• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Totally Unofficial Summer Transfer Thread 2011 (NWT)

I guarantee if Modric is sold it will be closer to 30 mil than 50. vad is the same guy that called Ledley King the best English CB ever... so, he kinda props up Spurs players too high.

The panda movie ad on the Guardian when using your phone is infuriating

I also get a kick out of people not even considering supporting United because they are successful. So funny.

ManUre fans = Yankees fans = Cowboys fans = Lakers fans = Dook fans

Don't want to be associated with any of these, if given the choice.

ETA: What I'm trying to say here is bandwagonboy and I wouldn't get along so well.

Last edited:
Wait What?

Craig Bellamy is the odds-on favorite to be Cardiff City's new manager. Yes, CRAIG BELLAMY. Anyone else struggle to see him as a manager?

Player-Manager? Don't you have to be kind of under control to do something like that?

ManUre fans = Yankees fans = Cowboys fans = Lakers fans = Dook fans

Don't want to be associated with any of these, if given the choice.

ETA: What I'm trying to say here is bandwagonboy and I wouldn't get along so well.

Yes, how magnanimous of you to support the club with the 3rd most league titles in English history. You are such a martyr.

Whoa I wouldn't dare take the martyr role on the soccer threads, that's your schtick. Where's Howard Webb?

The Friedel rumor made sense from the Liverpool side in that it was said they were offering a two year deal, rather than a one year one. I don't think he would have been on a lot of money, but can't blame him for wanting a clearer shot at the #1 spot.

I wouldn't trade Reina for anyone, but he needs some legit competition. Jones wasn't giving it to him and Gulacsi is too young/inexperienced. I guess they were hoping (if there was any truth to it) that Friedel would take the security and be closer to where he has a house, and they could loan Gulacsi out to get some first team experience.

But it does seem odd that if Gomes does go, Tottenham will have two keepers on one year deals 37 and over as their top two.

Closer to 50m for Modric? What is this world coming to? I'll be mad if/when we spend over 30 for Fabregas

Well, Fabregas is going for more than 30m, so prepare to be mad. I think people don't realize how bonkers the transfer market has gotten the past few years.

Brilliant player, but somewhat shaky mental makeup still and really plays at a languid pace. I think he'll flourish in Spain or at another Italian club, but I have no idea which PL team he'd fit into well.

Wait What?

Craig Bellamy is the odds-on favorite to be Cardiff City's new manager. Yes, CRAIG BELLAMY. Anyone else struggle to see him as a manager?

This is just utterly insane.

Wait What?

I was wondering what was up with that too

Didn't he forfeit his salary to play for them this year? That says a lot, but yeah, it would be a crazy choice.

Haven't heard too much about shenanigans with him lately, though. Seems like he has been on (relatively) good behavior in the past couple of years.

Well, Fabregas is going for more than 30m, so prepare to be mad. I think people don't realize how bonkers the transfer market has gotten the past few years.

I said if because it's not clear if that's the midfielder we're going to sign, when because if he were to be the guy it'd definitely be over 30. And I still find that ridiculous

Doesn't matter what you find ridiculous, it's what the market is these days. Darren Bent is a £24m striker in this world. There's absolutely no question that the Premier League as a whole, and Man City in particular have driven transfer prices through the roof the past couple of years.

Doesn't matter what you find ridiculous, it's what the market is these days. Darren Bent is a £24m striker in this world. There's absolutely no question that the Premier League as a whole, and Man City in particular have driven transfer prices through the roof the past couple of years.

My statement was clearly bemoaning the ridiculousness of the market, not stating what I think Modric will actually go for. I already fully knew what I find ridiculous doesn't matter. Thanks though

Good god, its not my fault you were wrong in thinking Modric will go for 45m or so.

I don't think Modric is going anywhere for any amount of money. He's made it quite clear (and more importantly, so has his agent) that he's happy at Tottenham and he just signed a huge long term deal. Given those circumstances, I can't see Spurs selling their best asset for under 40m, and even then it would be a disaster for the club.

Transfer fees have a lot more to do with the players attitude towards moving, his age and his current contract status than they do with how good they are. vdV went for 8m because he was unhappy at Madrid and wanted to move and they wanted to shed his contract. Oezil went for €15 because his contract was running out and he wanted to move. Unless you believe those guys are truly worth that little.

In a case of someone like Modric, he's on a very long term contract, young and irreplaceable for Spurs. Even if he staged a walk out on the club, it would be in Spurs best interest to wait it out for the best bid still. There's very little leverage, so any theoretical fee would have be insanely high.

Fans get ridiculously caught up in the transfer fee being some measure of how good a player is, instead of realizing it's almost entirely based on the business situation surrounding the player.

I don't think Modric is going anywhere for any amount of money. He's made it quite clear (and more importantly, so has his agent) that he's happy at Tottenham and he just signed a huge long term deal. Given those circumstances, I can't see Spurs selling their best asset for under 40m, and even then it would be a disaster for the club.

Transfer fees have a lot more to do with the players attitude towards moving, his age and his current contract status than they do with how good they are. vdV went for 8m because he was unhappy at Madrid and wanted to move and they wanted to shed his contract. Oezil went for €15 because his contract was running out and he wanted to move. Unless you believe those guys are truly worth that little.

In a case of someone like Modric, he's on a very long term contract, young and irreplaceable for Spurs. Even if he staged a walk out on the club, it would be in Spurs best interest to wait it out for the best bid still. There's very little leverage, so any theoretical fee would have be insanely high.

Fans get ridiculously caught up in the transfer fee being some measure of how good a player is, instead of realizing it's almost entirely based on the business situation surrounding the player.

"you must spread some reputation around before you give anymore to vadimivich"

Yeah, Spurs will have the leverage if he literally walked out of the club. Lol

Nothing you said changes that he will still be cheaper than 50 if he goes.

Back