• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Video Game Thread - $70 Zelda Expansion!

Same here. There are only a few things I'll buy on launch date now.

Horizon, Dark Souls... maybe nothing else.

I mean Christ I bought Sonic Frontiers like 2 weeks ago and its already on sale for $39

Shit. For real? I bought it on launch. My son and I have barely started playing it.

Was excited about Marvel's Midnight Suns when I saw it sitting on a high Metacritic score (83), but after watching this review I'm a little less so since he says it gets pretty repetitive. It also kinda looks like a phone game.

Last edited:
I've been mad at Midnight Suns all along for not being XCom 3. The top of MS's creative team is basically the same as XCom 2's and I've always seen MS as the reason X3 hasn't progressed beyond "we'll get to that one day".

Anyway, the XCom streamers I check out are quite enthusiastic about MS, especially for the tactical gameplay. Scanning reviews in general I'm seeing around a typical 8/10 type score I have a "wait for the first big sale" policy for games and I'll adhere to that but I'll definitely be buying MS at some point.

How is Sonic Frontiers?

Would a 6 and 8 year old love it if they also love all things Mario?

Re Elden Ring, I'm about 12 hours in and I hate it but I can't stop playing it. I've never played one of these games before and the camera's terrible, the combat is pretty bad, and it's insanely frustrating, but I can't stop. It's video game crack.

How is Sonic Frontiers?

Would a 6 and 8 year old love it if they also love all things Mario?

Sonic and Mario are friends now. They do the Olympics together and everything.

It's a good game. The open-world elements could be a little complex and confusing. But they may just enjoy zooming around.

I haven't played a Sonic game at all since the very early days. The short Cyberspace stages are an adjustment. You have to complete 4 objectives. So far, three are pretty easy but the S tier speedrun is hard as balls. Not sure if you have to finish those though.

Re Elden Ring, I'm about 12 hours in and I hate it but I can't stop playing it. I've never played one of these games before and the camera's terrible, the combat is pretty bad, and it's insanely frustrating, but I can't stop. It's video game crack.

Welcome to Dark Souls.

Looking back, the amount of time I spent navigating around/cheesing creeping up behind that first garrison was a bit silly

Yeah I beat Margit then got through some of the castle and it was just like... Goddamnit it never stops, everyone you run into is instant death if you don't grind it out for hours. Then god forbid you get knocked off some ledge and lose all your progress.

Switched to Ghost of Tsushima now on Ragnarok. So good. And like, actually fun.

i really like some other games of that ilk (sekiro, bloodborne) but i too found elden ring to be unenjoyable.

Bought a Switch (with Mario Kart 8) as a family Christmas present, but I've been out of the console game for a LONG time. What other games would you all recommend for an 8yo boy and 5yo girl? My son enjoys playing our old NES (Kirby, Mario) and Gameboy (Pokemon).

Kirby, Mario, and Pokemon games are a good start. There are probably about 15-20 of those for the Switch.

Started playing Dead Cells on Apple Arcade and fuck it's fun. Gonna have to get it for switch next time it's on sale, it's annoying connecting my controller to the iPad.

Bought a Switch (with Mario Kart 8) as a family Christmas present, but I've been out of the console game for a LONG time. What other games would you all recommend for an 8yo boy and 5yo girl? My son enjoys playing our old NES (Kirby, Mario) and Gameboy (Pokemon).
Super Mario Odyssey
Pokemon Let's Go!
Nintendo Switch Sports

Back