• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Three UNC/NCState students killed by gunman

Additional link

http://www.newsobserver.com/welcome...4545775_three-people-shot-dead-in-chapel.html

Barakat and Abu-Salha were married Dec. 27. Abu-Salha’s Facebook photo – posted two days ago – shows her smiling as her father twirls her around the wedding dance floor.

She was scheduled to graduate in December with a degree in biological sciences from NCSU, according to a university release, and she graduated in 2011 from Athens Drive High School in Raleigh. Her sister Razan Abu-Salha graduated from Athens Drive in 2013 and was studying architecture and environmental design at NCSU.

Barakat, a Syrian-American, majored in business administration and management at NCSU before enrolling at UNC-Chapel Hill in 2013 to pursue his doctorate in dental surgery.

Both he and Abu-Salha advocated for global dental health, providing care and supplies to people in the United States and the Middle East. On Jan. 29, Barakat posted a Facebook photo of a Durham project that gave dental supplies and food to more than 75 homeless people this year.

That shoot is a deranged asshole. So glad we've built up hate and fear against evil muslims like these three...

Last edited:
Am I the only one who saw the last names of the victims and immediately assumed a white guy went and killed some muslims?

Am I the only one who saw the last names of the victims and immediately assumed a white guy went and killed some muslims?

Shooter turned himself in:

14439232-1423646278-640x360.jpg

That asshole appears to be wearing carolina blue. Wonder what his handle is on IC?

That mugshot looks really familiar.. was he previously arrested for something notorious?

Three lives, full of potential and on their way to fulfill it, snuffed out by an idiot with a gun.

Is it being confirmed by local news that this is indeed the case? This fuckwit targeted them because of their religion? Anything else seems doubtful but I'm wondering if the usual "people who knew him" have said things indicating his motives were solely related to religion.

Is it being confirmed by local news that this is indeed the case? This fuckwit targeted them because of their religion? Anything else seems doubtful but I'm wondering if the usual "people who knew him" have said things indicating his motives were solely related to religion.

All I've seen so far is the local news claiming he was an atheist per info on his facebook page.

A review of the Facebook page of the man charged in these murders, Craig Hicks, shows a consistent themes of anti-religion and progressive causes. Included in his many Facebook “likes” are the Huffington Post, Rachel Maddow, the Southern Poverty Law Center, Freedom from Religion Foundation, Bill Nye “The Science Guy,” Neil deGrasse Tyson, Gay Marriage groups, and a host of anti-conservative/Tea Party pages.

Remarkably, one of the four Facebook groups he had joined included “Religious Tolerance”.

http://pjmedia.com/tatler/2015/02/11/killer-of-3-unc-chapel-hill-muslim-students-was-hardcore-anti-religion-progressive/
B9jNF-AIYAIvzGJ.png

Last edited:
Personal friends of one of my college roommates. :tear:

What a fucking tragedy. I spent a decent amount of time over at Finley Forest during law school.

And can we leave the "he was a liberal/he was a conservative/he was an atheist" shit for another time?

What a fucking tragedy. I spent a decent amount of time over at Finley Forest during law school.

And can we leave the "he was a liberal/he was a conservative/he was an atheist" shit for another time?

Yep. He was just another fuckwit with a gun and appears to have targeted 3 muslims. Doesn't matter to me who he votes for.

Obviously we don't know yet...but if this was motivated by certain sentiments, then I think it warrants a discussion. But there will be time for that discussion after we know the details (looking at you, Wolf Blitzer).

+100000. We (myself included) are all too quick to compartmentalize and sling insults at one another, without really knowing anything about that other person. Taken to its extreme, that leads to assholes like this guy shooting innocent people who just want to lead productive lives.

Horrible tragedy. 1 UNC student and 2 State students though, right?

Back