• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Three UNC/NCState students killed by gunman

my friend went to dental school with the guy. same class. was his buddy. sucks.

All three went to State, two had graduated, one had started his grad studies at UNC and another was set to start at UNC in the fall. (Forgive me for being nit-picky, just giving them their due.)

From an article posted earlier:

All three had earned honors as undergraduate students at NCSU, according to university officials.

Barakat graduated with a bachelors degree in business, magna cum laude, in 2013. Yusor Mohammad Abu-Salha graduated last fall – a semester early – cum laude with a degree in biological sciences. And Razan Abu-Salha was on the dean's list last fall, her first semester at NCSU. She was studying design and because of transfer credits was a sophomore.

Barakat, a Syrian-American, enrolled at UNC-Chapel Hill in 2013 to pursue his doctorate in dental surgery.

ETA: the fundraising site has increased $100k in less than a day.

Last edited:
Is it just me or is the prejudice against muslims more deeply held by the olds? Some mix of growing up in a cold war mentality and 9/11 resonating more with the older generation, or am I way off base?

Wasn't there a poster here or on TOB called Barakat?

yeah, named after the former ACC head of refs (?) who we, as students terrorized with wooden flagpoles at the Joel until he had them banned. WFDeacon04 was a menace with those things. Why?

This might be wonderfully racist, for all I know Barakat could be the Syrian version of Lee or Smith, but given their NC ties I wonder if there is any relation there.

To the ref, not the poster

I had a meeting with a client trying to get exempt status for his mosque today that is from Bosnia.

At one point in the meeting when going over some forms at one question he mentions "I don't know if you know this but some people just hear the word Islam and hate us."

Slow down with the T word there, son. This was clearly a lone wolf, someone who was just a crazy. Can't go throwing that T word around to just anyone.

Maybe your definition of a terrorist. Guy with gun who shoots innocents sounds like a terrorist to me, and it has nothing to do with race, origin or religion.

Is it just me or is the prejudice against muslims more deeply held by the olds? Some mix of growing up in a cold war mentality and 9/11 resonating more with the older generation, or am I way off base?

I think the younger generation is extremely prejudiced too when push comes to shove. Younger kids haev only grown up in a post 9/11 world and this is their Soviet Union. Anytime an entire group can be demonized its going to resonate with a large swath of the community. I dont think the mentality will change as much with Muslims than it will with blacks, gays, and hispanics after these olds finally kick the bucket. Just my two cents.

What a fucking tragedy. I spent a decent amount of time over at Finley Forest during law school.

And can we leave the "he was a liberal/he was a conservative/he was an atheist" shit for another time?

I don't disagree, but I seriously doubt we'd be rushing to leave demographics out of it if the killer were an ultra-conservative whackjob who claimed Christianity.

A sad occurrence and a sad commentary on today's society when the only thing that seems to matter is whether or not it is a hate crime so somebody can be blamed and overblown hashtags like #muslimlivesmatter can trend on Twitter. It is utterly bizarre to me that some choose to make that the primary focus of such a tragic event.

Any time there is a focus on not killing members of a disliked minority it truly is bizarre. That's the real tragedy IMO.

Back