• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Urban Meyer Credibility Watch (NWT)

For purposes of this Section 4.1 (e), a "known violation" shall mean a violation or allegation of a violation of Title IX that Coach is aware of or has reasonable cause is taking place or may have taken place.

Either "aware of" OR "has reasonable cause is taking place or may HAVE taken place." That's pretty broadly written, and seems retroactive to me. Almost like someone may have known this might come up one day.

i got a semi-nutty conspiracy theory: tOSU administration is setting up meyer to take the fall. i agree that he is complicit but the meeting between defries/earl bruce and courtney i think was made on behalf of the university and not meyer. zach smith is the grandson of legendary earl bruce. meyer (or anyone at tOSU) would have alerted the administration of the domestic violence. someone high up arranged that meeting to silence her. all of the focus is on meyer and thats what tOSU wants: he gets canned and it looks like the problem is"solved"

Didn’t know Smith was Bruce’s grandson.

defries seems to be an odd character.he met meyer when meyer was an assistant at colorado state and hiram was there as a former player. defries has been an unpaid volunteer at utah, florida and ohio state. not technically on the staff but still affiliated with the team.

Urban Meyer was aware of felonies being committed by those under him and did nothing about it? Wow, I never would have seen that one coming. I guess I should expect that goddamn sun to come up again tomorrow too.

Odds that Meyer is the head coach at Louisville within 5 years?

Urban Meyer was aware of felonies being committed by those under him and did nothing about it? Wow, I never would have seen that one coming. I guess I should expect that goddamn sun to come up again tomorrow too.

Police/court system: no charges, not felonies.
General public: felonies.

How can educated people blame Urban Meyer over the police and legal system in this case? I don't get it, other than he's by far the most public figure involved.. Did he have some responsibility as a leader & human being to take action? Absolutely (assuming his wife told him). But it's the police & DA's job to make arrests, file restraining orders, file charges, and prosecute the incidents to makes sure the abuse doesn't happen again. Still eager to hear their side of things.

If you don't think Meyer has excellent contacts in Columbus area police departments, you'd be wrong. If he didn't know about Smith's events, it's because Meyer didn't want to or willfully ignored them.

Ohio State is likely the biggest employer in Columbus. Football is a huge moneymaker. They are protected.

Tigerswood, do the pictures of Mrs. Smith's bruises not present evidence to you?

Police/court system: no charges, not felonies.
General public: felonies.

How can educated people blame Urban Meyer over the police and legal system in this case? I don't get it, other than he's by far the most public figure involved.. Did he have some responsibility as a leader & human being to take action? Absolutely (assuming his wife told him). But it's the police & DA's job to make arrests, file restraining orders, file charges, and prosecute the incidents to makes sure the abuse doesn't happen again. Still eager to hear their side of things.

I don't think that matters in this case. People get fired all the by companies for breaking rules and policies that are not actually illegal. Based on what's happening now in broader society, this appears to be more of a morals/ethics issue than a legal one.

If you don't think Meyer has excellent contacts in Columbus area police departments, you'd be wrong. If he didn't know about Smith's events, it's because Meyer didn't want to or willfully ignored them.

Ohio State is likely the biggest employer in Columbus. Football is a huge moneymaker. They are protected.

Tigerswood, do the pictures of Mrs. Smith's bruises not present evidence to you?

It's certainly possible that Zach Smith's status as part of the OSU program helped prevent action by the police/DA. Big time college football everywhere is a corrupt business (see Tallahassee). I don't think they'd have risked their careers to cover it up/ignore it on that many occasions, though. Also, it's interesting that Courtney SMith does not seem to be putting any blame on them whatsoever - seems like she should.

The pictures disturb me and are certainly evidence. There is message board fodder from people "close to the situation" (including someone who claims to be Mrs. Smith's cousin) that the pictures are from 2010. I certainly believe the victim over message board posters, and imagine in this day and age it should be pretty easy to validate a time stamp from when they were taken. Either way they're disgusting abd Zach Smith deserved/deserves to be punished for them.

She is the poster child for being powerless in this situation. If she went public, she'd be a pariah. People will attack her mercilessly for bringing down Urban Meyer if that happens.

If those pics are from 2010, it's even worse. That would be a minimum of three documented events.

The lengths you are going to protect this pig and his long-time enabler are disgusting.

Ohio State runs Columbus. It is indeed the biggest employer there. Everyone is connected to it. Football is God and Meyer is King God. Do not for a second doubt that Columbus police would not act on stuff because it would threaten OSU football.

Whatever, dude. I can do nothing to protect anyone in this situation and neither can you, oh worthy internet justice warrior. Unfortunately, it happened.

Once again, if it is proven that domestic violence happened in 2015 and Urban Meyer knew and did nothing, then he should resign or be fired. Unless I'm missing something, neither of those have been proven at this point.

I hope Urban Meyer goes down and goes down hard. He's a self-serving prick who uses his Christian faith as a recruiting tool and for self promotion but he is about as Christian as Trump.

Anybody remember the 5star o lineman who wanted to transfer to Wake and Meyer wouldn't let him because he needed o-line depth? I think it was James Wilson. That poor kid was miserable at Florida for years and Meyer wouldn't let him walk. In the meantime, Hernandez shot someone in the face and that didn't result in any suspension either.

He's a miserable human and I have no doubt he knew his coach smacked around his wife.

In both this case and the Baylor case, I'm struck by how the local PD apparently did nothing. So either there is incompetence on the PD, there was nothing there, or there was an "agreement" between the biggest employers of the city and their local PDs. I am more inclined to believe the first two than the last, but that doesn't mean the last part isn't possible. Ultimately, with Baylor being a private institution, we will probably never really know what was really going on there, but I have no doubt that Briles, Starr, etc, had a degree of culpability that was far less than the university was willing to admit. But they fired the figureheads to fix their image problem and get the story off the front page. Boom, done. People are already forgetting about it. Ohio State has the example of Baylor to follow, but they also are a public institution, subject to FOIA and public records requests, so it'll be much harder to cover stuff up. UM won't go down without taking anybody he can with him. I will reserve judgment in this case until more facts are known.

Apparently O’Keefe with Project Veritas has released a damaging report on Meyer’s behavior toward players..

Whatever, dude. I can do nothing to protect anyone in this situation and neither can you, oh worthy internet justice warrior. Unfortunately, it happened.

Once again, if it is proven that domestic violence happened in 2015 and Urban Meyer knew and did nothing, then he should resign or be fired. Unless I'm missing something, neither of those have been proven at this point.

It's not just 2015. He knew it happened in 2009. And there were NINE other police reports from 2012-15.

Are you related to Urban Meyer? Do you wish he was your cousin? Or Daddy?

Otherwise, your blindness is extremely difficult to understand.

Back