• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest 2023 baseball season thread (Deacs end historic season with extra inning loss to LSU: Final record 54-12 and top 4 finish nationally)

Florida is sending slugger Jac Calianone to the mound. That might be interesting.

Is the lack of work for money and Coleman good or bad? Wouldn’t think they can handle a heavy workload without working up to it, right?

Famous last words...but I would be very surprised if any of those guys can go longer than 3 IP. Two of them are LHP though so that is an advantage to LSU. Coleman and Herring especially seem to have high level talent, they just haven't pitched much

Is the lack of work for money and Coleman good or bad? Wouldn’t think they can handle a heavy workload without working up to it, right?
If either is throwing well, I imagine LSU rides that as long as they can. But I’d think the expectation is that each guy gives 2-3 IP.

A big key for us today is to drag out long at bats and long innings. They are super thin on the pitching front, and if we take a couple guys that they were planning on 3 IP and turn it into 1.1 IP, they are screwed.

Florida is sending slugger Jac Calianone to the mound. That might be interesting.
What do you mean by interesting? He’s been their Sunday starter pretty much all year. Sub 4 ERA. The Shohei of NCAA baseball this year.

Well we are hitting under 200 as a team and are 2-0 in the CWS. Doubt many of us saw that coming regardless of the circumstances. Certainly feel we will need to score some runs going forward though.

Patience at the plate tonight is going to be of the most important essence. I was frustrated with our conservative approach at the plate for 5 innings against them on Monday, but it worked out. It's really hard for even elite guys to throw strikes at us for 9 innings. Let's take advantage of guys who haven't seen a lot of work and churn through their bullpen.

Patience at the plate tonight is going to be of the most important essence. I was frustrated with our conservative approach at the plate for 5 innings against them on Monday, but it worked out. It's really hard for even elite guys to throw strikes at us for 9 innings. Let's take advantage of guys who haven't seen a lot of work and churn through their bullpen.
I'm good with patience, what I'm not good with is watching strike 3 fly by without even getting the bat off your shoulders.

Well we are hitting under 200 as a team and are 2-0 in the CWS. Doubt many of us saw that coming regardless of the circumstances. Certainly feel we will need to score some runs going forward though.
I've been concerned about our BA when we get to ACC play all season.

• Haha
Reactions: WRS
If either is throwing well, I imagine LSU rides that as long as they can. But I’d think the expectation is that each guy gives 2-3 IP.

A big key for us today is to drag out long at bats and long innings. They are super thin on the pitching front, and if we take a couple guys that they were planning on 3 IP and turn it into 1.1 IP, they are screwed.
That's going to be where the chess match is. I'd honestly expect Wake to still be pretty patient at the plate at first to see if these guys are hitting their spots. You don't want to sit there and have a bunch of 7 pitch innings because you keep grounding out/flying out on pitch 1 or 2

That's going to be where the chess match is. I'd honestly expect Wake to still be pretty patient at the plate at first to see if these guys are hitting their spots. You don't want to sit there and have a bunch of 7 pitch innings because you keep grounding out/flying out on pitch 1 or 2
double play balls really killed tennessee last night.

This is a super interesting format for anyone wanting to compare pitcher availability

Looks like realistically they've got 4 pitchers available? Cooper through 40 last night, but I guess he'd be able to throw an inning or so as well.

Last year 6 of 15 games had a team scoring double digits and so far this year through 10 games 6 is the most runs scored. You would have to figure that can't hold out. We need to tattoo the depth of their bullpen.

Back