• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Totally Unofficial 2021/22 Premier League Thread (NWT)

First Mane and now Arlo? The Red Shite cult must be reeling.

I didn’t realize Liverpool fans had a strong affinity towards White. I liked him fine and would be a little nervous if they didn’t already name a superior successor.

Arlo is from, and supports, Leicester. Not sure what Brasky is talking about there.

I won't miss Arlo. Unlike most British announcers, Arlo talks way too much and doesn't let the broadcast breathe.

I won't miss Arlo. Unlike most British announcers, Arlo talks way too much and doesn't let the broadcast breathe.

I thought Arlo was great when NBC first got the rights but has progressively gotten worse the last few years. He almost has gone reverse Martin Tyler where everything is "SO AMAZING OH MY GOD WHAT A GOAL/SHOT/TACKLE" and nothing just is what it is.

@dv7, Arlo has had a tendency to over-romanticize Liverpool recently, especially considering they only one the one title during the pandemic year. He does similar things with Tottenham and occasionally your own Manchester United. I believe that Brasky is just alluding to the Liverpool aspect though. But that's not why he has started to be a bad PxP guy in my eyes, see above for that (and BTB is spot on as well).

right, but didn't Arlo wax poetic about nearly everything, like you said? he blew smoke up Arteta's ass too a time or two. It's just his style and I never got any pro-Liverpool (or any other club) feelings from him calling matches.

reminded me of a somewhat subdued Ray Hudson

Yea agree with Gooner and BTB.

Every little pass from a Pool/City player was DELICIOUS or STUNNING which takes away from the calls when there are actual beautiful passages of play. There was a literal five yard lateral pass from Henderson to Fabinho in a game earlier this season that Arlo called "breathtaking" Twitter made a meme of.

And for whatever it's worth Arlo's Twitter pic is of him with Mo Salah. He was just doing a job though, I'm sure he'd do the same if other teams were at the top. Just wasn't adding much.

Arlo is a jock sniffer and a hack, who knew which clubs and players to fellate on air to gain the most attention. Just a terrible “neutral” commentator, would probably be fine working
for one team/organization.

Last edited:
The good thing is that Peter Drury is for my money the absolute best PxP soccer commentator in the sport right now and having him on more games and the best games will only enhance the product.

Why are Liverpool playing hardball with Bayern over Mane? The player wants to leave and is in the last year of his contract. Tell Bayern it will be 40 mil Euros and they'll do that considering the offers they've already reportedly submitted to Liverpool. Diaz is going to eat into his minutes anyway and they are going to get Darwin from Benfica as well. Just get on with it.

Full disclosure - I wanted Mane at United when he was at Soton and also wanted Luis Diaz at United before going to Merseyside. I don't really rate Darwin Nunez but now that I've made that statement on here, I'm sure he will go to Liverpool and bag 50 goals next season. Because, fuck me, right?

Why are Liverpool playing hardball with Bayern over Mane? The player wants to leave and is in the last year of his contract. Tell Bayern it will be 40 mil Euros and they'll do that considering the offers they've already reportedly submitted to Liverpool. Diaz is going to eat into his minutes anyway and they are going to get Darwin from Benfica as well. Just get on with it.

Because at the moment Liverpool appear to be a very well run club and in the recent past have benefitted massively for selling players at the right price? Seems like LFC are going to sell some combination of Mane, Neco Williams, Nat Philips, and Takumi Minamino, which could realistically bring in 60m+ euros. Those funds coming in, as well as the wages no longer being spent, including the wages of departed Origi, would seemingly allow LFC to buy Darwin without much issue.

Because at the moment Liverpool appear to be a very well run club and in the recent past have benefitted massively for selling players at the right price? Seems like LFC are going to sell some combination of Mane, Neco Williams, Nat Philips, and Takumi Minamino, which could realistically bring in 60m+ euros. Those funds coming in, as well as the wages no longer being spent, including the wages of departed Origi, would seemingly allow LFC to buy Darwin without much issue.

so basically what I said. cool.

40 mil for a player that wants to leave in the last year of his contract is good business. agreed?

to be frank, I always get confused whether we are talking about Euros or pounds, or what is worth what, so I'm hesitant to say too much beyond that Liverpool think he is worth 40m (something), and Bayern's offers haven't come close to that right now.

fwiw (which is nothing), I'm skeptical of spending this much on Nunez. But he would provide something different, which I suppose is needed.

to be frank, I always get confused whether we are talking about Euros or pounds, or what is worth what, so I'm hesitant to say too much beyond that Liverpool think he is worth 40m (something), and Bayern's offers haven't come close to that right now.

fwiw (which is nothing), I'm skeptical of spending this much on Nunez. But he would provide something different, which I suppose is needed.

Bayern apparently offered 30 mil pounds + nearly 7 mil pounds in add-ons which Liverpool rejected because the add-ons would be hard to reach (I think I read Mane would have to win Ballon D'or 3 times in a row and Bayern would have to win multiple CLs)

anyway, I'm kinda surprised that we aren't seeing more rumors about Bobby Firmino being shopped around - it *feels* to me like he isn't all that rated by Klopp anymore, so may as well sell now as his value is likely to continue to go down as playing time decreases.
He was another player I wanted Man United to sign but they don't listen to my ramblings, apparently.

for the record, I'd love for United to sign Nkunku from RB Leipzig. Dude is going to be a star and I'm convinced he's the type of player that would flourish in EtH's system as he could play anywhere across the front line.

PSV Eindhoven midfielder Ibrahim Sangare has set his heart on a move to the Premier League, with Liverpool, Chelsea, Manchester United and Newcastle monitoring the 24-year-old Ivory Coast international. (Sky Sports)

said to have a release clause of 35mil Euros

FUubVrXXwAM7i3h

yes please.

Honest question here. If you were put in charge of Everton, what would you do?

A close friend and colleague of mine (Charlton supporter by birth, Brighton supporter by marriage) and I discuss frequently whether or not Everton are a "big club." The answer is somewhere in the middle, I think. By recent performance, clearly not a big club. Historically, a big club. Newcastle is perhaps the best comp?

Anyway, you're named the Director of Football or whatever for the Toffees. You've inherited a mess; a club that overpays, often for aging players, and rarely finds that diamond in the rough before paying big money for him (with the possible exception of DCL; Richarlison doesn't qualify). You've also inherited a club with massive support, tremendous (albeit distant) history, relatively deep pockets and a future new ground.

What would you do?

Last edited:
The new DoF has inherited a bit of a mess, but there is some young talent that wants to play instead of the pensioners we usually trot out.

For me there are tiers (ignoring that other clubs will be coming for some of our best):

Keep
Patterson
Holgate
Mina
Godfrey
Mykolenko
Branthwaite
Richarlison
DCL
Gordon
Gray

Keep, but recruit replacements
Pickford
Begovic
Kenny
Allan
Doucoure
van de Beek
Dele
Davies
Townsend
Iwobi

Move on
Lonergan
Keane
Coleman (retire)
Delph
Gomes
Rondon
Tosun

Quite simply nobody good enough in the midfield. Allan can't stay fit. Doucoure is fine, works hard, should be a rotation player instead of an every game starter. Nobody else nearly good enough. There's barely an XI that you'd want to build around. I know Everton overpay for talent, but we should be raiding the Championship every year looking for players like Jarrod Bowen. There are a handful every year that stick out with gaudy stats that are under 25 and worth taking a punt for < $10MM. We need to massively turn over the squad, and we shouldn't do it with big signings, we should do it with young hungry players. There are also probably some ready to come up and play significant senior minutes, but we saw how run down Gordon got at the end of the season, need to ease them in.

Would it not make sense to cash in on Richarlison and DCL and invest those funds (likely to be significant)?

Back