• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest 2023 baseball season thread (Deacs end historic season with extra inning loss to LSU: Final record 54-12 and top 4 finish nationally)

That was one of the gutsiest performances I’ve seen out of a wake team any sport.

There were so many opportunities to fold and we played great baseball the last two innings to win that. That showed us all something and most people won’t realize how huge that was.

That was one of the gutsiest performances I’ve seen out of a wake team any sport.

There were so many opportunities to fold and we played great baseball the last two innings to win that. That showed us all something and most people won’t realize how huge that was.
Good D. Good pitching. Long balls. Timely hitting. Big time small ball.

Uncompromising determination. Coaching and execution by the players were both stellar.

Went to Clemson to cover the first two games of the series and the stories are over on my site (Thursday free, Friday VIP). Hate to be this way, but I'd texted a friend about halfway through the game that I didn't believe the fans/umps would allow Wake Forest to win a close game last night, so I was proven wrong on that.

The Clemson SID (who was super nice and hospitable) tried to explain that the non-HBP was "you can be hit by a pitch, but you can't make the pitch hit you," alleging that Costello moved into the pitch. And then the strike zone was just abysmal all night. The fans there incessantly work over the ump, which makes an impact.

Up to #6 in RPI. There are 4 ACC teams in the top 10. Kentucky has a bit of a stranglehold on #1 at the moment.

The HBP was insane for three reasons:

1) it hit him
2) he moved out of the way (back from the plate)
3) the ball didn’t even cross the plate for a strike per the Clemson commentary who had Trackman

I guess if the umps rule number 2 occurred it’s a strike regardless of 3? Don’t know the full college rule there. Commentators seemed to believe the review was solely about whether it hit him or not

Their CF is a POS. If he keeps doing that BS with his feet and staring down the pitcher then he’s gonna get put on his ass a few times by opposing pitchers.

Their CF is a POS. If he keeps doing that BS with his feet and staring down the pitcher then he’s gonna get put on his ass a few times by opposing pitchers.

As a former catcher, he gets the middle finger sign from me which means the next pitch is at his helmet ear hole.

They suck and are gonna suck for a while. Don’t understand their love for hiring coaches from the north,

Really a great game given the circumstances. Fun watch even despite frustrations. What a win truly
I felt like it was fun because of the circumstances. It seemed like we were playing Clemson, the ump behind the plate and the replay booth...and we still came out on top because we did the little things right those last 3 innings (bases loaded jam, small ball, good fielding). I haven't been that engaged in a baseball game in a long time.

That said, it'd be great to crush them today and complete the sweep.

The HBP was insane for three reasons:

1) it hit him
2) he moved out of the way (back from the plate)
3) the ball didn’t even cross the plate for a strike per the Clemson commentary who had Trackman

I guess if the umps rule number 2 occurred it’s a strike regardless of 3? Don’t know the full college rule there. Commentators seemed to believe the review was solely about whether it hit him or not
College rule is weird and totally stupid. But the penalty for whatever they thought we did there is a strike. Sort of like delaying the game. It’s an idiotic rule which shouldn’t have applied there anyway.

I felt like it was fun because of the circumstances. It seemed like we were playing Clemson, the ump behind the plate and the replay booth...and we still came out on top because we did the little things right those last 3 innings (bases loaded jam, small ball, good fielding). I haven't been that engaged in a baseball game in a long time.

That said, it'd be great to crush them today and complete the sweep.
I want to win by 20 for lots of reasons. But mainly so walther scan go raise hell like he should have last night and so we can peg Fred Astaire out there in center field.

houston at shortstop is such a godsend. i feel like guys like that don’t make it to college. this is odd to say but i imagine it’s probably similar to watching someone like mark belanger back in the day

If he had a better hit tool he would’ve been drafted. Had plenty of scouts watching. Participated in MLB camps. Just need to be a more consistent hitter

One other point…the kids don’t want to go in the draft unless they have a 6 figure deal at minimum. They play in travel tournaments and go to high schools that have better facilities than rookie league or Single A ball.

If you can go to college for a couple years and sleep in a decent environment, travel by plane, and get actual food and nutrition why would you pick the minors ?

That’s a good point. The minors are terrible living conditions for players. And they are on the road all the time in the same shit cities in the same shit hotels.

That’s a good point. The minors are terrible living conditions for players. And they are on the road all the time in the same shit cities in the same shit hotels.

I’ve heard the kids and parents talk about it. Unless they get 7 figures (I think I said 6 above…meant 7). No chance.

Tommy White told MLB teams unless he got at least $3M he was going to NC State. Felt between NLI and living conditions no reason to go to minors.

Back