• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

This thread is about context

"The decision was based on the overall performance the past three years," Wellman said. "I looked at our February and March records and how the performances declined rather dramatically. We were 16-17 in February in those three years and in March 4-7, and 1-6 in postseason play, including the ACC tournament. In six of those losses, we were the higher-seeded team or better seeded in five of those losses. Yet the games weren't even close."

[...]

Wellman said the late-season drop-off extended to the stat sheet. "There was a significant decline in every statistical category from February on ... and even more significant in the postseason," he said.

Context.

Oh, I didn't mean to say that being a stat nerd would prohibit anyone from being a head coach at all. I don't believe that to be the case, in fact.

When your only ACC starting level players are an undersized SG and a modestly sized SF, you are going to get blown out by damn near every Top 50 you play.

I'd love to say this isn't so, but that's the reality.

This has nothnig to do with [Redacted]. When you are undertalented and undersized, this is what happens.

Why isn't BC getting blown out night in/night out then?

NBA is irrelevant. The nuggets got Carmelo Anthony.

The only success Bz has in college is at a program where he had an experienced team that basically ran his offense and that was 0-14 in league play two years after he left.

So you have to ignore the results when he did well because he had talented/experienced players to coach, but you can't factor in the lack of scoring ability/depth now that he is struggling?

So you have to ignore the results when he did well because he had talented/experienced players to coach, but you can't factor in the lack of scoring ability/depth now that he is struggling?

He's not struggling. He is at the bottom of the barrel.

Why isn't BC getting blown out night in/night out then?

To be fair, they have 6 blow-out ACC losses to our 8, they just happen to be on an uptick right now, where we are definitely trending down right now. But hey, you don't want to peak too early, amirite?

I think the question of "context" should be about what is the ceiling for Wake Forest basketball. Does anyone honestly think that Bz can go to a final four or win an ACC tournament? My problem with Skip/Dino was that it appeared that we had hit our ceiling with that style of play. My problem with Donahue at BC is that the ceiling there will probably be top third of ACC maybe a tournament win or two. My expectations are that we should be a team that competes for ACC championships and is capable of going to final four. I see nothing in Bz resume or 2 years on the job to give a glimmer of hope regarding those expectations.

slothrop, you are I have one basic are of disagreement- the ability the coach we want to replace [Redacted] rather than versus just another coach.

I think our position is much stronger after next season.

So he can't coach up bad players, and he's not a great recruiter.....I've got it! If a good coach leaves a team full of good players, Bzz can step in and take them to the NIT championship!

Yes, it gives me concern that the only college success he has had was with a ready made veteran team of military cadets that were already running basically his offense the day he started coaching.

slothrop, you are I have one basic are of disagreement- the ability the coach we want to replace [Redacted] rather than versus just another coach.

I think our position is much stronger after next season.

Who is your ideal, realistic replacement to [Redacted] and what stops said person from taking the job at the end of this year rather than waiting til the end of next year aside from just leaving a bad coach in for one more year to save face to basketball at large? What about that arbitrary third year really makes the job that much more attractive then rather than now?

Yes, it gives me concern that the only college success he has had was with a ready made veteran team of military cadets that were already running basically his offense the day he started coaching.

I think that is a fair comment, but then it is hard not to give him a lot of slack these past two years given the lack of talent, depth and experience. I agree with RJ, if we don't get significantly better next year (middle of the pack) it may be time to move on (but I am one of the few who think he will actually get it turned around).

The guy is almost 60. The time is past where he should be proving that he can coach college basketball and it shouldn't be at Wake Forest where he is doing it.

Here's to hoping CMM is our Andre Miller and Devin Thomas is Melo so Buzz can prove his one coaching success in Denver 10 years ago was not a fluke

I think that is a fair comment, but then it is hard not to give him a lot of slack these past two years given the lack of talent, depth and experience. I agree with RJ, if we don't get significantly better next year (middle of the pack) it may be time to move on (but I am one of the few who think he will actually get it turned around).

Why? I know you want him to (we all do). Why do you think he will? What about his coaching resume convinces you that [Redacted] is a championship coach?

This season we have two legitimate ACC starters and four players who would get some minutes on other ACC teams. Of coruse we're going to get blown out by good teams.

There is a gross talent disconnect.

I must have missed something. What good teams have blown us out?

I must have missed something. What good teams have blown us out?

take your pick of:
UNC, Duke, NC State, Miami, Clemson, Virginia, Florida State, Seton Hall, Arizona State

So you believe NC State, Miami, Clemson, UVA, Seton Hall, and ASU are all good teams?

No. :tear: I just think RJ is full of it. UVA is good, Miami, NC State, and Seton Hall are decent bubble teams.

Back