• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

There's a hunger problem on america's campuses

Would you stop paying your mortgage so you could afford a loaf of bread?

Food pantries exist so a kid who has $30 in the bank doesn't have to sacrifice paying for gas to get to campus in order to afford a meal.

Not having a smartphone now is the equivalent of being homeless? What did I miss here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have students who live and work 90+ minutes away from the campus computer labs.

How do they afford tuition and a $100.00 per day commute, if they can't pay for basic Internet service at their home?

Man look, I hear you... it's funny to me too, I mean it's strange... it's strange to me too, but we're talking about grammar man, we're not even talking about the hunger... the actual meals, when it matters... We're talking about grammar …

this didn't get nearly enough applause.

Not having a smartphone now is the equivalent of being homeless? What did I miss here?

You wouldn't quit paying a monthly bill to better afford a few meals.

This doesn't make sense. I'm not arguing these students shouldn't have cars.

You were saying campuses have computer labs. I pointed out that students needed computing power and Internet access far away from campus.

Yes I would. That is exactly what you do. If you can't afford to eat then you evaluate your monthly budget and cut monthly items that are not necessary. Having a roof over your head is necessary. Using snap chat is not.

I sorta side with Wrangor on this one to an extent. A college degree is one of the only proven ladders out of poverty, but if you really can't afford food, you've gotta cut something. It'd be nice if our standard of living in America was 100% smartphone coverage, but it isn't.

I don't agree with Wrangor's #hottake that college is not very expensive.

These pantries aren't about "can't afford to eat." It's about helping students get by when random expenses come up that cut into their meager funds. It's easier to solicit food donations than free auto repair.

PH you don't need a smart phone to be successful in college now. Sure it's helpful, but far from necessary. Also F that shit about instant communication. I did my best to get back to a professor ASAP in grad school, within a 24 hour window. I also did my best to avoid any sort of classes group texts or whatever.

Back