• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Three UNC/NCState students killed by gunman

A sad occurrence and a sad commentary on today's society when the only thing that seems to matter is whether or not it is a hate crime so somebody can be blamed and overblown hashtags like #muslimlivesmatter can trend on Twitter. It is utterly bizarre to me that some choose to make that the primary focus of such a tragic event.

Where should the focus be? Guns?

From what I've seen there were no indicators that this guy needed psychiatric help or would have been refused a gun permit under stricter guidelines.

A sad occurrence and a sad commentary on today's society when the only thing that seems to matter is whether or not it is a hate crime so somebody can be blamed and overblown hashtags like #muslimlivesmatter can trend on Twitter. It is utterly bizarre to me that some choose to make that the primary focus of such a tragic event.

We're treading into politics board talks on this thread now, I just wanna slow this down before BDZ or someone gets their feelings hurt.

Well at the risk of hurting Go and ELC's feelings, here's a perfectly sensible piece from The Telegraph.

Is Stephen Hicks, the man charged with the murder of young Muslim Americans Deah Shaddy Barakat, Yusor Mohammad and Razan Mohammad Abu-Salha, a terrorist?
There’s a temptation to say “does it matter”?
He is accused of murder. Is that not enough?
Is the slaughter made more or less awful if we more strictly categorise the perpetrator? Not in itself, but our response may be affected by how we view the act.

So the circumstances surrounding an event shouldn't effect the way the society views them? Ok.

Twitter, hashtags, and millennials do suck though.

Also i will put it this way. If this was a hate crime it means that there are people living in the near area driven by their hatred enough to murder my family members and close friends.

Do you think I should view that the same as someone getting killed in a traffic dispute?

From what I've seen there were no indicators that this guy needed psychiatric help or would have been refused a gun permit under stricter guidelines.
Mental health was brought up at the wife's press conference and they alluded to some background on it. It sounds like the dude just snapped. As his lawyer said, no sane person would kill 3 people over a parking space. Could be just legal positioning but I tend to agree with his statement.

I need to hear more about the parking space. Was it assigned by the condo complex?

Mental health was brought up at the wife's press conference and they alluded to some background on it. It sounds like the dude just snapped. As his lawyer said, no sane person would kill 3 people over a parking space. Could be just legal positioning but I tend to agree with his statement.

Over what does a sane person kill another?

Also i will put it this way. If this was a hate crime it means that there are people living in the near area driven by their hatred enough to murder my family members and close friends.

Do you think I should view that the same as someone getting killed in a traffic dispute?

Well, since it is a random shooting and the guy is in jail, yeah. You should probably feel pretty safe about the latter part. It's not like we have an epidemic of Muslims being randomly selected for slaughter in this country. Given the events of the last 15-20 years, I think it is pretty incredible and a good commentary on our society that such things aren't more commonplace.

Well at the risk of hurting Go and ELC's feelings, here's a perfectly sensible piece from The Telegraph.

Again, a completely misplaced focus on labels. Yes, you're going to have some RW nutjobs focusing on every killer with a Muslim name as committing a terrorist act, but when a soldier kills 13 people and wounds 30+ while shouting "Allah akbar!," that is an act of terrorism. When assholes blow up the Boston Marathon, that is an act of terrorism. Call it a matter of scale, semantics, or whatever, but trying to focus the conversation on whether this guy is some kind of terrorist is retarded and shows a fucked up sense of priorities and relativism.

Again, a completely misplaced focus on labels. Yes, you're going to have some RW nutjobs focusing on every killer with a Muslim name as committing a terrorist act, but when a soldier kills 13 people and wounds 30+ while shouting "Allah akbar!," that is an act of terrorism. When assholes blow up the Boston Marathon, that is an act of terrorism. Call it a matter of scale, semantics, or whatever, but trying to focus the conversation on whether this guy is some kind of terrorist is retarded and shows a fucked up sense of priorities and relativism.

Depends on who's having the conversation I guess. From a legal standpoint "hate crime" is a distinction. Our most recent previous President declared war on the very abstract concept of terror.

What tangible good the conversation does us is another discussion, but I'm not sure where relativism or priorities come in.

Depends on who's having the conversation I guess. From a legal standpoint "hate crime" is a distinction. Our most recent previous President declared war on the very abstract concept of terror.

What tangible good the conversation does us is another discussion, but I'm not sure where relativism or priorities come in.

Hate crime <> terrorism

Back