• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Basketball - '23-24 Schedule Thread

Heard a fun mixed metaphor yesterday when a client told me he didn't want to put the egg before the chicken. I didn't bother correcting him.

Last edited:
Going 3-0 Q2 in Charleston and avoiding an upset Houston team seems worse than going 2-1 with a quality loss to a top 5 Houston team. Yes that’s strange but it seems like how the committee works.

It looks like Wake will play seven ACC games before spring classes even start.

Last year in Charleston, Penn State played VPI in round one. Believe those were the two best teams there. I’m curious to see who plays Houston in the opening game - I wonder if Forbes is lobbying for that.

Going 3-0 Q2 in Charleston and avoiding an upset Houston team seems worse than going 2-1 with a quality loss to a top 5 Houston team. Yes that’s strange but it seems like how the committee works.
Hard to predict without knowing how each team finishes the season, but know I much prefer to go 3-0 and take some champion momentum into the rest of the season. Will be hard to find much negativity if Houston gets upset and Wake leaves champs with wins over N Texas, Dayton, and Pitino.

I wonder what, if anything, this says about Forbes’ belief in the team?
It definitely says something.

Either you believe that Currie/Forbes are oblivious to what the select committee cares about, or they have doubts on this team's ceiling. What's more likely?

I don't buy that they just "can't" get better teams on the schedule for some unsaid reason.

This schedule will make Wake, on paper, look decent in W and Ls. But this is not the schedule of a confident tournament team.

This is putting all the chips on Year 5 of Forbes, waiting for another solid year of recruiting/transfers. Another year that is not embarrassing gives Forbes time, and this schedule secures that. Given where Wake has been, think most fans are OK to wait another season.

I'd bet it's a combination of Forbes wanting legitimate cupcakes to prep what will be a talented, but hugely overhauled, roster - along with the fact that roughly 100+ coaches are dying to schedule those magic middle-tier teams that can take advantage of the easy side of each quad bucket.

Reminds me of the golf saying - if you're going to lay up, LAY UP. There's a lot of ways to measure value beyond just the NET, from team confidence, minutes for depth guys, etc. Really doubt Forbes is just fucking up the scheduling.

I think Forbes largely relies on the ACC being good. As long as it’s respectable the weak OOC schedule just serves as time to prepare rosters that have had massive turnover in recent years.

Last edited:
I'd bet it's a combination of Forbes wanting legitimate cupcakes to prep what will be a talented, but hugely overhauled, roster - along with the fact that roughly 100+ coaches are dying to schedule those magic middle-tier teams that can take advantage of the easy side of each quad bucket.

Reminds me of the golf saying - if you're going to lay up, LAY UP. There's a lot of ways to measure value beyond just the NET, from team confidence, minutes for depth guys, etc. Really doubt Forbes is just fucking up the scheduling.

I wonder how much cupcakes actually help teams prep for quality opponents.

But I don’t buy that explanation because the three cupcake stretch is between the heart of the non-con and ACC play.

I wonder how much cupcakes actually help teams prep for quality opponents.

But I don’t buy that explanation because the three cupcake stretch is between the heart of the non-con and ACC play.

I don't like it, but have to admit it'll be fun to watch us beat Delaware State and Presby back to back by a combined score of 210-85.

Forbes has credited the walk-ons with crucial scout team work after certain wins.

With this schedule, he's giving back -- all for one, one for all. QED.

I don't like it, but have to admit it'll be fun to watch us beat Delaware State and Presby back to back by a combined score of 210-85.
Yep. Forbes first WF team which was terrible (6-16; 3-15) beat Del State by 60. Yes, that sorry WF team beat Delaware State by S-I-X-T-Y. Tariq Ingraham who subsequently transferred and last year rode the bench at Rider, had 19 points in 17 minutes against Del State in that blowout; if Ingraham had played the full game, he might have scored 50. FWIW, that 2021 Del. State team was ranked #352 in KP. Last year's Del State team was ranked 356. So, the Hornets do not seem to be improving. Don't understand anyone defending renewing the Del State/WF rivalry this season.

Last edited:
Wonder if they struck out trying to schedule a few Q2 teams and just figured hell, if it's going to be a quad 4 game might as well play a 300+ team. A quad 4 loss is basically kryptonite, so playing like the 165th team at home is a terrible risk to take. What we really need is like a DePaul or Mississippi road game in the mix...

This is putting all the chips on Year 5 of Forbes, waiting for another solid year of recruiting/transfers. Another year that is not embarrassing gives Forbes time, and this schedule secures that. Given where Wake has been, think most fans are OK to wait another season.

What are you babbling on about? The '23-'24 campaign is the true Year 3 of Forbes.

And anyone who thinks he designs the OOC schedule "not to be embarrassing" to avoid some hypothetical hot seat has clearly lost it.

What are you babbling on about? The '23-'24 campaign is the true Year 3 of Forbes.

And anyone who thinks he designs the OOC schedule "not to be embarrassing" to avoid some hypothetical hot seat has clearly lost it.
This schedule is not built to maximize NCAAT bid chance, but overall wins. Why else would you schedule so many bad teams?

It’s going to come down to winning 13+ ACC games again to have any tourney chance. It will be the third year in a row we are hoping for that.

I rather see us go .500 and at least give ourselves a fighting chance against more good teams then another bubble campaign in a weak ACC. This schedule is pointing towards the latter.

I think Forbes largely relies on the ACC being good. As long as it’s respectable the weak OOC schedule just serves as time to prepare rosters that have had massive turnover in recent years.
Yes more turnover than ever in the history of college hoops. So he may say he wants to lose Q1 games to help our chances, but what he really wants to do is WIN and go 30-3.

Imagine how bad this schedule would have been if we didn't get out of the Cayman Island tourney.
Definitely… but the fact he forced Wake out of that to go to Charleston should clearly show he isn’t afraid for this team to be playing top 200 teams at the Joel.

Back