• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tour de France 23 Thread

As I noted above in my comment about doping in cycling, riders can't depend anymore on getting away with doping and so they have to use more scientific approaches to training and racing. I don't understand all the science behind modern training methods but I get the main idea, which is that it all comes down to watts.

When the use of power meters became common a number of years ago, this article from Road Bike Action provided an understandable explanation of the importance of measuring and analyzing a rider's power output (watts) during training and racing.

The concept of watts helps explain the differences between powerful but taller and heavier riders like Van Aert and smaller and lighter riders like Vingegaard and Kuss. Pogacar seems to be a unicorn-he can "out power" a powerful guy like Van Aert and out-climb the lightweight climbers like Vingegaard. He reminds me of the past giants of the sport like Eddy Merckx and Bernard Hinault.

...A watt is simply a measurement of power, just as miles per hour is a measurement for speed. From a scientist’s point of view, power is how fast a cyclist produces work, and work is simply the force the legs can generate pushing the pedals, multiplied by the distance. The more work per time, the more powerful the force applied to accomplish that work, thus resulting in higher watts. The work, or energy, is measured in ‘joules,’ which are more commonly known as ‘calories’ in the U.S. One joule is equal to the amount of energy required to produce one watt for one second. Power meters measure in ‘kilojoules,’ and one kj is equal to 4.184 Calories. How does all of that relate to cycling? Well, from a rider’s point of view, power how well one can push the pedals. Allen Lim says, ‘Power is a measurement of intensity. Just like a thermometer inserted into a turkey that is cooking in your oven, the power meter can be used like a thermometer to measure the intensity of your riding experience.’

To measure wattage, a power meter measures two things: torque and cadence. To achieve a higher wattage, you must either increase your cadence in a given gear, or keep your cadence the same and shift to a higher gear; either one will have you putting out more watts, thus increasing speed. Simply shifting into a higher gear and slowing the cadence will increase your torque, but not necessarily your watts. Since everyone’s physiology and riding styles differ, there’s not a specific cadence that is the most efficient for everyone.

POWER AND WEIGHT
To better understand power hierarchy, a rider’s ability is measured in watts per kilograms (1 kilogram equals 2.2 pounds). Climbers such as Alberto Contador churn out many watts per kilogram, and very efficiently. The less bodyweight, the faster a rider will go-at a given power. Contador climbs with much less power than Mark Cavendish produces in a sprint, but Contador sustains those watts for longer distances, while Cavendish does it for just over 400 meters. As a rule, bigger riders can usually produce higher watts than smaller riders. But the benefit of having more power, which is best evidenced on the flats, tends to disappear as the road goes up. When it comes to the climbs, the biggest equalizer among all riders is their power to- weight ratio. Wind resistance aside, if a 150-pound cyclist rides uphill at 300 watts, a 180-pound rider would have to ride at 360 watts just to maintain the same speed; that’s a 20 percent increase in wattage. How much power a cyclist can produce is directly related to the amount of oxygen that can be supplied to the muscles.

In turn, this supply of oxygen is by the amount of blood the heart pumps with each beat, as well as how well the muscle cells are able to extract the oxygen. Taller riders, like George Hincapie, may have a natural advantage in sports like cycling; this is because they can ‘lay down’ more watts over flat roads than lighter riders. Their advantages, such as better torque angle, more muscle mass, larger hearts that pump more oxygenated blood to muscles, more mitochondria to produce the energy to drive the muscles, all lead to the production of more watts. However, when the road goes up, there is a point when a larger rider must produce additional watts solely to overcome the effects of gravity. Nothing is absolute, and there are always exceptions, but most cyclists follow this pattern...

You gotta respect and cheer for a guy who says, "Screw y'all, I'm doing this alone."

I wonder if Cavendish doesn't get that last win, they "let" him win on the last day in Paris. Since its basically a ride along until the last 2 laps.

I wonder if Cavendish doesn't get that last win, they "let" him win on the last day in Paris. Since its basically a ride along until the last 2 laps.
That would never happen. The other riders respect Cavendish a lot but the final sprint stage in Paris is a highly sought after prize for all the sprinters--not something to give away for any reason.

The only time that one rider lets someone win is when two of them (usually from the same team) ride together in a breakaway to take the top two places in a race. Then the star rider will sometimes give the race win to a teammate who helped him during that race and other races. An example is when Van Aert allowed his teammate Christophe Laporte to win this year's Gent Wevelgem Classic.

laporte.jpg

You gotta respect and cheer for a guy who says, "Screw y'all, I'm doing this alone."
Pogacar and Van Aert are the kind of riders who can do that and when they take off to win a stage solo, it does look like they are doing it alone. But even when it's not obvious, they always have had some kind of help from their teammates during the race-sheltering them from the wind, pacing them, fetching bottles from the team car, being ready to give up their bikes in an emergency. It's an individual sport and individuals are the stars but the teamwork is always happening even when it's not obvious.

Even today when it looked liked Cavendish had been all on his own without a true lead-out man in the bunch sprint, he gave credit to teammate Cees Bol after the finish for helping him to get in position to launch his sprint.

Last edited:
I was talking about the guy who was leading the breakaway even after the rest dropped back. Don’t remember who it was.

I was talking about the guy who was leading the breakaway even after the rest dropped back. Don’t remember who it was.
There’s always a chance…that there’s a chance…so you may as well stick it out until the bitter end.

Yeah, it's a shame for Cavendish to end his career this way but at least he bows out knowing that he is still capable of winning a sprint. I thought he had done it yesterday until Philipsen flew past him when Cavendish had a problem with shifting gears. Given that TDF riders have the best bikes and mechanics to take care of them, it's surprising when a top rider has such a problem. I imagine that a sprinter like Cavendish pedals with such force in a sprint that he can cause a problem in a bike's drivetrain.

Yeah, it's a shame for Cavendish to end his career this way but at least he bows out knowing that he is still capable of winning a sprint. I thought he had done it yesterday until Philipsen flew past him when Cavendish had a problem with shifting gears. Given that TDF riders have the best bikes and mechanics to take care of them, it's surprising when a top rider has such a problem. I imagine that a sprinter like Cavendish pedals with such force in a sprint that he can cause a problem in a bike's drivetrain.

For those recreational cyclists like me that track watts because...we can...it's just absurd to think Cav is around 1500w during those sprints.

Sweet finish, Wout had the perfect lead out but Pedersen acceleration was so fast and so well timed, some absurd power there at the end of a 200km stage

Looks like Yates and Landa got up from that crash? Not sure who was in the ditch.

The Limoges train station looks badass.
Yes indeed.

"In 2008, Jean-Pierre Jeunet chose Limoges station to shoot the commercial for Chanel N°5 perfume: “Train de nuit”, starring French actress Audrey Tautou."

limoges-chanel.jpg

Attachments

• 1280x560_gare_limoges_benedictins.jpg
    1280x560_gare_limoges_benedictins.jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Idiot spectator takes out Calmejean

Back