• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Video Game Thread - The Last of Us = GOTY

Apparently, the Master Chief collection is having some serious multiplayer issues along with its release today. Not a great day for new releases. I was really close to taking the plunge on an XBone, too. Well... I guess we'll see if they can get these games patched up in the next couple weeks.

This is just the new reality for releases on new consoles. Things are not going to be as meticulously tested/fixed because they are capable of fixing things with patches more quickly.

The good news is that generally speaking it seems like they actually ARE getting major bugs fixed more quickly. Forza had a BUNCH of issues with it's release a 8 or so weeks ago and they fixed most of them within 24 hours.

Just bought Master Chief Collection, installing it now. Bummer on the multiplayer issues, but I'm looking just as forward to diving into the Halo 1 and especially Halo 2 campaigns and reliving those.

I am trying yet again to get into Assassin's Creed. I tried AC1 and hated it. Never tried the second or brotherhood. Tried AC3 again, and was bored to tears. Since I got the AC bundle Xbox One, I am now trying Black Flag in the hopes of it interesting me enough to finish it and Unity.

So far, I am bored to tears, the controls are "iffy" at best and I have no idea what's going on in the story. Something about me exploring the memories of an old pirate in order to make a video game? I'll give it a little bit longer, but so far my take on it is just like every other AC game. Shitty controls, convoluted story, uninteresting characters and gameplay.

you jump into the 4th game of a series and are confused by the plot? no wai

Man I've never heard anyone hate on AC like that. I thought 2 was the most fun game I've played on the XBox.

Is Co-Op Campaign play supposed to be supported in the master chief collection? Would love to run through campaigns with friends across the country, but didn't see any obvious options for that when viewing the game briefly this morning (just jumped in to make sure it downloaded correctly).

Man I've never heard anyone hate on AC like that. I thought 2 was the most fun game I've played on the XBox.

i can see finding it repetitive but usually that's the complaint after playing through a whole game or the series. but i was totally into AC1; i loved doing endless aerial assassinations

And I don't really get the controls being wonky part either. The free running is amazing.

I didn't like AC3 at all (and that's the game I first tried for the series, unfortunately) because it bored me to tears and the gameplay did seem repetitive/just wasn't compelling, but I loved Black Flag. The pirate theme/music/naval warfare component was all awesome.

you jump into the 4th game of a series and are confused by the plot? no wai

I tried the first one. Couldn't stomach it. I have an idea of what the story is supposed to be. With that said. Black Flag does a horrible job of introducing you if you have never played AC.

Never tried the second one so I can't comment on that.

i can see finding it repetitive but usually that's the complaint after playing through a whole game or the series. but i was totally into AC1; i loved doing endless aerial assassinations

I am two percent complete with Black Flag and already almost bored enough to not turn it back on.

And I don't really get the controls being wonky part either. The free running is amazing.

The free-running works OK, although in Black Flag I feel like you often take a route you didn't intend. The issues I have with the controls has more to do with facing the right way in combat or interacting with something like a loot chest. When I have to maneuver myself and the camera for 5 seconds to get myself in just the right spot where I can hit "b" to open a chest, that's lame. Too far from the chest I get, but too much to the right or left? Or god forbid you're too close to open it? That's weak.

This really sounds like operator error. I've never found the controls difficult with any of the AC games.

i mean, if you don't like the game you don't like game;:noidea:

the gameplay mechanic were and are still pretty unique and i think it's got a pretty cool plot device

After playing both AssFlag (heh) and Shadows of Mordor in the past year, I can see the griping about the AC controls. Shadows of Mordor is basically the same game in a lot of ways, but the free running is easier and more responsive. You don't have to guide your character to the exact ledge he needs to grab onto--you just point and go, and he seems to find his own way. It's nice.

well, i mean desmond is just some fucking dude vs a Numenorean Ranger combined with the spirit of a super powerful Noldorin Elf. makes sense to me. #nerd

Just play AC2. If you still don't like it, we can never speak again.

AC4 was great, but the repetitiveness of the assassin missions as well as constantly having to tail targets while trying to pay attention to the exposition was really a drain on the game.

Really? Compared to what games?

Any of the Batman games. Arkham Asylum and Arkham City had much tighter controls than AC. The Uncharted games controls seem to work much better than AC.

They are not the worst I've ever suffered through, but they do make the game needlessly harder than it is. Hard does not equal worse, I agree, but hard because the controls put you in a bad spot kind of sucks. Not the end of the world, and not my biggest beef with the series, but I would never say it had really tight controls.

Oh and the music in Black Flag is great. Also, the step up in going to the Caribbean where they can bring some color into the game was a wise decision.

The stealth missions are a joke though, mostly because of enemy A.I. I can be three feet from a guard and standing up in plain view, but he won't see me because I'm standing in a stealth bush? Come on. At the same time on another mission I might be completely hidden behind a wall but suddenly an alarm goes off and the entire town's guard comes running? Please...

Raleigh, AC1 is a terrible game with repetitive missions and a mind-numbing story.

Two was much better, all-around.

Also, I am very excited for the new season of League.

Back