• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Triad restaurant comings, goings and recs

Hoots beer was never bad. It just wasn’t great and other breweries opened that were better.

Hoots was good for grabbing a beer while you wait on your table at Porch.

Hoots beer was never bad. It just wasn’t great and other breweries opened that were better.

Hoots was good for grabbing a beer while you wait on your table at Porch.
Yeah the problem with Hoots was/is their competition. Fiddlin Fish, Incendiary, Wiseman and Foothills all have multiple IPAs better than the Hoots Gas Hopper.

Yeah hoots got run out by the bigger breweries. Honestly forgot about it, used to only go when waiting on the porch also. The bar they tried downtown stunk too, that space is never anything good.

Spaghetti Park in Clemmons opened last week. Take out only. I'm no Italian food aficionado but what I had was good and a lot of other people seem to really like it.

Lol I think the porch/location was the only reason they survived that long tbh... I've had some decent beers there (note: that seems to be the ceiling), but also some real misses too.
The Mill or whatever that location is sucks. Bad parking, hard to get in and out of, not the easiest to walk to, even from West End. Anyone who has ever spent time in Winston and wants some craft beer is gonna park downtown and hop to the better ones.

The porch doesn't hit like it used to either just kind of fell off I think.

The Mill or whatever that location is sucks. Bad parking, hard to get in and out of, not the easiest to walk to, even from West End. Anyone who has ever spent time in Winston and wants some craft beer is gonna park downtown and hop to the better ones.

The porch doesn't hit like it used to either just kind of fell off I think.
The Porch is still very good. Downtown is where the center of gravity is though.

I’ll buck the trend, I really like Hoots, still go there a decent amount, and enjoyed their trade st. space although they could never figure out what to do with it.

The smaller intimate vibe I enjoy and there’s normally some weird shit happening to keep you entertained.

While I didn't think that they had the best beer in town anytime I was there it never was in my head "geez I wish I was drinking x instead" and I guess my main frustration is that it was basically the only unique brewery in town. Each of the others basically gives off the exact same vibe, which is cool and I love Fiddlin’ specifically, but Hoots felt different.

I'm not 100% sure if they'll do better as a standalone bar/music venue than a brewery. The points on the location are fair, but if I had to guess West End as a whole will be more connected in ~5 years with some work done by Canal Street connecting the two sides and making it flow easier.

Also, The Porch and frankly all of Claire’s restaurants are the definition of mid.

I stopped by Guglhupf last week in Durham. Not sure if it's been mentioned here before, but that was some of the best German food I've had before in NC.

Back