• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

This thread is about context

Why put yourself in a postion where you know the AD has a hair trigger and you have less than no job security?"

This argument is so silly. Not only can the situation (i.e. why Bzz needs to go and why Dino landed the job but had overstayed his welcome) easily be explained and understood by most anyone with a pulse, but a good coach can look at Wake's situation and see something he can't help but improve and look like a hero at if he's 1/2 competent at his job. Further, it's actually a good bargaining chip for a potential hire who can use it to get a better buyout guarantee.

He had nothing else and they did improve.....CU is one of the worst BCS conference jobs in basketball.

the guy before Bz had more success there than he did. The guy after Bz is having a great deal of success there. He is a game out of 1st in the Pac 10 and has a recruiting class ranked ahead of ours.

Saying that Colorado is one of the worst BCS jobs is laughable, but pretty much par for the course from you.

the guy before Bz had more success there than he did. The guy after Bz is having a great deal of success there. He is a game out of 1st in the Pac 10 and has a recruiting class ranked ahead of ours.

Context.

It never ceases to amaze me that some supposed Wake fans would just completely ignore what they see day in and day out to continue to support this guy to the detriment of the school/team.

He had nothing else and they did improve.....CU is one of the worst BCS conference jobs in basketball.

So in 2 full recruiting classes and another half class, which included Higgins, he was able to recruit a couple of stars, but not put enough talent around them to achieve anything meaningful? Sounds like a poor man's version of a certain coach you love to rip on.

You are truly out of your damn mind. CU was by no means a power house, but come on...

Ricardo Patton coached CU for the 11 seasons prior to [Redacted].

Patton went 184-160 (.535 winning percentage) with 2 NCAA Tournament appearances and 3 NIT appearances.

[Redacted] went 36-58 (.382 winning percentage) with 0 NCAA Tournament appearances and 0 NIT appearances.

Brownell has won 1 NCAA game. And that was with a team that was given to him with tons of talent and he beat a bad UAB team.

No ranked wins this year and not headed to the dance. Don't understand what he's proven exactly.

Saying that Colorado is one of the worst BCS jobs is laughable, but pretty much par for the course from you.

Are you serious, son?

The previous coach at Colorado before [Redacted]...went 7 AND FUCKING 20 in his final year...and only made the NCAA Tournament twice in 12 years (and one of those years was his first year)

and I would say Colorado's current recruiting class is just as good as ours. I wouldn't say its better, but you would...only because you love to attack guys recruited by [Redacted].

Also..Boyle is his 2nd year at Colorado..you do realize how College Athletics work right.

Fucking idiots.

So in 2 full recruiting classes and another half class, which included Higgins, he was able to recruit a couple of stars, but not put enough talent around them to achieve anything meaningful? Sounds like a poor man's version of a certain coach you love to rip on.

The two best playerrs on this year's team are people he had....

As to Chris' statement, it is laughable that he doesn't understand how bad a basketball job CU was in the B12.

This year the PAC12 is a terrible conference. In fact as you'll see, only Cal gets ANY votes and they got a total of THREE in the AP:

1 Kentucky (63) 25-1 1,623
2 Syracuse (2) 25-1 1,559
3 Missouri 23-2 1,498
4 Kansas 20-5 1,356
5 Duke 21-4 1,336
6 Ohio State 21-4 1,284
7 Michigan State 20-5 1,283
8 North Carolina 21-4 1,227
9 Baylor 21-4 1,064
10 Georgetown 19-5 983
11 UNLV 22-4 976
12 Marquette 21-5 810
13 San Diego State 20-4 688
14 Florida 19-6 675
15 Wisconsin 19-6 635
16 Murray State 24-1 600
17 Michigan 19-7 562
18 Indiana 19-6 430
19 Louisville 20-5 421
20 Florida State 17-7 406
21 Saint Mary's 23-3 377
22 Virginia 19-5 337
23 Notre Dame 17-8 231
24 Gonzaga 20-4 221
24 Wichita State 22-4 221
Others receiving votes: Temple 122, Mississippi State 108, Creighton 20, Brigham Young 12, New Mexico 12, Long Beach State 12, Iowa State 10, Southern Miss 7, Harvard 6, Saint Louis 5, California 3, Vanderbilt 2, Virginia Commonwealth

Being third or fourth in the PAC12 this year is like being the best blind NASCAR driver.

Well now with [Redacted] at the helm, we're looking like one of the worst major conference teams. It's up to Wellman to decide whether or not we're one of the worst major conference jobs.

I still maintain that any worthwhile coach will not see the "quick trigger" as an obstacle. He will see the opportunity that is coaching Wake Forest, a small school with good facilities and a great tradition in one of the best basketball conferences. The longer we stay mired in irrelevance, the harder a sell Wake becomes.

It never ceases to amaze me that some supposed Wake fans would just completely ignore what they see day in and day out to continue to support this guy to the detriment of the school/team.

because they want to be right

Are you serious, son?

The previous coach at Colorado before [Redacted]...went 7 AND FUCKING 20 in his final year...and only made the NCAA Tournament twice in 12 years (and one of those years was his first year)

and I would say Colorado's current recruiting class is just as good as ours. I wouldn't say its better, but you would...only because you love to attack guys recruited by [Redacted].

Also..Boyle is his 2nd year at Colorado..you do realize how College Athletics work right.

Fucking idiots.

Yes, Boyle is in his 2nd year at Colorado and is winning primarily with a roster that he has put together. Too bad we don't have any evidence like that that [Redacted] can build a program, just an endless stream of excuses from the usual suspects.

Last edited:
The two best playerrs on this year's team are people he had....

Of Colorado's five top scorers, only one of them played a second for [Redacted]. Their leading scorer is the one from the interview Jake linked, in which he specifically said he would not have transferred to play for Bzz.

at Colorado
Patton: 184-160 (.535)
[Redacted]: 36-58 (.383)
Boyle: 36-20 (.643)

Well now with [Redacted] at the helm, we're looking like one of the worst major conference teams. It's up to Wellman to decide whether or not we're one of the worst major conference jobs.

I still maintain that any worthwhile coach will not see the "quick trigger" as an obstacle. He will see the opportunity that is coaching Wake Forest, a small school with good facilities and a great tradition in one of the best basketball conferences. The longer we stay mired in irrelevance, the harder a sell Wake becomes.

The top guys have options. Wake is a great job, but ther are other great jobs that don't come with this baggage.

Now if Wellman were to go as well, this problem would evaporate.

Colorado isn't any worse of a basketball job than Texas Tech, or Nebraska, or Iowa State or Oregon State or Washington State or Arizona State.

Brownell has won 1 NCAA game. And that was with a team that was given to him with tons of talent and he beat a bad UAB team.

No ranked wins this year and not headed to the dance. Don't understand what he's proven exactly.

Meh, he still won....Purnell couldn't do it, and UVA was ranked when we beat them.

Again...our current roster is

4 SR
2 JR
6 FR

Pretty young team. I guess we will see in a couple years about Brownell, but considering the personnel, I think Brownell has done a pretty decent job this season. Should be in good shape after the 2011 and 2012 classes get some experience.

If Herb Sendeck can win 20 games/yr in three out of his first four years, ASU can win. Oregon State has had terrible coaches for about twenty years, the have been a very good program when they had a good coach.

But it's interesting, that you bring up four or five out of close to a hundred and you don't consider it a terrible job. Hilarious.

Getting lucky once does equal being good enough to coach Wake. At that point he was 14-18 in his mid-major cofnerence. Sorry, that doesn't qualify him to be at Wake.

If you think that winning 4 conference tournament games in a row, then beating 3 seed Georgetown in the NCAAT (a game in which Ohio led wire-to-wire and won by double digits) is just "lucky," then I hope you never criticized Dino's postseason results. He must have just gotten unlucky.

He was 23-25 in conference games coming into this season not 29-27.

I included conference tournament games.

He is a basketball stat nerd that can't relate to his players, nor can he effectively get his ideas across to them.

As a basketball stats nerd, I take offense to this. Buzz has never struck me as a stats guy.

Back