• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake at Rice, Friday, 9/6

DT Tyler Williams and WR Jaquari Roberson are out again this week versus Rice. Looking like Williams will also miss the UNC game.

DT Tyler Williams and WR Jaquari Roberson are out again this week versus Rice. Looking like Williams will also miss the UNC game.

That’s disappointing, earlier it looked like Williams would be likely to go against UNC.

I'll be in Houston, pending a Raleigh Dorian plane departure as well. Is there any official Wake sponsored tailgate for this game? If not, should we make an unofficial one? Also, what is the team hotel? Trying to be near there.

Seems very unlikely. We were awful that year, like so many other years. I guess it's possible we were favored by that much in a road game against then-putrid Rutgers (which I attended in person, in one of the lowlights of my WF football-watching career), but even there we struggled to win by two TDs.

I was there too. That Rutgers team was winless.

This really hurts. Biggest concern with UNC is they showed promise in the inside run game.

I'll be staying at the Radisson. Not sure about the team though.

Anywhere online to hear last night's radio show

mitchhedberg1-2x.jpg

Made it to Houston. Now Astros tonight and Deacs tomorrow. Feel good about this. Hope I get a second weekend to enjoy a victory Saturday and Sunday.

A few thoughts about Rice:

- The Owl offense is weak. They scored 7 points last week at Army with a total of 10 first downs and 243 yards.
- Rice's QB is RS freshman Wiley Green. He was 7 for 14 against Army with a total of 68 yards passing. Green played in 4 games last year completing 51% of his passes for 621 yards with 3 TDs and 4 picks.
- The focus on their offense appears to be running he ball. They did average 6 ypc against Army (helped by a 54 yard TD run), and they have an improved OL with a couple of grad transfers (one from Stanford and another from NC Central).
- Rice offensively is the opposite of Utah State. Slow tempo, run-heavy, conservative.
- Rice's defense steadily improved during last season as they held their last 3 opponents (which included LSU) to 27 ppg and 3.9 ypc after giving up 38 ppg in their first 9.
- The defensive progress continued against Army as they held the Black Knights to 14 points, 284 total yards and only 4.4 ypp.
- The defense returns the top 4 tacklers and most of the starters from the back 7.
- Rice has kicking issues as they missed two FGs against Army.
- Rice has Texas up next.

Rice will want to slow the game and ugly it up. WF will want a track meet. Rice's run D looked stout last week, but this week the Owl face a WF offense that will spread them out and test the Owl corners. Rice's offense is tepid. As long as WF can contain the Rice rushing attack, Rice will have problems moving the ball. If WF can get out to an early lead, things could get ugly is Rice if forced to throw the ball. Both teams are in look ahead spots with upcoming games against in-state rivals. WF is currently -19 and the total is 58.5, which projects to a 39-20 final. Think the game will be lower scoring than that. Think WF wins fairly comfortably, but not sure about covering the 19.

Last edited:
If Rice scores 21 against us Clemson will score 77.

Well they scored 24 last year and Clemson scored 63. You're not far off. Hard to have much confidence after week 1.

Based on these write-ups, I'm not sure if Rice is going to even try to score 24. Looks like they're going to slow it down and plan to make some stops and hold us to FGs.

Deacs win 42-13.

Back