• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Basketball - '23-24 Schedule Thread

yea i have to disagree with @CamLemons here

going 5-5 against a tough schedule will go a lot farther than 10-0 against this schedule in this new era of bracketology, and it's better for the players, fans, and programs

and we're also lighting money on fire by paying all of these teams to come to the Joel to lose by 20+ to crowds of hundreds.
That is exactly how Izzo gets in every year even though he may just win 19-20 games total. (Plus others in Big Ten do similar even though they flame out in NCAA). He played Gonzaga, Villanova, Alabama, KY, Oregon, ND, all in November and went 3-3.

Here's what we need for Quad 1 wins:

at Georgia top 75 (#157 last season)
3 games Charleston Classic top 50 (only Houston and North Texas were top 50)
Florida top 30 (#73 last season)
Rutgers top 30 (#40 last season)

If our opponents are similar to last season, we may not get any Quad 1 games. Odds are 1 or 2 games if we advance in the Charleston Classic and Rutgers is good.

Most likely an 11-0 start would be 1-0 Q1, 5-0 Q2, and 5-0 Q4. There's no room for error.
Florida & UGa were both non-winning or losing record teams and Rutgers, who whipped us by 20+ at their place was not an NCAA team either (mainly due to mid season injury). We need a great showing in Charleston. 2-1 at worst.

It looks like Wake will play seven ACC games before spring classes even start.
With 20 ACC games played now most teams will have also. Usually 2 now in Dec and you have 10 weeks in 2024 before second full week of March for ACCT in DC.
We have Sat Dec 2 available I believe, then probably a Fri or Sat game on Dec 29-30.
So might get 5 or 6 games in before students come back at most schools.

God damn I am not ready to be on the bubble for 30 straight games. It destroys my psyche.

Our losses Clemson, Pitt, BC, and Syracuse are what ultimately did us in. Obviously the Monsanto injury was a factor in those last two.

Maybe if we just beat the crappy teams on our ACC schedule for a change we'll be okay.
Those happen to everyone, though. Where we've really fallen flat is not ever beating teams that are better than us. The other problem is that we never beat a team early in the season and have that team rise up the rankings and get better as the season progresses AND those wins we're excited about to begin the season end up disappointing us as the team ends up collapsing. I guess what I'm trying to say is it's damned hard to succeed when God hates you.

Yeah, over the last couple of years it feels like the only win that looked better at the end of the season than when it happened is the UNC victory 2 years ago. And even that didn't matter because they didn't go on a run until after the NCAA Tourney field was announced.

And then last year, as Biff kind of alluded to, we started 6-2 in the ACC (with a win over Duke) and then limped to a 10-10 finish with some bad losses down the stretch.

And then last year, as Biff kind of alluded to, we started 6-2 in the ACC (with a win over Duke) and then limped to a 10-10 finish with some bad losses down the stretch.

True - but WF was out of the tournament once the loss at NC State went final. Wins over BC and Cuse to close the regular season weren't going to get WF into the NCAA (maybe the NIT).

We were rolling when UVA came to town. Top 10 team, weekend. The Joel was pretty full and ready to explode. Kept it semi respectable but pretty much laid an egg. That unfortunately followed us for a while as we lost two close away games, but the absolute meltdown to NC State in there too was a killer. Team was never the same.

Those happen to everyone, though. Where we've really fallen flat is not ever beating teams that are better than us. The other problem is that we never beat a team early in the season and have that team rise up the rankings and get better as the season progresses AND those wins we're excited about to begin the season end up disappointing us as the team ends up collapsing. I guess what I'm trying to say is it's damned hard to succeed when God hates you.

Which is why we need to play more teams better than us to have more chances at a big win.

True - but WF was out of the tournament once the loss at NC State went final. Wins over BC and Cuse to close the regular season weren't going to get WF into the NCAA (maybe the NIT).

Monsanto's injury notwithstanding, if we had won those two games and beaten Miami in the second round instead of losing by two points, we would have remained on the bubble.

Monsanto's injury notwithstanding, if we had won those two games and beaten Miami in the second round instead of losing by two points, we would have remained on the bubble.

the Miami win is pulling all of the weight in this hypothetical - if we had beaten Miami, Duke and Virginia all in a row, we would have had the auto bid !

the Miami win is pulling all of the weight in this hypothetical - if we had beaten Miami, Duke and Virginia all in a row, we would have had the auto bid !

Sure but we were talking about the end of the season.

But beating Miami would have made some impression. I thought you meant beating those teams in succession during the regular season. I didn't check who our next opponent would have been in the ACCT. Duke was also a 5 and UVA was a 4. We beat Duke at home and lost by 2 to them at Cameron. Ultimately the season was over when we lost Monsanto I guess.

But beating Miami would have made some impression. I thought you meant beating those teams in succession during the regular season. I didn't check who our next opponent would have been in the ACCT. Duke was also a 5 and UVA was a 4. We beat Duke at home and lost by 2 to them at Cameron. Ultimately the season was over when we lost Monsanto I guess.
So you’re saying that wins over BC and Cuse weren’t going to get WF into the NCAAT ?

You get the auto bid for winning the ACC tournament.

No, like I said, if we had beaten BC and Syracuse, and then beaten Miami, we would have been on the bubble.

Back