• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Video Game Thread - The Last of Us = GOTY

My XBL subscription ends on Friday. A friend and I have been doing the GTA: V Heists and they are a lot of fun. I still have bad memories of GTA: IV multiplayer and GTA: V is great. Very open world, just go out and do whatever you want.

You can even turn on passive mode if you don't want people just coming up and killing you while you're trying to do stuff.

Anyone else pumped about the Witcher 3 in a couple weeks? Might be the best RPG ever and perhaps best graphics ever. High hurdles but it's looking incredible.

I need to play Witcher and Witcher 2. I own both, but never get around to them.

I bought a new graphics card and it came with Witcher 3... I enjoyed the first two, though I felt they dumbed things down too much in 2.

I did not play Witcher 1 but am almost complete with Witcher 2. There is a definite learning curve to the games. The names and places are fairly hard to keep straight for a while. Apparently they've made 3 a bit more approachable in that regard for first-timers. I've just greatly enjoyed the combat system of the game over Skyrim/Oblivion combat.

Witcher 2 is a great game though. Definitely worth playing.

What graphics card did you get? I'm either going to get a 970 or 980.

I bought a new graphics card and it came with Witcher 3... I enjoyed the first two, though I felt they dumbed things down too much in 2.

I got it with a card too. I never played 1 or 2, so hopefully I'll still enjoy 3 when it arrives.

I have been really enjoying Borderlands 2, and I just picked up Far Cry 3 on a great sale. I've got a huge backlog of games to work through.

Question for some of you who are techier than me: I built a new desktop and reinstalled all my games. Everything is running great except my old Dawn of War II and Dawn of War: Retribution games, which keep locking up in the middle of gameplay and requiring a reboot. Obviously my machine has plenty of specs to run these old games, all the drivers are up to date, etc. etc. They are 32-bit and my new rig is 64-bit, not sure if that could be a problem (other 32 bit apps are running fine). Any ideas on what could be going wrong or how to diagnose? I uninstalled them a couple days ago and am going to reinstall and see if that helps, if that doesn't work not sure what to do. My kid likes those games and he's pestering me unrelentingly to fix them as though it's just some screw that needs to be tightened.

What graphics card did you get? I'm either going to get a 970 or 980.

Unless you're planning on a ton of 4k gamin, the 970 will probably work for you just fine.

I want one or the other, but can't justify upgrading my 770 yet. Maybe with the 1070/1080? comes out.

Any ideas on what could be going wrong or how to diagnose? I uninstalled them a couple days ago and am going to reinstall and see if that helps, if that doesn't work not sure what to do. My kid likes those games and he's pestering me unrelentingly to fix them as though it's just some screw that needs to be tightened.

Dumb question, but did you google it? That's how I fix most of my game compatibility problems.

The first thing I would try is telling the app to run in Windows 7 or XP compatibility mode.

Unless you're planning on a ton of 4k gamin, the 970 will probably work for you just fine.

I want one or the other, but can't justify upgrading my 770 yet. Maybe with the 1070/1080? comes out.

Yeah, I'm thinking of waiting until the graphics card tests are run so I can determine whether 970 is enough to max it out in 1080p. I'm not doing 1440p.

I got that itch and started playing D2 again. Perhaps my favorite game of all time.

I got it with a card too. I never played 1 or 2, so hopefully I'll still enjoy 3 when it arrives.

I have been really enjoying Borderlands 2, and I just picked up Far Cry 3 on a great sale. I've got a huge backlog of games to work through.

Question for some of you who are techier than me: I built a new desktop and reinstalled all my games. Everything is running great except my old Dawn of War II and Dawn of War: Retribution games, which keep locking up in the middle of gameplay and requiring a reboot. Obviously my machine has plenty of specs to run these old games, all the drivers are up to date, etc. etc. They are 32-bit and my new rig is 64-bit, not sure if that could be a problem (other 32 bit apps are running fine). Any ideas on what could be going wrong or how to diagnose? I uninstalled them a couple days ago and am going to reinstall and see if that helps, if that doesn't work not sure what to do. My kid likes those games and he's pestering me unrelentingly to fix them as though it's just some screw that needs to be tightened.

Previous Witchers super cheap right now:
The Witcher: Enhanced Edition Director's Cut [steampowered.com] - $1.49
The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings Enhanced Edition [steampowered.com] - $2.99

As for the crash problem - is there a way to force the game to play in an earlier DirectX mode? I had that problem when things transitioned from 9.0 to 10.0.

My new card is a 960.

I've been playing AC: 4 of late. I played 1, 2, and Brotherhood and missed Revelations and 3 but 4 seems really good so far. Fast travel is super nice.

I've been playing AC: 4 of late. I played 1, 2, and Brotherhood and missed Revelations and 3 but 4 seems really good so far. Fast travel is super nice.

dem chantys doe

srsly, the first time I set the sails to 'cruise' and the ship started rolling then the guys started singing? #winningexperience, ubisoft

IV was really good except for the nonstop tailing missions. I've been thinking about buying it again for the Xbox One, since the visual effects are amazing. Also, I still catch myself singing the shanties in my head.

AC2 is one of my top five favorite games, and imo you're not missing anything by not playing III, and Revelations is ok I guess. I just bought a copy of Unity for about 30 dollars and it looks like a lot of the bugginess has been patched, and I'm really enjoying it so far. I'm not very far into the game, but it's really cool playing the campaign on the brink of the French Revolution. You can definitely tell what the Xbox One can do compared to the 360. The visual effects are much better, for example the main character will get bloody as he fights more and more people. Also, it's amazing how many buildings you can actually go into or pass through. The 360 wouldn't have been able to handle a lot of that stuff.

Also, the new AC game will be announced today. Rumor is that it's set in London during the Industrial Revolution

Back