• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tyler Cavanaugh Commits to Wake

Can Moto hit 3s? can he play SG?

Trent had great physical abilities, but give me Travis every time.

Trent couldn't hit threes at first, either, but he figured it out.

So, if we get Moto, then is the 2013 scholarship be reserved for either Anton Gill or Greg McClinton?

Both

I expect we'll have at least two for 13 when it comes to it.

I would be surprised if both TC and AF return with CMM on the way. That is just the way it works.

I would be surprised if both TC and AF return with CMM on the way. That is just the way it works.

Or, TC will realize that CMM is a freshman and may have developed a spot in the rotation at that point.

I agree with you about Fields, but I'm holding out some hope for TC. In addition, I think CMM will get minutes at SG, too, like Justin Gray.

Do we recruit Moto and fill six scholarships? Moto fills a need. He's more athletic than Travis and can be the kind of slash and shoot presence we haven't had since that half-season of Trent Strickland double-double dominance...

I don't think there is any doubt here; if Moto wants to commit, we take him.

My concern is that Moto is not going to want to join a 6-man class that already has 2-3 forwards (Thomas, Cavanaugh, Rountree).

Guys, there is NOTHING positive to gain by talking about who may transfer and may not. It does no good and can get back to the players.

We should stop this now.

Deacfreke2, I think you misquoted me. Please go back and correct it.

Also, I don't think I have had the pleasure of meeting you so not sure how can judge me as a person.

Don't get mad at me for stating facts:

1. This is the first time that Jeff [Redacted] has beaten another school head to head for a recruit. Previously we have taken the offer early, hope they blow up approach that Jim Grobe employs. One day he may even beat an ACC school head to head for a recruit.2. Buzz is a terrible coach. Please find me something in his resume that disproves this statement.
3. Wake Forest is a GREAT school. Thus, Tyler should love it.

Syracuse is in the ACC now.

Gosh, I hope we don't have to play the cuse this season. They have 13 big time players on their roster. Talk about depth.

Multiple preseason ratings have 'Cuse in the Top 5. We beat a Top 5 team for a local player to them whom they wanted.

I like his statements. hopefilly hell bulk up and give us a lot of versatility.

Guys, there is NOTHING positive to gain by talking about who may transfer and may not. It does no good and can get back to the players.

We should stop this now.

It is a legitimate question, though, RJ. Here are some things for us to chew on:

CJ is a natural shooting guard and a decent combo-guard, at best.

TC and CMM are natural combo-guards who can play PG.

AR is a point-forward hybrid, capable of playing PG to PF.

AF will likely be the only pure point on the roster.

So, who plays PG? Since we're going to run CJ, TC, and Fields this year, I think we'll have a pretty good idea of who can do what by the end of the season.

Does one of them transfer or does CJ simply take his rightful place as the team's starting SG or 6th man as a senior.

There will be plenty of minutes between point guard and shooting guard positions. Seeing as CJ, TC, and CMM can all play some shooting guard and we're still a relatively small team where it counts (big men are inexperienced), I see tons of room in the rotation, at least during CJ's senior year.

As 2013-2014 would be the year that the class of 2013 would enter campus, the roster would look like this:

PG: TC (SR)/CMM (SO)/Fields (JR)
SG: Chase (JR)/Rountree (SO)
SF: McKie (SR)/Moto? (SO)

Still, plenty of room.

Let's not forget that we reached a bit for Fields, who's other offers included Penn State, Rice, Seton Hall, and UTEP. Meaning: he must know what he's getting into and must be okay with that. Why else would we sign him in this time of culture change?

Can anybody speak to this?

ALSO:

We're looking at Major Canady in 2013, too, right?

Last edited:
One more question. Can anybody give us a decent scouting report of Fields or link to one?

ESPN makes him sound like the second coming of Ish Smith, but they have a tendency to exaggerate about most prospects.

Your years are off, McKie & Co would be juniors.

I dislike bzz as much as the next guy but he does seem to be getting a pretty solid class together.

I think all the experience CJ is getting by running the point is going to pay off big. His improved handle will help him create his own perimeter shots (as long as his stroke is still there), and the added strength will give him the versatility to drive and score at the hoop. He needs to put the team on his back this year.

welcome tyler! youve made a great decision not only for your basketball career but for your life and education!

One more question. Can anybody give us a decent scouting report of Fields or link to one?

ESPN makes him sound like the second coming of Ish Smith, but they have a tendency to exaggerate about most prospects.

In short, he's a true pass first point guard.

I've seen him play a few times, the majority of which were during his junior year of high school. His handle is pretty good, probably better than Chenault's (although he's probably going to be quite rusty after missing the last ~6 months with a wrist injury). Good passer. Quick. Not big or strong, even among point guards. Not a good shooter, and not a strong enough slasher to score at all at the ACC level. I pegged him as a CAA/SoCon level player originally.

Overall I'd say he's closer to Aaron Ingle than Ish Smith.

Back