• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Totally Unofficial 2017/18 Premier League Thread (NWT)

I think playing Chicharito and AC together would leave a great deal to be desired offensively in terms of creativity.

It would straight up 1980s style football.

Hoof it to the big man, flick on for the small quick man, GOAL!

Bilic is too cultured and smart to employ such miserably daft tactics though... but I could see it in the final 15 minutes of a game when West Ham are chasing a goal and it could work.

https://twitter.com/darian_pedro/status/889580231505444865

God damn. Naby Keita wrecking dudes and dudes are wrecking Keita. Trained on his own last week. Even if RBL don't want to sell, it's becoming untenable to keep him around.

But man, LFC's way of doing business seems pretty underhanded and shady. Infiltrate, tap up, unsettle, and force players to put in transfer requests...keeps happening too. Like you'd think after we swooped like 6 times for Soton players, we'd eventually work out a decent business relationship. Nope. Now we've made VVD's place at Soton unstable too.

FIGURE IT OUT GUYS

cost of doing business?

I mean, I suppose so. And I know tapping up is more ubiquitous than I'm letting on, but I just don't like how we do business. But like also, if it's that common, how come LFC constantly gets outed for that shit? Do we just suck at covering our tracks?

I've stumbled across a bunch of outlets that claim LFC generally just suck to deal with re: transfers. If I were a Soton fan, I'd want to drop kick everyone affiliated with LFC.

Seems to me that Liverpool go more through the players they want than their agents. Or at least they contact the players before permission is given.

Agents are fair game in the transfer world and that's why they get ridiculous sums of money, as they facilitate these crazy transfers.

Honestly, I just think one or more people involved at Liverpool stupidly pushes the envelope for no reason other than to try to expedite the transfer without thinking long term or of consequences. Didn't Klopp talk about VVG in the media as a transfer target early this summer? That is also a no-no and could be considered "tapping up" if the club holding the player's playing rights raises a stink about the comments.

Seems to me that Liverpool go more through the players they want than their agents. Or at least they contact the players before permission is given.

Agents are fair game in the transfer world and that's why they get ridiculous sums of money, as they facilitate these crazy transfers.

Honestly, I just think one or more people involved at Liverpool stupidly pushes the envelope for no reason other than to try to expedite the transfer without thinking long term or of consequences. Didn't Klopp talk about VVG in the media as a transfer target early this summer? That is also a no-no and could be considered "tapping up" if the club holding the player's playing rights raises a stink about the comments.

Rumor is that Klopp spoke privately with specific journalists about doing their best to unsettle VVD. Asking him pointed questions about LFC and all its glory. Again, not a revolutionary tactic but it seems that we consistently do stuff like this (or at least get caught doing it).

Agree on "pushing envelope" thing too.

Real pumped for the season coming up, but I just want this transfer window in the rearview mirror.

Odds to win the league are:

Man City
Chelski
Man U
Cocks
Arsenal
Pool
Everton
Everyone else.

Odds to win the league are:

Man City
Chelski
Man U
Cocks
Arsenal
Pool
Everton
Everyone else.

Stones, Kompany, Neck Tat aren't winning the Prem. Sorry.

Yep, it just seems Liverpool are very ham fisted about it and don't have good working relationships with top agents. It shouldn't be a surprise at this point that the Liverpool upper management team are maybe not the best in world football, but it's silly stuff like this that really hurts them. There's no reason they shouldn't have landed VVG this window, and they probably could have recognized that Keita wasn't available for sale and instead of making a mess of it - backed off quietly and worked the relationship with his agent and with RBL in preparation for the next window maybe. That's the stuff smart clubs do, and frankly - Liverpool isn't a smart club and hasn't been for a while.

I'm not one to defend Pool but before this window, they've had some successful ones

Mane, Coutinho, Firmino, Lallana

I thought Karius was a coup at the time too

Can't seem to buy a top class defender but ask City and United how hard that is

Can someone explain why everywhere that talks about VVD to Liverpool says they have to "be careful"? I understand they apologized and stuff for either tapping up or things being mistaken as tapping up, but if that's the case shouldn't that be over? Like are they not free to seek a transfer now, and if not, then why is he still an option?

I'm not one to defend Pool but before this window, they've had some successful ones

Mane, Coutinho, Firmino, Lallana

I thought Karius was a coup at the time too

Can't seem to buy a top class defender but ask City and United how hard that is
Bailly is class

Yep, it just seems Liverpool are very ham fisted about it and don't have good working relationships with top agents. It shouldn't be a surprise at this point that the Liverpool upper management team are maybe not the best in world football, but it's silly stuff like this that really hurts them. There's no reason they shouldn't have landed VVG this window, and they probably could have recognized that Keita wasn't available for sale and instead of making a mess of it - backed off quietly and worked the relationship with his agent and with RBL in preparation for the next window maybe. That's the stuff smart clubs do, and frankly - Liverpool isn't a smart club and hasn't been for a while.

Unfortunately, this is pretty accurate IMO. We barrel into other clubs, expect the clout (of decades past) to bully them into submission, and if that doesn't work, unsettle their players to a point where they're forced to sell.

Done a better job lately with bringing in the right players (e.g. pretty much anybody worth dick from Southampton). Just getting very exhausted with the business approach, as it seems we're more abrasive than most other clubs in the transfer market.

Can someone explain why everywhere that talks about VVD to Liverpool says they have to "be careful"? I understand they apologized and stuff for either tapping up or things being mistaken as tapping up, but if that's the case shouldn't that be over? Like are they not free to seek a transfer now, and if not, then why is he still an option?

I'm actually not privy to how this shakes out now, from an ethics standpoint. I believe we're still allowed to pursue VVD, legally, through Soton. If we aren't "careful" and continue to use illegal tactics, the FA can slap a transfer ban/fine on the club. But...at this point...damage has been done to both VVD and LFC reputation. The deal will probably come to pass, but it's bad look for anyone who's thinking about doing business with LFC soon.

Bailly is class

Lindelof is too but he plus the below are like £130m for a couple quality players and some squad depth, which was the point I was making

Darmian
Bailly
Shaw
Rojo
Blind

Idk what vad is talking about, Kyle Walker Peters is trash

Townie are we going to sign Siggy and one of Giroud/Dzeko/Benteke?

If so I would pumped!

*be pumped

Also who's are cover at LB? I don't see Bainesy playing an entire season without some knocks at his age.

Back