• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake (#9 CFP, #5 SOR) at UNC (UNC-2.5) 12:00 noon, ABC

True. Watching the game, it was clear that ND runs the most boring and "traditional" offenses in the country and they put up big yards against the holes. They also almost lost to a god awful VT team a few weeks ago... I feel like they are not as good as their ranking and hope that Carolina is beat up and demoralized coming into a Noon game at home in front of a bad home crowd. I'm still nervous about this one due to Howell's ability to scramble and run.

UNC is last in sacks given up with almost 4/game and that includes going against some cream puffs. You know our O is going to easily go over 35 if not 40+ as UNC gives up over 30/game on average and their D seems to be trending worse giving up big points regularly now and we have one of the top Os in the land. I think the game comes down to whether Hemphill coaches aggressively and regularly creates pressure or coaches like a pansy and only sends 3 in obvious passing downs and have 8 sitting back so Howell can pick us apart and move them up and down the field with ease keeping UNC in the game and giving the UNC faithful hope. If we come after him and have some guys back healthy on D I think we can create some TOs and hopefully put them away early similar to Duke although sure it will be a much tougher test and expect it to still be a game at halftime but hopefully crushing their spirits in 3q.

Yep. We are the only North Carolina ACC team to win a championship in the last 30+ years.

I think it’s 40+ years for outright title- UNC won title in 1980. Spurrier had Duke share title in 1989 so that’s the most recent behind 2006 Deacs.

We have struggled to stop good teams for the last six weeks. If the defense plays to type and the offense has an off day, we're in trouble.

Yes, we do! Agree 100%.

But those last 2 in 2006 were not amazing, since there was nothing amazing about that Va Tech game.

More like amazing BC game, and embarrassing on several fronts including our RB getting sick, our only other RB got speared/targeting (hmmmm), disaster ticket management and security, Va Tech game.

well amazing from the sense of being a student at least. hype on campus through the roof all week, tailgating all day, drinking a lot. yeah once you walked inside the stadium it wasn't great. but the buildup was insane (for Wake). luckily that loss didn't matter, was all about next week's tilt in College Park.

i mean when you look at their schedule, meh. lost at VT. dominated the powerhouse Georgia State. beat UVA at home by 20 (wake won at UVA by 20). blown out at home by GT. beat duke 38-7. lost at home to FSU by 10. beat miami by 3 at home. lost at notre dame.

i don't get the love. and wake gets criticized for their defense, yet UNC is allowing 30.8 ppg - allowed 246 in eight contests.

We have struggled to stop good teams for the last six weeks. If the defense plays to type and the offense has an off day, we're in trouble.

Well this is true of most teams. If Georgia’s defense has an off day against an average team then I would imagine they are also in trouble.

https://247sports.com/college/north...ve-Dj-Vu-UNC-Tar-Heels-Mack-Brown--174288469/

Entering Week 9, the Fighting Irish were averaging 107.7 rushing yards per game on 2.99 yards per carry. They rushed for 293 yards at a 7.0-yards-per-carry clip – both season highs – on Saturday. The Irish were averaging 370 yards per game at a 5.24-yards-per-play clip and again toppled those averages against UNC with season highs of 523 yards and 7.7 yards per play.

Notre Dame scored on eight of its final nine possessions, averaging 4.4 points per possession after scoring 2.23 points per possession through its first seven games.

The trouble for defensive coordinator Jay Bateman is that what happened in South Bend was not unique in any way. Rather, it’s yet another addition to a stable trend. What’s alarming is the statistical regression that’s taking place. In 2019, UNC allowed 23.7 points per game and 5.43 yards per play. In 2020, UNC allowed 29.4 points per game and 5.80 yards per play. Through eight games in 2021, UNC is allowing 30.8 points and 5.85 yards per play. During that same time period, Brown’s coaching staff has signed a Top-30 recruiting class and a pair of Top-15 recruiting classes. Add in 10 returning starters, and well, the math doesn’t add up.

Bateman has harped on execution, or lack thereof, as his defense’s pitfall in recent weeks. That trend continued early on Saturday as an outside linebacker was caught in no man’s land as Notre Dame capitalized on a numbers advantage for its first touchdown play. Inside linebacker Jeremiah Gemmel praised Bateman’s play calling against the Irish and instead directed blame to the Tar Heels in uniform.....

The 13th-ranked Demon Deacons, who will arrive with many of the same players who rolled up 53 points and 606 yards of total offense a year ago in Chapel Hill, rank fifth nationally in scoring offense (43.4) and ninth in yards per play (6.82). Five days later, the Tar Heels will travel to No. 17 Pittsburgh for a Thursday night matchup at Heinz Field. The Panthers have been every bit as explosive as the Demon Deacons, ranking fourth nationally in scoring offense (43.9) and 13th in yards per play (6.74).

Given the fact that three of the Tar Heels’ past five opponents have set season-high FBS scoring marks against them, there’s little data available to suggest UNC is capable of slowing down either the Demon Deacons or the Panthers.

There D is atrocious and there is no way they are going to get well in a week not to mention our O is so hard to prepare for with the mesh options. As long as we don't make bad TOs it will all come down to our D and more specifically how Hemphill gameplans for UNC. Sit back and play zone and let them pick us apart or go aggressive and attack one of the weak points of UNC in their pass protection and get pressure early and often to create havoc and TO opportunities. As it has been all year it will all come down to whether our D can play respectable and slow down a good offense or are we going to get Army/Syracuse type production where we get bulldozed and give up yards and scores by the bunches.

There D is atrocious and there is no way they are going to get well in a week not to mention our O is so hard to prepare for with the mesh options. As long as we don't make bad TOs it will all come down to our D and more specifically how Hemphill gameplans for UNC. Sit back and play zone and let them pick us apart or go aggressive and attack one of the weak points of UNC in their pass protection and get pressure early and often to create havoc and TO opportunities. As it has been all year it will all come down to whether our D can play respectable and slow down a good offense or are we going to get Army/Syracuse type production where we get bulldozed and give up yards and scores by the bunches.

and I should have added or the D we produced last year against UNC.....

Yes.. If we can get 3-4 third and medium/long stops, especially preventing Howell from scrambling, we will win by 2 TDs.. Hopefully the D is equipped to stop Howell from running for 100+ yards and gassing our D, which would mean another 45 pt shootout.

Also, I hope we win the toss and get the ball first just in case!

Works out for us pretty well playing them right before their short week playing Pittsburgh.

Yes.. If we can get 3-4 third and medium/long stops, especially preventing Howell from scrambling, we will win by 2 TDs.. Hopefully the D is equipped to stop Howell from running for 100+ yards and gassing our D, which would mean another 45 pt shootout.

Also, I hope we win the toss and get the ball first just in case!

Garnes may have been good in this spot. He was the only guy we used to spy the Cuse QB that was effective.

Garnes may have been good in this spot. He was the only guy we used to spy the Cuse QB that was effective.

Really need the health of the safeties to improve, so maybe Redd can play this spot.

What is the best (and cheapest) way to get tickets and parking for this game? I've looked at the online ticket sellers and they are certainly an option but am wondering if anyone has any other info.

Well this is true of most teams. If Georgia’s defense has an off day against an average team then I would imagine they are also in trouble.

Deacs average 6.82 yards per play

UGA averages 6.74 yards per play

Saturday will be the second time in history that WF plays UNC as a ranked team - the only previous time was the 2006 24-17 win in Kenan sealed by Abbate's interception in the end zone.

Really need the health of the safeties to improve, so maybe Redd can play this spot.

Awesome to see Greer back out there against Duke even in limited action.

The ACC Championship game was bigger than the Orange Bowl. It was for a league championship. The Orange Bowl was just an exhibition game. One that I am thrilled we played in but it still doesn't mean as much as winning the league.
This

Back