• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Totally Unofficial 2022/23 Premier League Thread

Kim Min-Jae seems like pretty much a done deal to Manchester United at this point. With his release clause being €60m I can't imagine this not happening since that price is an absolute steal for a top-5 in the world CB.

Napoli isn't selling Osimhen this year and there's rumors they've entered into negotiations for a new contract, so, at the very least, he's not going to be in England next year unless something wild happens.
Top 5 in the world?? High praise for a guy with one season in a top league. I've not seen him play much other than a couple times on Korea, but you think he's really that good?

I dunno, I just don't necessarily buy in to arguments that certain teams get all of the calls or aren't treated the same, certainly not in the long term.
Agree, there are bad stretches but over enough time it all normalizes.

Refs aren’t biased they’re just consistently bad

I mostly like to gripe about players who get away with a bunch of dirty shit

Top 5 in the world?? High praise for a guy with one season in a top league. I've not seen him play much other than a couple times on Korea, but you think he's really that good?
Among CBs, yes. The only other CBs I would rate higher than him without any question are Alaba, Dias, and Marquinhos.

You're right that he's only had one season in a top league, but he's kind of a unique story in that he made a misstep in going to China, before heading to Turkey and working into Serie A. If he had taken a transfer from Korea to a mid-table side in any of the top leagues back in 2019 I have no doubt he'd be featured at one of the huge clubs right now.

Among CBs, yes. The only other CBs I would rate higher than him without any question are Alaba, Dias, and Marquinhos.

You're right that he's only had one season in a top league, but he's kind of a unique story in that he made a misstep in going to China, before heading to Turkey and working into Serie A. If he had taken a transfer from Korea to a mid-table side in any of the top leagues back in 2019 I have no doubt he'd be featured at one of the huge clubs right now.
You clearly forgot about Tim Ream, but that's very interesting.

Eye test I agree with Frosty. Plays even bigger than he is, and looks a unit especially in space. Good passer too. But the numbers….maybe it’s a system thing but looking at per 90 stats he’s like a worse Koulibaly defensively. Good in the air but gets dribbled past a fair amount, doesn’t really record many blocks or interceptions, not a high tackle % for a CB.

Lavia would be a fantastic signing for Palace along the Eze/Olise lines, but he'd be a great signing for anyone who was cool with him needing a year or two to really start to click, imo. He and Cheick Doucoure would give them a couple ballers in the center. I'd just not want to expect too much from him yet, he's 19 and was exposed a lot at Southampton this year -- which was not entirely his fault, but he's not a fix-all.

I like his potential a lot, but I don't think you want him with the expectation he is gonna be more than a promising piece next year. Think he needs to be in a relatively set midfield where he can grow into a spot, rather than be the man at this point. But you absolutely sign him if you can -- he also counts as homegrown.

Could also be totally wrong and it was just the Southampton squad and situation (coaching and table) that held him back and he's ready to explode.
minor quibble... players under 21 dont need to be registered, but, to your point, he would count as HG in a couple seasons

Eye test I agree with Frosty. Plays even bigger than he is, and looks a unit especially in space. Good passer too. But the numbers….maybe it’s a system thing but looking at per 90 stats he’s like a worse Koulibaly defensively. Good in the air but gets dribbled past a fair amount, doesn’t really record many blocks or interceptions, not a high tackle % for a CB.
I don't know the numbers well offhand, but I can definitely see this being the case and I'd say it's at least partly a result of the system. Napoli play a very high line and aggressively press, so it's not strange to see the CBs pressing at midfield or even in their own attacking half. Spalletti's system places a huge emphasis on playing fast, aggressively pressing, and recovery defense, so for someone with Kim's skill set it's ok to get passed by since he can easily get back into position. This plays very well in Serie A because most sides play extremely tactical football compared to every other league so he is massively advantaged by his ability to play recovery d.

His passing and speed is what really distinguishes him imo. IIRC, he completed the most passes in Serie A this season and was top-10 in passing accuracy. I can't count the number of times Kim got the ball box-to-box in like 5 seconds this past year.

I like Kim and I think for sure he had a top 5 in the world Center Back year, but personally I need a guy to string together a few/couple more in a row. That might be just me, though.

Like, after this year I'm ready to proclaim John Stones #1.

60 mil still seems like an excellent deal and anyone should jump on it.

Yes, on form he's 100% one of the best CBs in the world right now. He was immense every single time I watched Napoli play this past season (about 10-15 matches)

Kim, Licha, and Varane would likely be the best trio of CBs in club football. Certainly in the top 3 or 4 along with Real and Barca, and of course Fulham with the aforementioned Tim Ream.

so stupid
do they think VAR is going well and they look good with how they've implemented it??!

If there's something to look forward to with Leeds in the championship, besides maybe winning a match, it's the absence of VAR.

??????
I saw this yesterday and just figured it must happen in matches I happened to not be watching, but I'm not so sure that is actually the case based on....

per FBRef.com here are the top defenders in terms of "Dribblers Tackled" across the top 5 European leagues this season:

1) Aaron Wan-Bissaka (Man United): 23/25 won (92%)
2) Kim Min-jae (Napoli): 25/29 won (86%)
3) Daniel Vivian (Athletic Club): 36/45 (80%)
4) Eder Militao (Real Madrid): 26/33 (79%)
5) Sven Botman (Newcastle): 22/28 (79%)

City being linked with Gvardiol of course. Just buying all the centerbacks who can do bits all over the place. Pep building a team of centerbacks. Gvardiol, Dias, Laporte (I guess he might move?), Ake, Akanji, and Stones would be ridiculous.

??????
I saw this yesterday and just figured it must happen in matches I happened to not be watching, but I'm not so sure that is actually the case based on....

per FBRef.com here are the top defenders in terms of "Dribblers Tackled" across the top 5 European leagues this season:

1) Aaron Wan-Bissaka (Man United): 23/25 won (92%)
2) Kim Min-jae (Napoli): 25/29 won (86%)
3) Daniel Vivian (Athletic Club): 36/45 (80%)
4) Eder Militao (Real Madrid): 26/33 (79%)
5) Sven Botman (Newcastle): 22/28 (79%)
what's the denominator. total dribblers defended or tackles attempted? That would make a difference in Townie's perception. If it's attempted, then you wouldn't attempt guys that got by you necessarily right?

aye, could just be two different sources looking at dribbling in different contexts

I don't know the answer to your question tho - got those numbers from a Manutd.com article praising AWB

Back