• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Totally Unofficial 2022/23 Premier League Thread

Is Onana leaving?
So far nobody willing to pay the price tag we’ve put on him (£60m). He likes the club and isn’t asking out, but it’s only a matter of time.

He’s exactly the type of young player we need to be buying, very similar to the Brighton midfield turnover, buy from £7-£15m, sell at 5-8x that.

I know he’d get a hell of a lot more yellows in a blue shirt

Eye test and numbers don’t really gel for me, but could be the kind of player I hate on another team but like when he plays for Everton (like Richy)
See, I dunno about that. Everton had one player (Onana) with more yellows than McT (9 vs 8), and Onana played in 9 more games in the prem than McT. In fact, Onana got one yellow every 277.33 minutes and McT got one every 143.6 minutes. Looking at everyone with more yellows than McT, only Connor Gallagher had a higher rate than McT. Over the course of the season, Everton only received two more yellows than United.

This is pretty cool. Liverpool had basically abandoned their Women's team for a decade until last year when they rehired the guy who had won them a couple of titles. Now they are re-purchasing Melwood and turning it into the Women's training ground and academy. They had sold Melwood to an affordable housing developer but it never got off the ground for some reason (I need to read more into it).

Anyway, Katie Stengel plays for Liverpool now and led them in scoring last season to keep them up. Hoping this vaults them up a notch and they can start challenging within a few years -- the league has gotten a LOT better since they won it.

Reactions: BTB
See, I dunno about that. Everton had one player (Onana) with more yellows than McT (9 vs 8), and Onana played in 9 more games in the prem than McT. In fact, Onana got one yellow every 277.33 minutes and McT got one every 143.6 minutes. Looking at everyone with more yellows than McT, only Connor Gallagher had a higher rate than McT. Over the course of the season, Everton only received two more yellows than United.
I did a long ass post about this in the past but McTominay is top 3 in the league in fouls per yellow. So yeah he gets a lot of yellows (Everton do as well), but he could certainly be getting a lot more.

Many such players, Fabinho to the eye test too. Just racks up foul after foul after foul but goes uncarded. Whereas to my very unbiased and fair eye, Everton players are given yellows very quickly!

Manchester United commit 11.2 fouls per game (8th most) on 17.3 tackles per game (9th most) and received 80 cards (8th most).

Everton commit 10.4 fouls per game (15th most) on 18.6 tackles per game (4th most) and received 81 cards (6th most).

If you do a comparison of fouls to cards, Manchester United are right about where you’d expect them to be, Everton most overly punished (nobody commits fewer fouls but gets more cards) and Brighton least punished (commit 6th most fouls, receive 15th most cards).

Many mediating factors but yea

12th in fouls, 15th in tackles, 13th in discipline

Isn't Lavia to Palace just about done? Thought I read that on Twitter this morning

ETA: Now I can't find it so I don't know what my eyes tricked my brain into thinking I saw. Nevermind.

Last edited:
Lavia is rumored to be on the (rather lengthy) list of Liverpool targets. Manu Kone and Khephren Thuram are being thrown around the most right now though. I'm no expert on it, but LFC are limited in how many foreign players they can buy based on the current squad make-up (unless there are further outgoings).

Manchester United commit 11.2 fouls per game (8th most) on 17.3 tackles per game (9th most) and received 80 cards (8th most).

Everton commit 10.4 fouls per game (15th most) on 18.6 tackles per game (4th most) and received 81 cards (6th most).

If you do a comparison of fouls to cards, Manchester United are right about where you’d expect them to be, Everton most overly punished (nobody commits fewer fouls but gets more cards) and Brighton least punished (commit 6th most fouls, receive 15th most cards).

Many mediating factors but yea
I'd be curious how this plays out over time. I would think that the that there are a lot of mediating factors that would result in a lack of consistency over, say, the last 10 seasons. I would think that there is a ton of shifting around when you consider different players and playing styles as managers change. I would perhaps expect a team that has transitioned through a number of managers in a short time to be more undisciplined and have either more fouls or worse fouls (leading to more cards) or both. And there are certainly players who are more adept in terms of tackling who may cause more fouls but fewer of a variety that merit a yellow (and then they would typically get them for accumulation, which skews that kind of stat). And you have players who are maybe a little more reckless, overexuberant or even a little stompy with their fouls and so they get them sooner (e.g., McT). And then inconsistency in refereeing could contribute to these results.

I dunno, I just don't necessarily buy in to arguments that certain teams get all of the calls or aren't treated the same, certainly not in the long term. My brother and I are both Cowboys fans and we watch games together or at least text back and forth constantly during games, and I often feel like he and I are watching different games. Every time there is a flag on Dallas he claims that it was either a missed call or that the other team didn't get called for the same thing. He's a Newcastle fan and does the same thing there, but I don't watch all of those games so I don't really pay as much attention. But it can get so incredibly annoying.

I don't think there is really a right or wrong answer, but there is so much subjectivity and uncertainty to fouls in any sport that I try not to get too worked up.

I think Dewsbury-Hall is kinda soft, but everyone on Leicester has seemed kind of soft the last two years, so maybe it's a Brodg thing. Decent player, though. I don't know his contract situation, but I doubt he'd be that much cheaper than McTominay, if at all, even though they were relegated.

Lavia would be a fantastic signing for Palace along the Eze/Olise lines, but he'd be a great signing for anyone who was cool with him needing a year or two to really start to click, imo. He and Cheick Doucoure would give them a couple ballers in the center. I'd just not want to expect too much from him yet, he's 19 and was exposed a lot at Southampton this year -- which was not entirely his fault, but he's not a fix-all.

I like his potential a lot, but I don't think you want him with the expectation he is gonna be more than a promising piece next year. Think he needs to be in a relatively set midfield where he can grow into a spot, rather than be the man at this point. But you absolutely sign him if you can -- he also counts as homegrown.

Could also be totally wrong and it was just the Southampton squad and situation (coaching and table) that held him back and he's ready to explode.

Lavia is rumored to be on the (rather lengthy) list of Liverpool targets. Manu Kone and Khephren Thuram are being thrown around the most right now though. I'm no expert on it, but LFC are limited in how many foreign players they can buy based on the current squad make-up (unless there are further outgoings).
I think they definitely have to be mindful of it, but I think you buy who you want and then figure out the squad size and possible restrictions and then try to get creative if you need to shift things around. (I am also not an expert on it at all).

Kim Min-Jae seems like pretty much a done deal to Manchester United at this point. With his release clause being €60m I can't imagine this not happening since that price is an absolute steal for a top-5 in the world CB.

Napoli isn't selling Osimhen this year and there's rumors they've entered into negotiations for a new contract, so, at the very least, he's not going to be in England next year unless something wild happens.

Back