• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

This maybe Haas moment, Grobe is banging on Wake, what thread is this in?

Who here attended Wake Forest University without ever being on the campus. I am one. Did not know our basketball arena was terrible. Did not know we did not have a student union. Did not know you could not have a girl in your room. On and on. Kids play for coaches. Not indoor practice facilities. If I was recruiting And indoor practice facilities came up, I would tell the recruit, indoor practice facilities are for pussies. And make him believe it.

"Son, the weather here is too good to be practicing indoors."

"I'm not rooting for Clawson to fail. I'm merely stating reality. My position comes from the historical perspective of having observed WF football..."

If folks would realize that being a "good" fan and maintaining realistic expectations weren't mutually exclusive things, perhaps we could avoid some of the ridiculous pissing contests that seem to take over threads from time to time. We're all Wake fans and ultimately all want the same thing. However, at given points in time, what one feels the means by which those ends are achieved can certainly vary quite a bit.

BTW bob, it doesn't require 55 years of observation to know what we're up against. OTOH though, there are plenty of reasons (as listed above) as to why success in WF football doesn't need to come in the form of a 7-5 or 6-6 record. :)

Grobe didn't win games he could have won with the recruits he did get, and that was due to poor coaching. If he had done that, he'd be our coach today. He chose salaries for himself and his staff instead of facility upgrades. How much did these other schools that did upgrades pay their coaching staffs at the time? Grobo made his bed. I don't think it is LOWF to say we are not a bottomless checking account.

Not sure these qualify as 4 star or above but James Wilson, Logan Thomas, Jay Howard, Jonathan Cooper, Greg Scruggs, Brennan Williams, Terrance Robinson, Devin Taylor. That is off the top of my head from the OB year or the following. I was looking at the 2012 and 2013 drafts about a month ago and couldn't believe how many of those guys we were in on late panned out. AJ Marshall was a 4 star. There was some Maryland DB and Bolles OL that ended up at UGA somewhere in there too.

Jordan Love. Transferred to Towson.

Exactly! Or, we don't play the games indoors son. Sans Syracuse.

Seriously, we practice in the conditions we play in. It's a bedrock principle that our nation's military thrives on. Seems like a good recruiter could easily negate that advantage.

This kind of reminds me of Odom's comment that it is easier to recruit and win, when you have the name of your state in your university (or something like that). Then he went to South Carolina, had the name of the state, and really didn't do much, while Prosser came in and immediately started pulling in recruits like J Gray, Big E, etc over a bunch of schools that had a state name in them.

Grobe didn't win games he could have won with the recruits he did get, and that was due to poor coaching. If he had done that, he'd be our coach today. He chose salaries for himself and his staff instead of facility upgrades. How much did these other schools that did upgrades pay their coaching staffs at the time? Grobo made his bed. I don't think it is LOWF to say we are not a bottomless checking account.

Of course it's not bottomless, but are we really making the argument that Grobe was supposed to take less than market value for himself and his staff in order to fund facilities? Who, in what profession, does this? In my experience it's incredibly rare.

At the time, I think the decision Ron faced was to let him go to Arkansas or else offer him a new contract. We don't know if there were any explicit or implicit commitments made regarding facilities and other resources.

I don't think we have enough info to justify firing away at Grobe based purely on these published comments. Lets enjoy the new hire and momentum without the negativity.

Nice. I'm glad someone else finally brought up the 85 limit.

LOWFers don't want to believe that the playing field is as level as it's ever been, but it's the truth.

85 scholarships may be the limit, but it is a lot easier to get a second tier player to walk on if you are only asking him to pay for in-state tuition etc at a state school than if you are asking him to pay Wake's cost.

Also, remember that Wake doesn't take JuCos who were non-qualifiers out of HS, so that pool of "quick fix" players is off limits for Wake.

As has been said elsewhere, Wake could fit all its living alumni in its FB stadium. Most big schools could only fit a decade's worth of alums in a much bigger stadium. That number difference translates into big differences in support - ticket sales, stadium concessions etc., and alumni giving - total dollars. Wake has a high percentage of contributors, but that still doesn't match in total numbers of givers, or total $$$$ what many of the big schools get.

Out of curiosity are their schools other than KSU and Auburn that are really taking lots of Jucos?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Most of the SEC Defensive Lines have JUCO's mixed in and you see a few in each class from most of the ACC in some years especially FSU on the OL. Huge advantage.

Our $ problem isnt so much the size of our fanbase as it is the relatively lack of super-wealthy people we have in our fanbase. For such a great school, we really don't have many of the uber-wealthy people capable of cutting 8 figure checks for our sports programs.

Remember one thing, Grobe never used all 85 scholarships. He said he always held 2-4 back. What the hell for? Never understood this comment of his. He mentioned it every signing day.

Every time I see this thread title my first reaction is "Whoah, did JG get caught having sex with an inanimate object located on Wake's campus?"

Back