• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Baseball 2017-Regional Champs! On to Supers!

lets hope we don't make the same mistake as we did with grobe.

Would be great for Walter but I'm not sure how well it would work out for South Carolina. I'm a fan of Walter but think they can likely do a little bit better.

And I don't know that this is his dream job. If the rumor mill is to be trusted he wanted the Tulane job but a Vandy assistant got it.

If he goes anywhere, from everything i have heard, Hobbs would be a great hire for the head spot.

In the Columbia State, Walter is one of 10 names mentioned and is down the list. The expectation in Columbia is to go to Omaha on an annual basis. Also, Ray literally looms large and always will. Ray is not a bad guy, but it is his program. On paper, Walter deserves to be a candidate for any major opening. Also, on paper, and probably in actuality, he can be in his dream job here for the rest of his career.

The situation in Columbia and the firing of Chad Holbrook really boils down to missing the NCAA tourney 2 out of the last 3 years which can't happen down there. Tanner made it every year he was the coach down there including his first year when he came over from NCSU. He left a loaded roster to a guy that was his top assistant but had never been a head coach. It was much like Matt Doherty getting the job at UNC having never been a head man.

That said, one big season from Walter isn't gonna get him the job in Columbia. Brian O Connor (UVA), Kevin O' Sullivan (Florida), or Jim Schlossnagle (TCU) are most likely. Dan McDonnell (Louisville) is simply already being paid a ton and even the Cocks probably won't give enough to force a move.

What kind of depth do we have on our team? What is the starting lineup likely to be next season after this year's draft is done? Would appreciate some insight from those that know our team and follow baseball closely.

Walter is really a great guy.

Two summers ago, my son's LL all-star team had a nice run to the NC state semis. If you've ever been associated with that stuff, it's a long, drawn-out grind. Coaches are always looking for ways to shake things up in practice...both leading up to the district tournament, as well as between districts and state. One of the other dads had an in with Walter and this team of 12 yr olds got to regularly use WFU's indoor hitting facility, as well as practice on the turf field. After one of the practices, Walter gave the kids a pep talk in the locker room. Really an amazing experience.

This might not be a great time for Walter to jump as his son just finished his jr year of HS here in W-S and is a college prospect (D1 , but perhaps not ACC).

There's some depth and it depends on who ends up going pro, but it's likely that we lose almost all of our top players. I would expect a pretty big step back next year, although lots of people were saying the same about this year after losing Craig and Mondou.

All three starters this year are likely gone. I'd imagine Peluse will become a weekend starter, we have Drew Loepprich as an option there still (junior this year), and if Roberts comes back I think Appreciate is right that he'd be a starter. Wouldn't be surprised to see Morgan McSweeney move into a starting role.

Hitting-wise, Aiello, Mueller, Harvey, Maronpot, and Steel all seemingly will be back. I'd expect DiPonzio (CF for Fairchild), Zach Seal (1B for Sheets), and Patrick Frick to all contribute as well.

Based on a quick look at the 2017 class, we have 10 top 500 Perfect Game recruits coming in.

Also Farish got drafted last year and is a RS-JR. No idea what will happen there but seems like he could get snagged again.

Do they know he only has one kidney ?

The situation in Columbia and the firing of Chad Holbrook really boils down to missing the NCAA tourney 2 out of the last 3 years which can't happen down there. Tanner made it every year he was the coach down there including his first year when he came over from NCSU. He left a loaded roster to a guy that was his top assistant but had never been a head coach. It was much like Matt Doherty getting the job at UNC having never been a head man.

That said, one big season from Walter isn't gonna get him the job in Columbia. Brian O Connor (UVA), Kevin O' Sullivan (Florida), or Jim Schlossnagle (TCU) are most likely. Dan McDonnell (Louisville) is simply already being paid a ton and even the Cocks probably won't give enough to force a move.

Doherty was head coach at Notre Dame before UNC-CH. Maybe you mean Bill Guthridge.

It would be an interesting move if he could get it. 6 seasons with no NCAA appearances before 2 in 2 years is not a record that would be attractive to me as a USC fan.

Do people think the program is poised to be a NCAA tourney team consistently? I have no idea. I assumed we would probably take a step back next year.

It would be an interesting move if he could get it. 6 seasons with no NCAA appearances before 2 in 2 years is not a record that would be attractive to me as a USC fan.

Do people think the program is poised to be a NCAA tourney team consistently? I have no idea. I assumed we would probably take a step back next year.

We tricked you Gamecock people into taking Dave Odom.

Do they know he only has one kidney ?

Doherty was head coach at Notre Dame before UNC-CH. Maybe you mean Bill Guthridge.

Forgot about that as he was only there for a cup of coffee (1 season), went 16-13 and for some odd reason the Holes thought he was the man to lead them to the promised land.

Either way, you simply can't miss the baseball tourney 2 out of 3 years in Columbia and expect to keep your job.

I think everything is in place for Wake to be a nationally relevant program for the foreseeable future. We probably will take a step back next year due to the talent losses.

have we figured out a way to help the players pay for school? davidson has 3 scholarships for the entire team.i assume the max number but still it's only like 12. how does vandy do it?

I think everything is in place for Wake to be a nationally relevant program for the foreseeable future. We probably will take a step back next year due to the talent losses.

We all thought we'd take a step back after losing Will and Nate last season. We have some young talent. Will be key for Roberts to come back. Not saying we won't take a step back but I anticipate other guys stepping up like this season.

One positive thing is we had a really good recruiting class last year and another one this year

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Forgot about that as he was only there for a cup of coffee (1 season), went 16-13 and for some odd reason the Holes thought he was the man to lead them to the promised land.

Either way, you simply can't miss the baseball tourney 2 out of 3 years in Columbia and expect to keep your job.

ND was ultimately 22-15 and lost to Wake in the NIT finals, but let us not split hairs any further.

I don't see Roberts coming back.

Pitchers are always one pitch away from a major injury. Unlike Dunshee last year, Roberts will go in the first 5 rounds. Really hard to justify another year of wear and tear on his arm.

Think the Deacs may surprise next year. Yes, the losses are massive (all 3 weekend starters, closer, lead-off, 3 and 4 hitters among others), but the freshman class is solid, and would expect McSweeney, Pelsue and Carter Bach to be very solid on the mound next year. Mueller, Aiello will be draft prospects next year, and Frick looked good when he played this year. If Maronpot and Steele (draft eligible sophomore) return, the lineup will still be reasonably potent (3 returning hitters with 12+ HRs). Really hard to know how ready the freshman will be to contribute, but the incoming class has talent as well. Program close to the re-load mode.

S.Carolina is a top 5 program. Walter has definitely proved himself over the last couple of years, but it wasn't long ago that his job security at WF was a concern. Would be surprised if SC made the offer, but there may be a Tanner/Walter connection that gives the WF coach a boost.

have we figured out a way to help the players pay for school? davidson has 3 scholarships for the entire team.i assume the max number but still it's only like 12. how does vandy do it?

From what I have read, they provide academic $ assistance, as well as a number of other top baseball schools. I admit, it seems an obvious loop-hole around NCAA scholly rules. But, appears it's the new thinking for many.
Edit: To be clear, Wake does not or has not done this in the past. I'm not in the know. Have heard Vandy, VUA, and others do. I heard the NCSU BB coach complain about this a couple of years ago and he mentioned some names. If the NCAA does not/has not ruled on this, it would seem OK and ones' at a disadvantage if not doing it.

Last edited:
Back