• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Vanderbutthurt

I think knew he had peaked at Vanderbilt and wanted out.

Vandy's rise coincided with Tennessee and Florida being on a temporary down stretch. Vandy's time as a good program is limited...

Unless Vandy makes a hire in the next couple of days, they are going to suffer massive attrition from their current committed class. The football recruiting dead period ends on Wednesday, and it will be balls out recruiting for the next 3 weeks until signing day. Having Gattis (the Vandy recruiting coordinator under Franklin) leave for PSU is another blow. The timing of this could not be worse for Vandy.

Sounds like prime pickings for Clawson.

I hope we're good enough in 4-5 years that someone steals Clawson away.

his dream job has always been Penn State. He went to Neshaminy, Penn state football camps, grew up a fan, etc. etc.... If it is your dream job, and you are going to start recruiting kids with the pitch "you are going to be a part of bowl eligible teams help get the program back on its feet..." Plus, they have a very young QB, with excellent potential, and decent recruiting classes coming in. Again, if this is your 'dream job', as he said it is, then it's a great situation, plus he's getting paid.
He will leave PSU within 5 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Sad that Vandy tumbled to far better than we were doing with Grobe in this class.

Key paragraph

It's also interesting that judging from the early recruiting returns after Franklin's departure, many of the prospects committed to Vanderbilt were more so committed to the dynamic coach's vision for the Commodores program rather than to the program or the university itself. There usually isn't this high of an attrition rate when a coaching change occurs.

Was it Skip that used to say this about Wake, or was it another one of our coaches? You sell the kids on the school, not the coach.

Not sure if true but I read something about Franklin agreeing to the PSU deal before his bowl but stringing the acceptance along in an orchestrated manner to flip VU recruits. If that is posted in an article linked I apologize. That's a little different than fielding calls from recruits but just big time football these days. Last I saw he has offered 12/20 VU verbals and only three remain fully committed. They need to hire a coach.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Key paragraph

Was it Skip that used to say this about Wake, or was it another one of our coaches? You sell the kids on the school, not the coach.
Some of this is because it is Vandy versus a more established program. This happens every day in real world with sales people jumping to competitors and share shifting their book of business.

One Skipism I'll always remember is "Its better to leave a year early than a year late." That comes to my mind a lot when there's coaching turnover.

If I'm Penn State I don't give a rat's ass about poaching kids from Vandy. Penn State's roster got picked over by Urban Meyer, Kifflin, etc. when Emmert declared their athletes free agents. Oddly, the NCAAs attempt to protect players from big bad Penn State ruined Silas Redd's career. He was a first or second round pick at PSU then transferred to USC and won't get drafted.

It's the nature of the biz. It's a lot different now than that somewhat notable story of Mack Brown encouraging Julius Peppers to stick with UNC when he took the UT job.

If I'm Penn State I don't give a rat's ass about poaching kids from Vandy. Penn State's roster got picked over by Urban Meyer, Kifflin, etc. when Emmert declared their athletes free agents. Oddly, the NCAAs attempt to protect players from big bad Penn State ruined Silas Redd's career. He was a first or second round pick at PSU then transferred to USC and won't get drafted.

They also had recruits decommit when O'Brien left. It's pretty tough to say to a program that they have to sit back while it happens to them but not take advantage of the situation when it works the other way. Like it or not, most college recruits see themselves more as committing to a coaching staff than the school they work for. The result isn't pretty, but it's reality.

k-bigpic.jpg

If you are going to try to take your recruits with you, then be open and say it. Don't say that young men lack integrity if they make that decision when you are coming and then encourage other young men to make the same decision when you are leaving.

It's the nature of the biz. It's a lot different now than that somewhat notable story of Mack Brown encouraging Julius Peppers to stick with UNC when he took the UT job.

Or, I don't know. Could just be that Mack Brown knew that even with the lax academic standards for student-athletes at UT, Peppers still couldn't cut it without those sham AFAM programs they had at UNC.

Or, I don't know. Could just be that Mack Brown knew that even with the lax academic standards for student-athletes at UT, Peppers still couldn't cut it without those sham AFAM programs they had at UNC.

Vince Young made it through 3 years in Austin.

Vince. Young.

So I'm sure they could of found a place for Pep.

If you'd rather spend 4 years in central PA versus Nashville, TN then go for it. Reality is most recruits will need that degree and clearly Vandy is top notch in that regard and Nashville is a terrific city

Back