• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

UNC at Wake, Friday 9/13

I seem to recall that we have lined up a TE as a FB. No reason we can't do it again... especially if what were continuing to do hadn't been successful. This absolutely NEEDS fixed!!

Regarding the 2nd half, I'm more concerned about the offense's execution more than the play calling. The whole 2nd half, there was no sense of urgency by the players. They were kinda just going through the motions and biding their time. That also needs fixed! On the plus side, when we needed a time draining scoring drive, we were able to turn it back on. Very happy about that!!

Bingo

I seem to recall that we have lined up a TE as a FB. No reason we can't do it again... especially if what were continuing to do hadn't been successful. This absolutely NEEDS fixed!!

Regarding the 2nd half, I'm more concerned about the offense's execution more than the play calling. The whole 2nd half, there was no sense of urgency by the players. They were kinda just going through the motions and biding their time. That also needs fixed! On the plus side, when we needed a time draining scoring drive, we were able to turn it back on. Very happy about that!!

No Hinton or Carney will provide fewer options for offense. I think quick plays to carney is short yardage will be the answer. Although not successful against Utah State I think Carney will prove to be successful as the year progresses

No Hinton or Carney will provide fewer options for offense. I think quick plays to carney is short yardage will be the answer. Although not successful against Utah State I think Carney will prove to be successful as the year progresses

With Newman’s power, I’d like us to forgo the read and have the RB go straight downhill as the lead back and have Hinton punch it in.

In fairness, Yankee here. I never left a game at the hand and I knew plenty of southern socialites who did.

Yankee here too. If we’re going to go down the stereotype route, I’d wager the southern douchebags that wear blazers and bow ties to football games are most likely to be shitfans that leave at half time.

Cade is well rested and going to run angry. I expect him and Sage to have big nights. We really need Washington to be a force, especially in the redzone. And of course a healthy Hinton will be key.

Fortunately we did not need Cade or Scotty yesterday

Very much so. No quick hits to Claude either on slants or outs like against usu. and Roberson no show again shows he has yet to show himself as a reliable WR. Still don’t understand why we didn’t challenge Roberson’s end zone catch, just baffling. If Hinton isn’t back soon it’s time to bring Greene or groulx in as need another threat at slot.
Baffling? He clearly stepped on the line and was out. Missed by inches but clearly missed.

I may have missed it, and I saw one comment about it, but the thing that drove me to distraction was snapping the ball twice in a row with 20 seconds left on the play clock when we should have been milking the clock. The players were on the field. Mack wasn't going to put in new guys. We came out OK, but the game would have been over without any drama if we had just waited until there was little time left on the clock to snap the ball on those two plays.

Anyway, go Deacs. This team can be special. The competition, aside from Clemson, is not great, so we will have a chance, and a good chance, in every game but that one. Especially if Carney comes back.

Yeah but to me, conservative playcalling sets that tone to the players. When the coach’s are giving the conservative, let’s run some clock vibe with their playcalling it basically has the effect of causing the players to let up too. Our goal at the start of the 2nd half should’ve been to get up 4 touchdowns, the 5 and then run out the 4th quarter. I really blame the coaches for how flat we were on offense in the 2nd half. Our defense played lights out last night, but we DO NOT have a defense that’s going to shut down an average FBS level team for 4 quarters and a 3 touchdown lead is not safe for us until until less than that 10 to go in the game against any kind of FBS level offense. We’ve got to stay aggressive on our playcalling. I love Clawson, complete man-crush, but we’ve got to stop going into a shell when we get a decent lead. The Duke game last year was beautiful, we got them down and kept putting them down.

We really should have scored 49 against Rice. The officials robbed us twice. Scotty didn't run a pick play and Claude was tackled before the ball was tipped.

You may have missed that coaches have since spoken with Scotty and he knows why what he did is a penalty- you have to run your route instead of block the guy - he won’t make that mistake again

If Carney can stay healthy. I love Cade and I hate it for him but I think the label “injury prone” fits. I’m not sure it’s wise to develop an offensive scheme/identity that assumes he’s available.

I may have missed it, and I saw one comment about it, but the thing that drove me to distraction was snapping the ball twice in a row with 20 seconds left on the play clock when we should have been milking the clock. The players were on the field. Mack wasn't going to put in new guys. We came out OK, but the game would have been over without any drama if we had just waited until there was little time left on the clock to snap the ball on those two plays.

Anyway, go Deacs. This team can be special. The competition, aside from Clemson, is not great, so we will have a chance, and a good chance, in every game but that one. Especially if Carney comes back.

I can explain it. Clawson varies the tempo significantly during the course of a game. In that situation he thought running the clock down would help us with the clock but lessen the chance of a first down. We desperately needed first downs because then you have three more plays to run the clock down more. In Clawson’s mind sometimes going fast either makes it harder for defense to adjust and to look at the sideline to get the defensive play call or less time to rest or whatever it might be but Clawson believes that in some situations we have a better chance to get the first down or gain good yardage by going fast. He will say that we can’t understand it but that it’s something he can sense by years of experience and scouting the other team and so on.

Anyway it’s clear that you couldn’t understand this and asked a couple times so glad you are able to know the reason now.

Unfortunately it didn’t work ... so when he does it again when it doesn’t work you can go back and read the reasoning here again in case you forget.

Running the clock

That may be Clawson's reasoning ... but last night he was completely wrong about it. Should have done the old get set, then everyone stand up and look at the sideline again at 6 more times in the 4th quarter. It almost cost us the game. He doesn't have to snap the ball at 1 second ... maybe at 5 or 6 seconds. But 29 seconds is inexcusable.

So we are 3-0 with Elon next. Assuming nobody gets hurt in practice, we should have Hinton, Tyler Williams, and Carney back for BC. Our DL has been great, but Tyler Williams is going to really improve that bunch.

I thought Caroline decided to take away the short passing game over the middle, which was interesting. They essentially left the wideouts in 1-on-1 coverage as Rice did, and their DBs played a bit better and Newman was less accurate. Sage's parent's interview was the best parent interview I have seen. Comparing it to Jalen Hurt's dad interviewed at the opening game for OU which was excrutiatingly boring.

Want to point out that obviously Strnad had an amazing game, but you know who else played fantastic besides Boogie? JaSir Taylor. And Amari Henderson. Also Bothroyd and Kamara played great as well.

It took UNC too long to figure out that they needed to run wide receivers on slants across zones. They played to our defensive strength with a frosh qb for like 10 series before they figured it out. I had hoped going into this game that Mack was so old and old school that his coordinators are more inspirational leaders than elite play callers and I think I was right. Not that our play calling on offense was great at all. I thought from the first whistle we determined that this was a game we would play not to lose on offense. In other words, we were cocky. No turnovers and we win. In the 2nd quarter, it looked like a good decision, but I hope we open it up from here on out. Yes, Surrat and Washington on deep go routes are super dangerous, but we are an elite offensive team when we go fast, mix our calls, throw short - and now, we've even added a pretty dynamic running back screen. We don't need to go conservative or slow for anyone save maybe Clemson if we need to rest our Defense and keep that game close enough to stay in the top 15. If we can beat BC on the road, I think that is where we are headed - top 15 team. Once you get there, only you can get yourself out. In other words, if we lose to Clemson 38-24, we only drop 5 or 6 spots and can work ourselves back up by winning the games we are supposed to win.

We need to punch Elon in the mouth next week in the first 1 1/2 quarters so that our 2nd/3rd string can play the bulk of the game and hopefully go into the BC game healthy. Then, two weeks to prepare for Louisville who will play BC the week after we do ...

Last edited:
Missing Hinton was huge. Clawson has stated multiple times that our offense runs through the slot. It still does. It makes the quick pass possible and forces the safeties up against the line. We don’t have an adequate Hinton replacement.

I get that we are not an I team. However, surely we can do more than just run the super slow read option on every short yardage situation. Bring a TE in motion and snap it when he is between the tackle and guard so he can be a lead blocker, and then either hand the ball off to the RB immediately or just have Newman follow the TE. Our read option run attack seems to either yield no gain or 10 yards. When we need to gain one yard, we need to do the thing that gives the best chance to gain one and a half yards.

Glad to know we can beat a good team without Cade Scotty or Hinton

Always great to beat the Tarheels no matter what. But don't be fooled by this win. North Carolina is not a good team. We won't know for sure if we're pretty good for 3-4 more weeks.

Back