• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Urban Meyer to OSU

His 2004 Utah team went 12-0, won a BCS game, and finished the season top 5 in the polls. Is that not relevant nationally?

What I really meant was relevant in the Natl Champ picture. Utah was about as relevant to the Nat'l Championship picture as Houston is this year and we were in 2006. That Utah team would have gotten murdered by USC, Auburn, OK, Tx or probably a lot of other teams. They played a weak Pitt team from a weaker Big East. Whoop de do.

They were relevant enough to land their coach one of the top 5 jobs in the country.

I hope this is the case, but I don't think big time recruits will look past his time at Florida and the two NCs he won.

Yeah, and tOSU is a national recruiting organization, especially with Meyer at the helm. the better teams in the Big Ten have gotten faster over the past ten years. the current roster already has six players from Florida, a few from Georgia, and two from Charlotte. And you can bet that those players weren't brought in to fill out the roster either.

Deep South recruits also wont look past LSU, UF and AL, all of which are more recently relevant than OSU, closer to home, and in a much better climate.

Wake has a bunch of players from FL that UF, UM and FSU passed on. We arent contending for titles.

it just dawned on me, but you are wrong a lot

They were relevant enough to land their coach one of the top 5 jobs in the country.

Right, but the point remains, at OSU he is going to be expected to win the big one. Every coach at OSU is expected to win the big one, and the expectations on him will be even higher. I just think it will be harder to win it all at a big 10 school given what the SEC has done in the last 10 years.

OSU has made it to the Champ game twice coming out of a weak big 10 with no championship game, only to have an SEC team completely wipe the floor with them.

Deep South recruits also wont look past LSU, UF and AL, all of which are more recently relevant than OSU, closer to home, and in a much better climate.

Wake has a bunch of players from FL that UF, UM and FSU passed on. We arent contending for titles.

Really? You're going to pass up a chance to play for Urban Meyer to go play for Will Muschamp. Sure you might want to play close to home, but tOSU isn't going down to Florida to recruit backups with offers from Wake Forest. I think you know that.

I just googled the first Florida native on the tOSU roster, Etienne Sabino. He committed to tOSU as a junior. He was the #1 linebacker prospect in the nation and chose tOSU over Florida and Southern California.

Right, but the point remains, at OSU he is going to be expected to win the big one. Every coach at OSU is expected to win the big one, and the expectations on him will be even higher. I just think it will be harder to win it all at a big 10 school given what the SEC has done in the last 10 years.

OSU has made it to the Champ game twice coming out of a weak big 10 with no championship game, only to have an SEC team completely wipe the floor with them.

The expectations at tOSU are to beat Michigan, and make it to the Rose Bowl. Those are what is expected of the coach.

He is probably also supposed to compete for the big one and win some BCS bowl games as well, but that is not expected every year.

Really? You're going to pass up a chance to play for Urban Meyer to go play for Will Muschamp. Sure you might want to play close to home, but tOSU isn't going down to Florida to recruit backups with offers from Wake Forest. I think you know that.

I just googled the first Florida native on the tOSU roster, Etienne Sabino. He committed to tOSU as a junior. He was the #1 linebacker prospect in the nation and chose tOSU over Florida and Southern California.

wrong. osu is made up completely of slow white guys from the midwest.

He's not going to be able to recruit nearly the same speed at OSU that he was able to wrangle at UF. That is going to severely impact his spread O in competing at a national level.

While he's won everywhere he's coached, he was only relevant nationally when he was at UF.

I don't doubt that he'll win lots of games at OSU, but unless he moves the school to the southeast, there is going to be a decent talent gap between his program and the top 2-3 SEC schools.

So fast guys only grow up in the southeast?

The Big 10 is only "slower" than the SEC because of the brand of football it plays, not because fast people only grow in SEC states.

Just want to take this opportunity to correct what I see is a huge misconception about "SEC speed". When intelligent people talk about this, they're not talking about skill position players. Hell, every decent team in the country has legitimately fast guys playing WR, cornerback, etc.

What it really means is that the SEC tends to have more big uglies, mostly defensive lineman and linebackers, who are not only strong as an ox, but also fast and athletic. This gets incorrectly extrapolated by people both for and against the SEC into speed across all positions, which just isn't correct.

When people hypothesize about Meyer getting "speed" guys to leave the south for OSU, it's not the skill guys that really matter. OSU already has those guys, and have for some time. It's a matter of getting those 270 pound defensive ends, who can run a 4.5s/40yd and stop the run, to go to Columbus.

Has recruiting been a problem for tOSU? I think they get plenty of speed on offense. The athletes on the DL is what has separated the SEC in recent years.

yeah, doesn't LSU rotate like 10 DL guys in each game?

I don't disagree with any of that. I said that the better Big Ten teams have gotten faster the past ten years, which they have. When I talk about national recruiting, I'm talking about being able to recruit the real difference makers, the top players at a position. It ought to be understood that they're fast enough to be among the best.

Understand HP. Out of curiousity, I went to Rivals and looked at OSU's and UF's 5* recruits from the current recruiting year back to 2002.

OSU's are from Virginia (1), Pennsylvania (3), Ohio (8), and Florida (1).

UF's are from North Carolina (3), New York (1), Florida (11), Pennsylvania (1), California (2), Maryland (2), New Jersey (1), Georgia (2), South Carolina (1), Virginia (1), Alabama (1), and Texas (1).

So I think what you are getting at is that a program like UF has more access to elite regional talent and has done a better job on a national level, even if OSU is cranking out top 5 classes most years.

Yeah, and I made a similar point on the Grobe to PSU thread a couple of days ago regarding recruiting at Tennessee. Elite programs need to be able to dominate in-state recruiting, but they also have to pull some of the better players from adjacent states, and they also have to get some of the best players nationwide. Those players might not be in their region.

I pointed out that most of Florida's qb's aren't from Florida and that Matt Stafford is from Texas and Knowshown Moreno is from NJ. Florida State's best defensive lineman is from freaking Germany via a Connecticut prep school.

Don't your remember the story about Florida asking Steve Spurrier for his resume?

I don't disagree with any of that. I said that the better Big Ten teams have gotten faster the past ten years, which they have. When I talk about national recruiting, I'm talking about being able to recruit the real difference makers, the top players at a position. It ought to be understood that they're fast enough to be among the best.

Not fast enough to not get pasted on National Championship game.

And DeacInBama hit the nail on the head. I just dont see Urban pulling enough guys to let OSU sport a DLine like LSU and Bama have in the near future. Urban or no. Why go to the midwest when you have better programs in your backyard you can play for?

Back