ability and I am glad no one got in the way of my personal development.

Last edited:
Back