• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Totally Unofficial 2021/22 Premier League Thread (NWT)

Andros Townsend undergoing a medical at Everton today
Would be a free transfer. And a decent one at that, good squad option

The one thing I learned in my statistics class way back at IU was that correlation does not prove causation. Having said that, I present the following stats for the Henderson haters (taken from an Athletic article on Henderson's contract discussions):

Going back to the start of 2016-17 and Klopp’s first full season in charge, Liverpool have lost 13 of the 116 league games where Henderson has been in the line-up — that’s 11 per cent. Of the 56 league games they have started without him over that period, they have been beaten 10 times – 18 per cent.

Liverpool have scored an average of 1.27 goals per game when he has started. That figure drops to 0.59 goals per game when he hasn’t.

Average league position of those teams where Henderson starts vs doesn't would be an interesting extra layer to explore. There is little chance that sideways McHendo is actually helping Liverpool score goals with passes that unlock the defense.

Just enjoyed revisiting all the shit I've talked on these boards about Henderson over the last decade. I'm disappointed my posts from the old boards are lost forever, bc I was shit-talking him before any of you Liverpool fans had ever heard of him.

Still think noble got shafted by England who picked over him a cadre of absolutely terrible central midfielders for several tournaments in a row. A bunch of y'all were in agreement in 2016 that Henderson (and lallana) should be sold. El Chupe tried to convince me West Ham should buy henderson. Cresswell and Antonio got shafted too after brilliant seasons leading up to 2016.

Looks like I've changed my mind about Shelvey, but otherwise I stand by most of my takes.

OMG Jonjo Shelvey

god he was a shit player. A Hollywood player without the ability. Like Charlie Adam.

Haha, not the way you're thinking: I grew to like him more. England's pool of ball-winning midfielders during that period was sad.

I'm getting pissed off all over again that Henderson even made that 2016 squad after the terrible season he had. Wtf

BTB didn't defend his selection. Timdunk agreed it was the wrong decision on form.

I can't believe an in-form noble didn't make a midfield consisting of dier, Milner, and injured wilshere and Henderson

New DoF Paratici seems to be taking a scattershot approach to transfers (lots of negotiations for each selection) and it seems like Atalanta GK Gianluigi Gollini and Sevilla MF Bryan Gil are perhaps the closest to reality at the moment. Also Atalanta CB Cristian Romero, but discussions ongoing.

eta: The Gil deal would have Lamela moving the other direction, which makes me so sad, but would be a great exchange for the squad.

Last edited:
Gil looks like he could be a really astute acquisition. He didn't put up big numbers as a 19/20 year-old at Eibar last season (20th in La Liga, only netted 29 times last season) but that was partially due to him having little in the way of finishers to work with. Suffice to say, that wouldn't be an issue at Spurs, not least if Kane stays. He was 50th percentile among La Liga forwards in assists but 86th percentile in expected assists. 54th percentile in goal-creating actions but 91st percentile in shot-creating actions. 76th and 91st percentile in progressive passes and progressive carries, respectively. Sounds like a bundle of fun.

Last edited:
Back