• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Triad restaurant comings, goings and recs

are their expensive specials not good?

I mean, I was between a 'house-plate' with a 12 oz NY Strip (with sides) and a 22 oz bone-in ribeye.

One was $32 (and, listed on the menu). The other was $128.

I had to ask for the price of the special twice. That's the catch of the place, I think.

It preys on corporate customers, which I'm OK with.

We did 600 degrees once and I probably won't be back for a while. If we do go back I guess the strategy is probably to stick with the regular fish/meat (read: Steak) options.

We did two apps (Chowder Fries and Burnt Ends) that were decent but a little muddled and felt more like upscale bar food than anything.

Coal Roasted Carrots small plate was awful for a $15 small plate.

I got the Short Ribs and it was probably the worst Short Ribs I've had. Just super overcooked and dry. Miso Mash didn't add much to compensate flavor or moisture wise (also kind of dry).

IDK if the chef was having an off-night or what. I've had significantly better meals at Village Tavern for half the cost.

Also got placed at an awkward table right on top of other couples despite having a res and I think they were trying to do swarm style service but it wasn't great in terms of responsiveness.

Any suggestions in Winston for a place to grab dinner next Saturday? We are going out to the mountains to visit my grandfather who isn’t doing well and want to stop somewhere on the way home to break up the drive a little. Doesn’t need to be super upscale and not looking for a place that will take 2 hours since we’ll still have a bit of the drive left once we’re done. Thanks!

Any suggestions in Winston for a place to grab dinner next Saturday? We are going out to the mountains to visit my grandfather who isn’t doing well and want to stop somewhere on the way home to break up the drive a little. Doesn’t need to be super upscale and not looking for a place that will take 2 hours since we’ll still have a bit of the drive left once we’re done. Thanks!

Mozelle's is still bussin' and would fit that nice-but-not-crazy-upscale description if you can get a rez a week out.

For something more divey and/or new, Heff's Burgers recently opened downtown and does a great smashburger (and loaded fries, and they may have a chicken sandwich on the menu)

Reactions: WRS
Mozelle's is still bussin' and would fit that nice-but-not-crazy-upscale description if you can get a rez a week out.

For something more divey and/or new, Heff's Burgers recently opened downtown and does a great smashburger (and loaded fries, and they may have a chicken sandwich on the menu)
I’ll give both of those a look — thanks!

I’d probably hit Milners or Village Tavern. Both would be close to I40.

Now that Hops is closed, where's a good burger in Winston? Anyone better than Cin Cin?

Also iirc they have cheerwine in glass bottles so I just get that :thatsright:

We went to one of our longtime favorite restaurants tonight - Freeman’s Grub and Pub in Greensboro.

They were recently listed at #75 on Yelp’s top 100 in America. It’s now crowded at all times. We got there at 5:30 and there was an hour wait.

Still very good. Just not a secret anymore.

Haven’t seen it mentioned recently but the pimento cheese burger at Campus Gas is probably my favorite burger in Winston Salem

We went to one of our longtime favorite restaurants tonight - Freeman’s Grub and Pub in Greensboro.

They were recently listed at #75 on Yelp’s top 100 in America. It’s now crowded at all times. We got there at 5:30 and there was an hour wait.

Still very good. Just not a secret anymore.

We went for brunch recently and they had a fried bologna sandwich which was pure mouth sex. I love that place.

Tried out Hawgfish BBQ Seafood Shack last night on Stratford Rd in Clemmons. The owner also owns the BreakfastTime chain. The Mrs. had smoked brisket and smoked turkey. I had the seafood platter.

The food was good, prices were reasonable, and the amount of food was astounding. We both took home to go boxes with easily another meal inside.

Back