• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Totally Unofficial 2021/22 Premier League Thread (NWT)

And its confirmed, Carlo gone.

Erik Ten Hag, Pellegrino Matarazzo and Urs Fischer would be my first three calls.

It will be Eddie Howe or Nuno though.

nuno gonna end up at palace i think

call lucien favre

nuno gonna end up at palace i think

call lucien favre

He's 63 and dropped off significantly at Dortmund this year. Players didn't really like him either. They played better under the U23 manager who finished the season.

I want someone young and hungry, high intensity. ALso someone who realizes that slow players have no place in modern football, particularly in the PL. We need pace and power, and a manager who understands that.

Honestly I forgot how lame Wolves were this season. Worst than us, honestly.

That's a big no to Nuno. I'd even rather have Potter, who I don't believe is ready for this level, but at least he'll try and play some decent stuff.

Can we have high intensity, direct, pacey football at Everton please? Why do we never go that way. Its always Guardiola or Big Sam wannabes.

his dortmund teams scored loads and loads of goals though

i think the unrest in the squad was about the team size more than favre, and i still think he'd have a decade in him

Trippier to United rumors really picking up a bit of steam along with the usual Sancho (agreed personal terms blah blah, just need United & Dortmund to agree on price and payment structure blah blah)

Would be great to get those two signed before the Euros start. Would then mean United just needed a top defensive mid and pacey CB to finish a good summer.

I still really want to be like "uh huh ok sure" (insert Jennifer Lawrence gif) about all this but...

Things. Just. Keep. Happening. Maybe Dad really is returning from a few years out buying cigs.

I also said Bale returning was FUN, if not actually GOOD and that turned out well, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

LOL. GOOD LUCK WHEN FAT FRANK IS CONFIRMED.

Jesus Christ no. Although he might actually #playthekids, which would be refreshing.

It’s going to be fucking Nuno and his slow ass boreball, I can feel it in my bones.

I’ll just take a deep breath and remember that next season’s priority is to continue culling this horrible team. Nuno will last 18 months, not win anything, but hopefully our financial and squad situation will be significantly better.

Humors me that supporters of sides like Everton are unhappy about "boring" football that may or may not bring success, when they haven't tasted success in nearly 3 decades.

As if when Everton, hypotheically, won a major honor like the 2022 FA Cup that you'd not be happy with successive 1-0 smash and grabs. Spare us, please. When has Everton EVER been known for free flowing football? The Big Dunc years??

And Wolves played good/fun football in 2019/20. Recency bias got yall twisted on Nuno. He's a good manager IMO. I hope he goes to Palace as he could make them a solid top half club.

I like the “Ancelotti kind of stunk as a manager but he was a big name so it would’ve been nice to have one more window to sign better players than maybe we would have otherwise to four year deals” take. Honestly makes a lot of sense.

I like the “Ancelotti kind of stunk as a manager but he was a big name so it would’ve been nice to have one more window to sign better players than maybe we would have otherwise to four year deals” take. Honestly makes a lot of sense.

The "James Rodriguez" move, they call it.

Humors me that supporters of sides like Everton are unhappy about "boring" football that may or may not bring success, when they haven't tasted success in nearly 3 decades.

As if when Everton, hypotheically, won a major honor like the 2022 FA Cup that you'd not be happy with successive 1-0 smash and grabs. Spare us, please. When has Everton EVER been known for free flowing football? The Big Dunc years??

And Wolves played good/fun football in 2019/20. Recency bias got yall twisted on Nuno. He's a good manager IMO. I hope he goes to Palace as he could make them a solid top half club.

Its sad that our resident Anglophile doesn't remember the Everton School of Science from the 1980's under Howard Kendall. We played some real creative, high pressure football back in those days before Liverpool and their murderous fans got us banned form Europe. Ferguson was certainly a grock, but even our 90's sides didn't just lump it up to him.

I'm not going to lose my mind when Nuno is announced (seems eminent this morning) but I'm not overly enthusiastic. If the best he can do is sit back defensively and bunker his way to 7th place, then he'll be no different than the other managers we'd had come through this club, including Moyes. I also don't like his shady ass Mendes connection. We've paid plenty in agent fees for shitty players over the last few years, we don't need another leech hanging onto our club.

My argument, and the argument of many sensible Everton supporters, is that signing older prestige players is the wrong way of going about it. James was great to watch when healthy, but that was only about a quarter of the season. Carlo built his team around a player that was rarely fir. We need to build our squad organically and stop looking for short term fixes. I believe that is what our DoF Marcel Brands wants to do, but the too good to be true Carlo signing altered those plans. We need to go back to that model. We need to start signing more Ben Godfreys and less players like James Rodriguez.

I could see Nuno being on board with a return to that direction, which is why I'm lukewarm and not totally against his potential appointment.

Duncan Ferguson Years - stint 1; the best Everton finished was in 1996:

Everton PL Results 1995/96: W17 D10 L11 GF64 GA44 GD+20 PTS61

Almost got relegated in '98, surviving only by goal difference

Duncan Ferguson Years - stint 2; the best Everton finished was in 2005:

Everton PL Results 2004/05: W18 D7 L13 GF45 GA46 GD-1 PTS61

Carlo's only year:

Everton PL Results 2020-21: W17 D8 L13 GF47 GA48 GD-1 PTS59

Everton is not known for playing the type of football you claim to love.

Totally Unofficial 2020/21 Premier League Thread (NWT)

Duncan Ferguson Years - stint 1; the best Everton finished was in 1996:

Everton PL Results 1995/96: W17 D10 L11 GF64 GA44 GD+20 PTS61

Almost got relegated in '98, surviving only by goal difference

Duncan Ferguson Years - stint 2; the best Everton finished was in 2005:

Everton PL Results 2004/05: W18 D7 L13 GF45 GA46 GD-1 PTS61

Carlo's only year:

Everton PL Results 2020-21: W17 D8 L13 GF47 GA48 GD-1 PTS59

Everton is not known for playing the type of football you claim to love.

Was Duncan Ferguson an Everton player in the 1980's when the won European cups and the PL twice? That was my actual argument. I don't remember those days but most Everton fans older than me do, so there is an expectation that Everton at least try and play football.

Also how many sit and bunker managers succeed today? Zero. The game has changed. You have to at least pressure the ball, even if you want to play on the counter. Carlo was giving his best Big Sam impression for the last six months.

Listen this a bad Everton side, we have so many overrated and overpriced players. We aren’t winning shit next season, which is fine as long as we are headed somewhere in the next 2-3 seasons. I just don’t want to be mediocre and play bad football.

Last edited:
Nottingham Forest won 2 European Cups in a row. Brian Clough ain't walking through their door and Howard Kendall ain't walking through yours.

And you just did a post talking about glory from the 80s but then say the game has changed so you cannot play in a style that was successful in the past.

Anyway, if I'm Everton I hire Eddie Howe.

And you just did a post talking about glory from the 80s but then say the game has changed so you cannot play in a style that was successful in the past.

Anyway, if I'm Everton I hire Eddie Howe.

Huh? I’m just saying that you can’t win today playing negative football. Nuno is ultra negative. Even when they have cared to keep possession at Wolves it’s turgid and slow.

I really hope we inform him up front that we are only buying U23s moving forward and that’s he here to oversee the overhaul.

Just keep us up for the next two seasons and then we’ll hire a real manager when our squad and finances are in a better spot.

If that’s the plan I can live with it.

Last edited:

Oh and no to Howe. Anyone who paid 20M for Dom Solanke is not allowed anywhere near my club.

Back