• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest 2023 baseball season thread (Deacs end historic season with extra inning loss to LSU: Final record 54-12 and top 4 finish nationally)

I've been a Wake fan my entire life. That's all I've got to say about tonight's game.

I hear you too. It’s a legitimate sentiment. But I’m feeling good about tonight. At some point a good team gets tired of not playing up to their potential. I’m looking forward to seeing how that feeling manifests itself.

Last edited:
Yep. Every pitch is either a ball or a strike. So there is a 50-50 chance it's a strike regardless. If you don't swing, there is a 100% chance that you won't hit the ball. If you do swing it raises the odds of hitting the ball dramatically. And if we don't win tonight, there is a 100% chance our season is over. If we do win, there is a 50-50 chance we win the National Championship. So there is much more to gain by swinging away.

I like that we have been watching pitches, getting walks and forcing LSU to go to the bullpen early and often, but…we need to get the bat off our shoulders tonight to win, IMHO.

Thank god the Braves have a day game today. That will at least kill 3 hours. This is going to be a long freaking wait. And of course it’s disgusting outside so there is nothing fun to go do to kill time.

Just a heads up that both coaches have given non-definitive answers on Rhett and Skenes tonight. I do expect that they will both pitch, but would not be shocked if one didn’t or if they only had a few innings.
What are the options for LSU if they hold back Skenes? To be clear, that’s meant to be a question. I don’t follow them enough to know the possibilities.

What are the options for LSU if they hold back Skenes? To be clear, that’s meant to be a question. I don’t follow them enough to know the possibilities.
I really don't think they have any. They have really burned through some arms to get this chance which is why the first win was so important. We have our regular Friday night lineup relatively ready to go with our midweek starter available out of the pen. Skenes is otherworldly good, and it's not a given that they run away with it tonight.

They had Thatcher Hurd warming up in the bullpen last night, after he threw 65 pitches against us on Monday, so I would imagine they deem him available for some innings tonight

Skenes threw more pitches Saturday and pitched later in the day, so maybe Lowder is just a touch more rested, but not enough to think it'd make a difference.

I like that we have been watching pitches, getting walks and forcing LSU to go to the bullpen early and often, but…we need to get the bat off our shoulders tonight to win, IMHO.
Yea, I feel the same. Probably a deliberate (and typically, successful) strategy that has "worked" in some sense, but not as far as driving in runs. Kind of reminds me of the post-2016 Chicago Cubs lineup that increasingly became more and more patient and homerun-dependent and, somewhat paradoxically, more and more strikeout-prone as they watched one strike 3 after another whiz down the middle of the plate.

Skenes throw 100+ with movement. These are college hitters - against that kind of stuff they have to guess and if they guess wrong they'll watch the occasional 3rd strike. We can certainly hope Skenes arm tires early or that he's just off under the pressure, but this will probably be a game where we try to work counts, bunt guys over, lean into one, hope to scratch out a couple runs and lean on our pitching. He hasn't given up more than 2 runs since like April and he's in a pitcher's park. Like the first two games, this will be about execution defensively and probably a big hit or two.

Back