• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest 2023 baseball season thread (Deacs end historic season with extra inning loss to LSU: Final record 54-12 and top 4 finish nationally)

Reading lips it seemed like Walter might have told Hawke to square but take the first pitch to see how they were going to play it. Then he squared way, way early on the actual bunt and completely gripped the bat. Plus I haven't heard much in the way of explanations regarding that at-bat.

It does make some sense that he squared early and pulled in the 3rd baseman, then took an unusual looking bunt swing to try to pop it over 3rd's head and just missed it. Especially with metal bats it's not that tough a play, plus if he gets something low it still could have ended up as a sacrifice. With the pitchers on both sides being lights out I think the call made sense either way. This game had a "somehow scratch out one run and cling to it" feel once it hit the 7th.

Here is 2023 run expectancy table. Offense is up, so bunting is an even worse idea than usual.
Runner on 1st 0 outs scores 52.4% of time, with Run expectancy of 1.25. Runner on 2nd, 1 out scores 46.8% of time, with RE of .88. And that is assuming bunt is successful. Just not a good idea to bunt someone over from 1st.

If we win Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday, is there a chance we will be regarded as one of the top-5 greatest college basketball teams of all time? Definitely top ACC team of all time.

If we win Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday, is there a chance we will be regarded as one of the top-5 greatest college basketball teams of all time? Definitely top ACC team of all time.
So good that we become a college basketball great!

Joking aside if we win our next 3 without losing one we have the fewest losses for a champion since 1978. I think with a title we are easily in discussion for one of the top 5-10 teams of all time

Here is 2023 run expectancy table. Offense is up, so bunting is an even worse idea than usual.

Based on this the evidence suggest that, all else equal, you are less likely to score a single run with runners on 1st and 2nd (70.3%) and no out than 2nd and 3rd with one out (68%).

Obviously a lot depends on the quality of the pitcher and hitter (and defense). But I think what is most often overlooked is that getting down a successful sac bunt is not a given, and despite bemoaning from little league coaches, actually kinda hard against 95mph fastballs.

The only thing I heard from the announcers all night, keep in mind the ESPN main web site was all LSU stories/links during our game, that was actually accurate was:

"Wake Forest showed a lot of grit."

Hartle recovering from that LF Cecere gaffe, was enormous. I am not sure Cecere lost it in ths sun as much as he just ran up on it, and misplayed it completely as it carried.

I went to the LF concourse soon after the Cecere mishap. The sun was BRUTAL in LF. I think he definitely lost it in the sun. He was shading his eyes from the 1st pitch

I went to the LF concourse soon after the Cecere mishap. The sun was BRUTAL in LF. I think he definitely lost it in the sun. He was shading his eyes from the 1st pitch
He can't where sunglasses because the plate is in shade. If he wore sunglasses, he would never pick the ball up off the bat.

I did not like the bunt, and I agree the metrics are against it, but in college I'm not necessarily opposed to the idea of squaring to bunt and making the defense and pitcher react to the possibility of bunting, which in theory could result in a WP or get the defense improperly aligned.

I don't love calling a timeout to talk about it and would prefer this play be better rehearsed in advance.

Back