• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Baseball 2021 | Cusick (1st) + Fleming, Seymour, Menendez, Muntz Drafted

It also said he hasn’t officially withdrawn his name from the draft, which some players do to make sure not to be drafted. If someone offers him enough money he’s gone. Very general statement but I won’t believe anything until after about 3 rounds

I must be naive, because Hartle 100% sold me that he's coming to Wake.

He called out Reagan and Wake teammates and said he's looking forward to playing with his friends and having his family at every game. He's been committed since 2017 and we are his hometown team.

If he doesn't play for us it will be a remarkable troll job.

I must be naive, because Hartle 100% sold me that he's coming to Wake.

He called out Reagan and Wake teammates and said he's looking forward to playing with his friends and having his family at every game. He's been committed since 2017 and we are his hometown team.

If he doesn't play for us it will be a remarkable troll job.

or he couldve been offered much more money than he thought he was getting and had to take it?

Question: Are college players quicker to the pro's than high school players? I am sure there are individual exceptions everywhere, but I'm curious whether college players in general start at same level of minor league ball as high school players? Do they tend to stay there as long? I guess I am asking how much does college help or hurt one's professional development?

If Hartle is as good as many claim, he will be offered money that will allow him to pay for a Wake Forest education and invest $1,000,000+. Would you advise your child to turn down that offer to pay for the privilege of attending Wake Forest?

One of my high school classmates was drafted by the Astros. I went to college, then law school, then took a job in Houston. We made it to Houston the same year. Not particularly responsive or relevant in 2021, but I've always thought it was interesting.

Why would he put that video out if he hadn't completely made up his mind? Why mention a guy who is going to wake with him that he's played with his whole life? I just don't think he'd jerk everyone around like that.

Question: Are college players quicker to the pro's than high school players? I am sure there are individual exceptions everywhere, but I'm curious whether college players in general start at same level of minor league ball as high school players? Do they tend to stay there as long? I guess I am asking how much does college help or hurt one's professional development?

I believe I saw something recently that suggested among top 20 or 25 picks, the stay in the minors is a little less than two years more for high schoolers than college.

I believe I saw something recently that suggested among top 20 or 25 picks, the stay in the minors is a little less than two years more for high schoolers than college.

He hasn’t withdrawn from the draft… if he gets paid he will sign. Can’t even imagine turning down over a million dollars to play at Wake with Walter

He hasn’t withdrawn from the draft… if he gets paid he will sign. Can’t even imagine turning down over a million dollars to play at Wake with Walter

Is the fact you didn’t have that option part of your bitterness?

If Hartle is as good as many claim, he will be offered money that will allow him to pay for a Wake Forest education and invest $1,000,000+. Would you advise your child to turn down that offer to pay for the privilege of attending Wake Forest?

If a son or daughter was excellent in high school at writing gaming code and say Zynga, King Digital Entertainment or EA Mobile offered them $2 mill to come out and write code for them instead of go straight to college, I would say for them to go for it! No difference here for a high school baseball pitcher who can always go back to college.

Some kids want the college experience. Maybe he wants a few years to hone his craft and play in front of all of his friends and family. If he's good and wants to bet on himself, the money will still be there in a few years.

The MLB draft is set for Sunday through Tuesday. For the first time, it will be conducted in conjunction with the All Star Game events. There are ton's of different mocks and signability (particularly for HS players) will cause players to rise or fall during the draft. The draft is 20 rounds in 2021 (up from 5 rounds last year, but down from 40 rounds in 2019 and previous years). After the 20 round draft, just like the NFL, MLB teams can sign undrafted free agents, but UFA deals are capped at a small amount (IIRC, $20K signing bonus).

Here are those connected with WF that are ranked in the top 500 (according the Perfect Game) which essentially covers rounds 1 to 17:

#22 (late first round) - RHP Ryan Cusick
#96 (3rd - 4th round) - RHP Peter Huebeck (WF commit from Baltimore, MD - Gilman)
#100 (3rd-4th round) - LHP Josh Hartle (WF commit from King, NC - Reagan HS)
#293 (9th-10th round) - RHP William Fleming
#369 (12th-13th round) - OF Chris Lanzilli
#402 (14th- 15th round) - 1B Bobby Seymour

Also, among the top HS talents in the draft is Khalil Watson from Wake Forest, NC. He is expected to go in the top 10 and forego his commitment to play for NC State.

Other current Deacs that could get drafted or signed:

- C/P/DH Shane Muntz
- INF/P Cole MacNamee

Also, JR OF Michael Ludowig graduated and is transferring to VT, and JR RHP Antonio Menendez had season ending surgery during the season.

Naturally, with the new transfer rules, any currently rostered, but undrafted player could also transfer.

Last edited:
I thought the NCAA closed the "immediately eligible " window on July1. That is, a student athlete had to notify his current school he was leaving by July 1 to be immediately eligible at his or her next school.

Back