• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Totally Unofficial Summer Transfer Thread 2011 (NWT)

Young linked to a 14M pound move to United this week. (sigh)

Why? Is Nani going somewhere? Is he going to play that second striker/winger type role for United with them having Rooney that already plays in the slot a lot?

Not that I'm surprised he's not signing with Liverpool. No Europe = problems signing players. IMO they'll need to target players outside of roughly the top half of the major European leagues.

Why? Is Nani going somewhere? Is he going to play that second striker/winger type role for United with them having Rooney that already plays in the slot a lot?

Not that I'm surprised he's not signing with Liverpool. No Europe = problems signing players. IMO they'll need to target players outside of roughly the top half of the major European leagues.

Stew Downing...

Juan Mata...

I think Nani is on his way out of ManU. That is just me thinking though.

Ryan Giggs is 58 years old. That's why United want Young. He'll fit in well there.

To everyone's shock, I hereby declare Man City as my "English" club. I feel dirty for two reasons. First, anyone who really respects the game get's a little sick watching Wolves and Stoke play. Second, the media claim the club are out to destroy the world. But I expect Tevez to move along and yet I still want them to do well. So that tells me I've picked a team. But I will not refer to the team as "we" or "us" - at least I'll try not to. That just annoys me since I have nothing to do with a team's success or failure.

They are going to shed about 2,678 players from their payroll this summer including Adebayor, Bellamy, Weiss, Caicaedo, RSC, Given, Onuha, Bridge and probably SWP. Wouldn't be surprised if Viera called it quits as well. Boateng is being linked to Bayern. And we all know the Tevez thing will be one of the sagas of the summer. The other 2667 or so departures have yet to be determined.

The club naturally is linked to every living being in the known universe. They had a scout at my son's U6 game last week. He scored a goal when one of his shots hit a defender and then smashed back into his mouth and rebounded into the net. He told me it was a "mouther" not a "header". I told him they all count. He also managed to knock out the other team's goalie with a mean shot that would have gone in but for the fact the kid's face got in the way. Tears were flowing. My son apologized for kicking the ball in the air and City were so impressed with his ability to "head" the ball and his manners that he'll be signing on at 400K a month once the window opens. He doesn't always run very hard, but he can smack it. So for now he is either going to play in the back or as a classic poacher. Little does City know they will likely lose him to hockey.

Beyond Daniel they've already signed Denis Suarez from Celta Vigo (eat it Real Madrid!!), who is an 18 year old MF. They are linked to Gary Cahill (who I think is merely o.k.), Alexi Sanchez (who would be awesome but is wanted by Inter) and Jan Vertonghen (I'm sure I spelled that wrong) who I have never seen play but am led to believe by the ever reliable English media is a very versatile defender that can play across the backline or in the midfield. If Tevez leaves I'm sure they'll look to sign a new striker. And they should be looking for another creative type in the middle just because it all falls to Silva and Tevez today.

As things stand today I don't think they have the depth to compete on all fronts. So 2-3 signings are fundamentally required less they want to risk pulling a Spurs. The league next year is United's to lose. All the other usual suspects should be in for a dog fight to make the CL.

Just received this text from my friend that is a writer for Ives

Clint dempsey's wife got a modeling deal in paris...PSG for deuce?

Rumors really heating up that Ashley Young will be a United player in a couple weeks. Final details just need to be sorted.

Can't see Berba staying at the club. Didn't ride the team coach back to Manchester today. I wonder if he will be there tomorrow for the parade for #19? I sure hope so. Even if he leaves, he played a massive part in winning that trophy this season. So he deserves to celebrate it, hope he realizes that.

Harry Redknapp set to wrap up signing of Brad Friedel to replace Heurelho Gomes

Unless Liverpool were going to offer crazy wages to a backup GK, I agree that it made no sense. I love silly season.

Are there written stories on that are you just asking? I haven't seen him linked yet with yall...

Interesting. Gourcuff is insanely talented. I question his mentality to want to be among the best tho.

DeacMan,

Your post got me thinking about what club I really like and enjoy following, regardless of circumstance. Take Fulham, for example. I like them. A lot. But if Deuce left, would I still follow them? Probably not, even though I love their story. Everton? If Timmay left, would I still follow them? Again, probably not. That's what makes it difficult for someone like me who has always followed/enjoyed the EPL but doesn't have a real tie to any one team. I can't follow a team like Man City - too "mercenary" in approach. MUFC? No way. Chelsea? Annoying, and I hate John Terry. Liverpool? I actually like Dalglish, but Kuyt annoys me, as does Gerrard. I like Suarez, though, but can't bring myself to be a Pool supporter. Tottenham? Intriguing. Ultimately, though, I'm always drawn to Arsenal. Like that they're a London team, like their history, and love the way they play. They're fun to watch. I need to go to England one day and spend a month attending matches at the Emirates, White Hart Lane, Anfield, etc... Something tells me that I'd figure out quickly which club I like best.

You attend a match at the Emirates and I guarantee that doesn't make you an Arsenal supporter. Worse support in the PL. Shit fans. Unless you enjoy reading a novel uninterrupted for 90 mins...then maybe they are the side for you?

I also get a kick out of people not even considering supporting United because they are successful. So funny.

I also get a kick out of people not even considering supporting United because they are successful. So funny.

dv7,

I guess that was directed at me? OK, but it's not really because they're successful. I'm just not a big fan of SAF's (hate the bitching and constant brow beating of officials, etc...), nor of Rooney. As for Arsenal - you're probably right, which is why I feel like I have to go there to figure it out on my own. Watch...after going to Stamford Bridge next August, I'll become a Chelsea supporter. :thumbsup:

Back