• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tuition Forgiveness

Straw men are fun, but face facts - your understanding or expectation of the true cost of a college education is based on 1. Your arbitrary personal valuation of its worth and 2. An expected institutional cost subsidization that simply isn’t happening anymore. You want the government to subsidize the institution directly, like they used to for previous generations, so the cost to the consumer is lower, but that subsidization isn’t happening anymore, so you complain about the real cost and blame Inflating costs on “unnecessary administration” or needless amenities, all the while the actual reason is that federal and state governments have stopped directly subsidizing the college system, and have shifted the real cost of a college education to the consumers -students now taking on the full cost themselves with financial aid and student loans.

But there were not government subsidies of private colleges, right? Is the argument that the rising cost of public colleges allowed private schools to also raise their tuition?

Rising income inequality contributes to the rise in tuition as well. It’s stretched the upper limit of what parents can and will pay.

I don’t really get the hand wringing over this but people are totally fine with child tax credits and mortgage interest deductions and all sorts of other tax schemes that encourage or discourage certain behavior.

But there were not government subsidies of private colleges, right? Is the argument that the rising cost of public colleges allowed private schools to also raise their tuition?

I have no data to support this, but logic would also suggest that the easy availability of tuition and living expenses loans for students, enabled colleges and universities to keep raising costs. Like with the housing crises in 2008, easy mortgages allowed people to keep paying higher and higher prices for houses that were way over priced because the money was easy to come by.

I don’t really get the hand wringing over this but people are totally fine with child tax credits and mortgage interest deductions and all sorts of other tax schemes that encourage or discourage certain behavior.

Republicans may be up in arms over it but I don't think it's going to hurt Biden or the Democrats in November, and may well help. And the GOP is getting lit up on social media as various Republicans and conservative talking heads on talk radio and groups like PragerU criticizing this are being exposed and called out for getting tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars of PPP loans forgiven or college loans forgiven. Not that their base will care of course, but in a general election it's not a good look for Republicans.

fair enough hatchet buried.

giphy.gif

I swear right wing media has daily meetings to coordinate their talking points on social media.

I swear right wing media has daily meetings to coordinate their talking points on social media.

No question. It's been that way since they started on AM radio. If we know they're going to be shitty, Democrats can plan for it and use their shittiness against them. Redirect their energy against them.

No question. It's been that way since they started on AM radio. If we know they're going to be shitty, Democrats can plan for it and use their shittiness against them. Redirect their energy against them.

The White House twitter account was fucking great yesterday.

Yeah. I'm thinking it was a planned roll out. This could be the start of a strong campaign message against the House GOP. They vote for free money for themselves but they don't want to do anything to help you.

totally kicking ass on messaging.

the right pulling the "white house are a bunch of meanies" whine because apparently everybody who took PPP loans made no revenue during the 2020 including media companies that the shutdown shouldn't have affected at all.

I work in business support services. our revenues weren't affected and the neither was the bottom line of our clients.

My favorite take is "The White House account shouldn't be such meanies". I guess these people never Twittered in the years 2017-2020, inclusive.

The handwringing on this is because it is after the fact in a one-point-in-time snapshot and bailing people out from the easily anticipated effects of what in many cases were stupid decisions. It does nothing to address the underlying issue and is just buying votes in a last-ditch effort to get some people to like him.

If, instead, Biden had proposed a perpetual dollar-for-dollar tax credit of up to $10,000 per year per student with a 10-year carryforward for education expenses applicable to either the student or the funding parent, I think pretty much everyone would be for it on both sides. And/or make 529 contributions deductible or creditable.

The handwringing on this is because it is after the fact in a one-point-in-time snapshot and bailing people out from the easily anticipated effects of what in many cases were stupid decisions. It does nothing to address the underlying issue and is just buying votes in a last-ditch effort to get some people to like him.

If, instead, Biden had proposed a perpetual dollar-for-dollar tax credit of up to $10,000 per year per student with a 10-year carryforward for education expenses applicable to either the student or the funding parent, I think pretty much everyone would be for it on both sides. And/or make 529 contributions deductible or creditable.

not sure if you've been paying attention, but the Biden Administration has been kinda killing it lately in a lot of policy domains

i'm also seeing next to no serious criticism of the debt cancellation. it's all half baked concern trolling from donks like you.

mid-term turnout should be solid

Find you a man that loves you as much as conservatives love tax credits

Googled "PPP loans" and the top stories are all about the White House calling out Republicans who oppose student loan forgiveness after getting their loans forgiven.

Effective messaging! From Dems!

Back