• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake-Boston College Thread

I was pissed at the play calling in real time. After watching the replay it was obvious that BC was going to wear us down on D. Those big linemen can move, and Dillion and Bailey are huge but also quick to the corner. BC runs the ball like an NFL team. A couple of the counters in the 2nd half looked like the Riggins Redskins.

The main problem I had was giving Carney so many carries when he wasn't particularly effective in that game.

I was pissed at the play calling in real time. After watching the replay it was obvious that BC was going to wear us down on D. Those big linemen can move, and Dillion and Bailey are huge but also quick to the corner. BC runs the ball like an NFL team. A couple of the counters in the 2nd half looked like the Riggins Redskins.

The main problem I had was giving Carney so many carries when he wasn't particularly effective in that game.

I agree with both of these. The play calling was infuriating during the game, but I understand what they were trying to do. Still should’ve mixed in a few more passes or give Walker a shot given how ineffective the running plays were.

I got up and walked out when we went up 10 in the 4th. I couldn't take anymore. I posted heading out of Chestnut Hill, and I'm just starting to relax. This game came down to their delay of game penalty on a FG attempt. If not, goes for a 60yd FG for the win, instead of Maggio pinning them down on their 5 ydline. I saw Bothroyd run out onto the sideline with a female trainer trying to keep up with him. He and I need a week off.
We weren't trying to score on that last drive we were trying to get enough first downs to run out the clock. Is the game of been tied we would have had a different strategy

The only play that I really didn’t get was putting Carney in the Wildcat. That doesn’t make sense to me - it’s almost as if we call plays without respect to personnel in the game. Honestly, the wildcat doesn’t make much sense for me, especially keeping Newman in the game spread out wide. The advantage of the wildcat is bringing in an extra blocker for the runner. By keeping Newman in split out wide, we don’t get that advantage. We don’t even get an advantage of the direct snap to a RB, b/c Newman is already one of our better runners and runs with the same style as our other backs.

If we are going to insist on the wildcat in occasion, I would much rather have Hinton back there. His running style is different and the D would still have to respect a possible pass.

If we are going to insist on the wildcat in occasion, I would much rather have Hinton back there. His running style is different and the D would still have to respect a possible pass.

This was exactly my thought yesterday.

Felt like we took something close to BC’s best shot—Brown played really well, the defense was swarming to the ball, their run game is relentless, and they even busted out a couple of trick plays. That was a quality win.

Jamie Newman is now 9 and 1 as a starter with three conference Road wins

The only play that I really didn’t get was putting Carney in the Wildcat. That doesn’t make sense to me - it’s almost as if we call plays without respect to personnel in the game. Honestly, the wildcat doesn’t make much sense for me, especially keeping Newman in the game spread out wide. The advantage of the wildcat is bringing in an extra blocker for the runner. By keeping Newman in split out wide, we don’t get that advantage. We don’t even get an advantage of the direct snap to a RB, b/c Newman is already one of our better runners and runs with the same style as our other backs.

Or Walker.

Carney has been a stud and played as hard as anyone I can remember. However, he is the last person among our RBs who should be in the wildcat. He is a straight ahead runner with limited lateral quickness or cutting ability.

The running back rotation seemed like it went hand-in-hand with the game plan. Carney to bruise them for the first half, CBS for a mix of power and speed, and then Walker for when BC defense is tired and can't match his quickness. I wasn't a fan of the run heavy approach, especially when Newman is carrying the ball 20+ times against a team like BC that just gave up 300+ passing yards to Rutgers. It almost seemed like we were saving part of the playbook for later in the season with this game plan, but hey, a win is a win so hat tip to Clawson and Co.

I think in the drive where Carney was in a wildcat, it was warranted because 1) no handoff, so reducing a potential fumble point and 2) let him get a head of steam going straight ahead to try to move the pile. No turnovers and incremental yardage gains were our focus, so I can see why we did that.

Think Carney is still banged up. He didn't have his usual burst. That said, the coaches felt turnovers may decide it and Carney never fumbles and as stated above, he is the best at picking up the blitz, which BC did all game, also limiting the possibility of TOs. Even so, Walker is a home run hitter. He can change the game with one play. Would've liked to see him get more carries.

On another note, Ryan Smenda has got to take better angles in run support. I know that AJ Dillon has surprising quickness for his size, but you would've thought by the 2nd quarter Smenda would've learned that he has take another angle to keep Dillon for beating him up field. Insead Dillon kept beating Smenda to turn the corner on too many rushing plays. Hope Bothroyd is OK. Was really impressed with Tyler Williams coming back off injury. WF has talented young DTs, which is great to see.

Last edited:
We also got outgained by a mediocre UConn team when our offense did nothing but we won the game on a couple of big defensive plays.
We also beat a so-so State team on the road when Plack had maybe the best FG kicking game in school history.
We also barely beat a 3 win UNC team on the road.

Plack wasn’t on that team.

640503.jpeg

Good teams sometimes win ugly. The important thing is they figure out some way to get the W.

This was exactly my thought yesterday.
My thought on the Wildcat thing is that WF does not need to run it with the type of QB that Newman is. He's a massive guy, who has gotten some comparisons to Cam Newton in terms of play style. Why remove that threat in the backfield? They remove a running threat solely to only have a singular running threat in the backfield and the play is very likely going up the middle then. Trust Newman to be ball secure and make the right decision to give it to the RB or pull it for himself.

Refs royally screwed up at the end by stopping the clock with about 30 seconds left. BC player's forward progress was stopped and went out of bounds bc he was pushed by Wake defender.

Back