• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wait, she didn't even show up to the debate?

Tillis is essentially the head of the state's legislative branch while McCrory is the head of the executive. Both have been culpable in teacher issues but Tillis is the one who was really shoving through the "reforms"

Thanks. My dad and stepmom this weekend tried to say that a lot of what McCrory did with teaching reform was because of the NEA. They lean pretty far to the right and are basically apologists for anything GOP-related, so I was curious about whether what they were saying was at all accurate.

Thanks. My dad and stepmom this weekend tried to say that a lot of what McCrory did with teaching reform was because of the NEA. They lean pretty far to the right and are basically apologists for anything GOP-related, so I was curious about whether what they were saying was at all accurate.

All the rhetoric was anti-union at the time. Of course there aren't unionized teachers in NC.

McCrory started taking up for teachers when he realized he was pissing off one of the biggest sub-sets of voters in the state. He took a sharp turn back towards being moderate when Tea Party rhetoric and the legislatures actions starting dragging his numbers down into a hole.

McCrory started taking up for teachers when he realized he was pissing off one of the biggest sub-sets of voters in the state.

As well as people in the population centers.

People in Perquimans County see a starting teacher's salary as living high on the hog.

As well as people in the population centers.

People in Perquimans County see a starting teacher's salary as living high on the hog.

Is this a real county? Actual question from a transplant-- how the hell do people in NC keep track of all the freaking counties there are? Someone really let it get excessive.

Honestly, it's not that hard. I probably couldn't list them all but if you gave me the names of every county on the East Coast, I could pick out the NC ones.

Is this a real county? Actual question from a transplant-- how the hell do people in NC keep track of all the freaking counties there are? Someone really let it get excessive.

Had to memorize all of them in 5th grade (I think. could've been 6th or 7th)

It's not that big of a deal to keep up with the counties if you travel around the state much. What is confusing, even to a local, is that many towns and cities that have the same names as counties aren't located in those counties.
Just a few examples of this off the top of my head:

Rockingham is not in Rockingham County
Neither Asheville or Asheboro are in Ashe County
Neither Greensboro or Greenville are in Greene County
Graham is not in Graham County
Pittsboro is not in Pitt County
Yanceyville is not in Yancey County
Columbus is not in Columbus County
Brunswick is not in Brunswick County
Jacksonville is not in Jackson County

It's not that big of a deal to keep up with the counties if you travel around the state much. What is confusing, even to a local, is that many towns and cities that have the same names as counties aren't located in those counties.

Well that's just ridiculous

But Wake Forest is in Wake County. Unless you're looking for the university. That's in Forsyth County.

Hertford, the seat of Perquimans County, is not in Hertford County.

None of that ever occurred to me.

None of that ever occurred to me.

Yeah. Kinda weird, huh?

It seems like for every Lincolnton (Lincoln County), Gastonia (Gaston County), or Ansonville (Anson County), there is a Mooresville (hint: not in Moore County).

Franklin is not in Franklin County, but Franklinton is. On top of that, Washington is in Beaufort County, not Washington County, and Beaufort is in Carteret County, not Beaufort County.

Greensboro, Greenville, and Greene County were all named after the same person, Major General Nathanael Greene, who defeated Cornwallis in the Battle at Guilford Court House, in Guilford County, which has no towns named after Nathanael Greene.

Last edited:
Greensboro, Greenville, and Greene County were all named after the same person, Major General Nathanael Greene, who defeated Cornwallis in the Battle at Guilford Court House, in Guilford County, which has no towns named after Nathanael Greene.

Not really.

Um, Greensboro is in Guilford County last time I checked.

I assumed that post was trollwork.

lol, thought I could sneak that in. I even spelled Nathanael the weird historic way.

Can I get some more clarification on this? I've finally decided to take much more of an interest in our state politics so I have a lot of work to do. I thought McCrory was the one who singlehandedly made NC the laughingstock of the country for teaching?

We're about 3 months away from 485 being fully joined after about 30 years of half-assed Democrat construction. McCrory could fire every single teacher in the state and take a dump on their final paychecks and his tenure would still be a rousing success in my opinion. But I'm not voting for Tillis or Hagan.

Back