• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

This thread is about context

As a basketball stats nerd, I take offense to this. Buzz has never struck me as a stats guy.

+1.

Two post-game quotes from this season jump to mind:

(paraphrasing)

'put their numbers together and they're averaging a double-double'

'take away their runs and we're winning'

If you 7-9 during the regular season (barring major injuries) and then win four in row in tournament, either you got lucky or you coached poorly during the season.

I'm sorry one week does not prove anything.

The following year he didn't make The Dance or the NIT.

I listed 6 jobs in the two conferences that CU is in.

Tad Boyle doesn't seem to be having a problem doing OK there.

If you 7-9 during the regular season (barring major injuries) and then win four in row in tournament, either you got lucky or you coached poorly during the season.

I'm sorry one week does not prove anything.

And if you're 4-25 during the regular season, you just need more time to prove yourself.

ACC Tournament, Thursday March 10, 2011 -- Boston College L 81-67
Big 12 Conference Tournament, Wednesday March 10, 2010 -- Texas Tech L 82-67
Big 12 Conference Tournament, Wednesday March 11, 2009 -- Texas L 67-56
Big 12 Conference Tournament, Thursday March 13, 2008 -- Baylor W 91-84 (2OT)
Big 12 Conference Tournament, Friday March 14, 2008 -- Oklahoma L 54-49
Mountain West Tournament, Thursday March 8, 2007 -- Wyoming L 67-62
Mountain West Tournament, Thursday March 9, 2006 -- Wyoming L 57-55

A week does not a coach make.

Last edited:
Jeff [Redacted]'s one magical week in the NIT in 2007 is the only postseason success he has ever had.

In fact, he's won four total games in the postseason all together in his career.

NIT wins: Wed Mar 14 Austin Peay W 75-51, Mon Mar 19 Georgia W 83-52, Wed Mar 21 DePaul W 52-51, and the aforementioned Baylor win in the Big 12 Tournament.

For those keeping score at home, including the Air Force first-round NCAAT loss, in the conference tournaments+ postseason tournaments, Jeff [Redacted] is 4-8 as the NCAA head coach of Air Force, Colorado and Wake Forest.

Last edited:
No, apparently you must have a much, much worse record to be qualified to coach at Wake.

Obviously...

I believe that is true, so he could get tripped up by morals, but that seems to be the only thing between him and some Sweet 16s

"Morals define personal character, while ethics stress a social system in which those morals are applied." Your use of the term morals above is correct. Unfortunately, with the current ethical climate in the AD's office I doubt it would be a problem at Wake.

It's interesting to see the multiple posters thinking Brownell was a bad hire. He made the tourney his first season, and did what Purnell couldn't, won a game. He lost a lot of talent off of last years team, and half if this years team is freshman, but they always put in a ton of effort and usually play great defense. We don't recruit like most of the ACC, but Brownell had a pretty good 2011 class, and I like the way the 2012 class looks. I Brownell will really start to succeed after he cycles out Purnell's recruits.....I like the hire.

Congratulations on your hire. While he would not have been my first choice for Wake, he is far, far above what we have now.

... Sloth and OGB are smacking you around like a pinata. I'll just watch and laugh at your ineptitude. If that makes me a (insert derogatory slur here) in your eyes, all the better. Because like 99% of posters here, I think your take on [Redacted] is always wrong.

:thumbsup:

... I look at Jeff [Redacted]'s record on the road in conference games back to his first year and April, see abhorrent numbers and conclude that Jeff [Redacted] isn't a good coach at all. ...

I agree. But don't forget that the body of evidence on Bzzz's coaching ability (or lack thereof) is far more complete than just this. How can the powers that be justify what they are doing to our players and program?

It never ceases to amaze me that some supposed Wake fans would just completely ignore what they see day in and day out to continue to support this guy to the detriment of the school/team.

Agreed! The viewpoint that we should somehow sacrifice ANOTHER year on the alter of Buzz is asinine. Besides not coming from any logical decision making process, it's not fair to the players or fans.

In his stops at Air Force, Colorado and Wake Forest, Jeff [Redacted] is 21-51 in the months of February and March.

Being third or fourth in the PAC12 this year is like being the best blind NASCAR driver.

Simply a terrible, terrible analogy. One of rj's worst and that is quite an accomplishment!

Simply a terrible, terrible analogy. One of rj's worst and that is quite an accomplishment!

RJ makes a lot of bad analogies about blindness. Pretty insensitive towards the blind community. I bet he wouldn't say all this to Stevie Wonder's face.

This season we have two legitimate ACC starters and four players who would get some minutes on other ACC teams. Of coruse we're going to get blown out by good teams.

There is a gross talent disconnect.

We get blown out by every team in the Top 50, and the vast majority of the Top 150. It's not just talent.

"Not setting the world on fire." We've had perhaps the worst two-season run of any team in BCS history. So yeah, we're "not setting the world on fire."

Last edited:
As a basketball stats nerd, I take offense to this. Buzz has never struck me as a stats guy.

No offense, but I'm not sure you would make a good head coach either - not that you have any aspirations to be one; no idea if you do one way or the other. But I do think you stat nerds would make for good assistants and/or backroom staff guys.

[Redacted] talks plenty about statistics when trying to make a point in post game and the coaches shows that I listened to. I do believe he knows the game of basketball pretty well, I just don't think he is effective at all at teaching the game of basketball or communicating his ideas to his players.

When your only ACC starting level players are an undersized SG and a modestly sized SF, you are going to get blown out by damn near every Top 50 you play.

I'd love to say this isn't so, but that's the reality.

This has nothnig to do with [Redacted]. When you are undertalented and undersized, this is what happens.

"It was obvious Crean was going to get it done based on who he is and who he was bringing in."

That's funny cause my relatives live in Indiana and people there want him gone now.

This year the PAC12 is a terrible conference.

Being third or fourth in the PAC12 this year is like being the best blind NASCAR driver.

Is that the same terrible conference that bottom feeder ASU annihilated the fighting [Redacted]'s by 28 earlier this year?

If 3rd or 4th in the PAC12 is the best blind NASCAR driver (not even sure what that means)...what does that make the team that got it's ass kicked by the worst team in that conference?

Is that the same terrible conference that bottom feeder ASU annihilated the fighting [Redacted]'s by 28 earlier this year?

If 3rd or 4th in the PAC12 is the best blind NASCAR driver (not even sure what that means)...what does that make the team that got it's ass kicked by the worst team in that conference?

:popcorn:

We get blown out by every team in the Top 50, and the vast majority of the Top 150. It's not just talent.

"Not setting the world on fire." We've had perhaps the worst two-season run of any team in BCS history. So yeah, we're "not setting the works on fire."

We don't even have any matches. :panda:

No offense, but I'm not sure you would make a good head coach either - not that you have any aspirations to be one; no idea if you do one way or the other. But I do think you stat nerds would make for good assistants and/or backroom staff guys.

[Redacted] talks plenty about statistics when trying to make a point in post game and the coaches shows that I listened to. I do believe he knows the game of basketball pretty well, I just don't think he is effective at all at teaching the game of basketball or communicating his ideas to his players.

Brad Stevens is a self-professed stats nerd; I think he's done ok.

I'd be a terrible head coach, for a number of reasons, unrelated to my unabashed love for KenPom.

As VT mentioned earlier, [Redacted] uses stats (at least publicly) in the stupidest ways possible (Carson and Ty combined means we're averaging a double double out of the center position!).

Back