• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Three UNC/NCState students killed by gunman

Does anybody think that this guy who snapped and then turned himself in was really attempted to commit an act of terror? The definition I learned growing up was essentially what it is now-- "the use of violence and threats to intimidate or coerce, especially for political purposes." I would add that affecting political change seems to be the primary motivation for terrorism. This guy going all Michael Douglas in Falling Down doesn't seem to fit the mold. Or are we going to say that he was committing some kind of atheist version of jihad?

Where should the focus be? Guns?

On nothing in particular except for it appearing to be a run-of-the-mill murder (3 of them, in this case). If you want to focus on guns, be my guest. Sorry to say that he appeared to kill them execution style with a pistol (probably a 5 shooter revolver) and not with the dreaded assault rifle. No form of gun control ever realistically proposed in Washington would change what happened.

This guy going all Michael Douglas in Falling Down doesn't seem to fit the mold.

Woah.

Hicks' ex-wife, Cynthia Hurley, told The Associated Press that, before they divorced about 17 years ago, his favorite movie was "Falling Down," the 1993 Michael Douglas film about a divorced, unemployed engineer on a shooting rampage.

"That always freaked me out," Hurley said. "He watched it incessantly. He thought it was hilarious. He had no compassion at all."

Read more at http://www.wral.com/chapel-hill-mur...-towing-company/14443091/#3eQT2B8wS0ki6AAS.99

So the consensus now is that these murders were not racially or religiously motivated?

So the consensus now is that these murders were not racially or religiously motivated?

It sounds like the guy was just basically the biggest gun-wielding asshole of all time, but we may never know for sure.

Sounds like a hate-filled guy who hated his religious and happy neighbors.

Slightly off topic, but related to Islam. One of my co-workers from India has a Muslim wife. They are in the process of relocating to the US so she can get away from being persecuted for her religion. You think we have some anti-Islam sentiment here in the US? You should see how sharp the divide is in places like India.

Slightly off topic, but related to Islam. One of my co-workers from India has a Muslim wife. They are in the process of relocating to the US so she can get away from being persecuted for her religion. You think we have some anti-Islam sentiment here in the US? You should see how sharp the divide is in places like India.
In general the US is way ahead of the curve of hate in the world

Isn't India the second most populous Muslim state?

Back